ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 7, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #4,516 of 6,290
I like your choice of valves but do try CV2493 (Mullard, often also labelled E88CC-01); I'd say it's significantly better than CV2492 even though only one digit different.
Expensive, not that easy to find, but to me definitely the best of the 6922 family, and the only one of this family I ever use.

I also agree about tube rolling.
Definitely appreciate the recommendation. Right now I’m standing pat on LP tubes — have spent way more than the price of amp on tubes — including 12AU7s w/ adapters.

Plus, I’ve gotten quite involved with a new girl, BottleHead Crack w/ Speedball :)

May 7, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #4,517 of 6,290
Phew, after 30 hours of burn-in, something has already happened.
And you can still use the good piece and experience goosebump moments.
The thing is already a monster, although I thought about changing the pads I left the universe on.

Although the first 2 days the universe seemed a bit claustrophobic when I put it on, I seem to be getting used to it.
I think it's because the universe play so well and my brain subconsciously makes that compromise.

I only notice the unclean passages very little and they are less frequent than at the beginning.
So it will.
What's really hard is to take it out of your head, you still want to listen to a song and suddenly 1-2 hours have passed.

Some better picture:
20230507_170644.jpg

20230507_170649.jpg
How do you like the lektrik cable? I'm on the fence between upgrading the stock cable or not.

ZMF cables are a bit pricey but i intend to have more than one ZMF hp over the years and the cables are beautiful.

May 7, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #4,518 of 6,290
Phew, after 30 hours of burn-in, something has already happened.
And you can still use the good piece and experience goosebump moments.
The thing is already a monster, although I thought about changing the pads I left the universe on.

Although the first 2 days the universe seemed a bit claustrophobic when I put it on, I seem to be getting used to it.
I think it's because the universe play so well and my brain subconsciously makes that compromise.

I only notice the unclean passages very little and they are less frequent than at the beginning.
So it will.
What's really hard is to take it out of your head, you still want to listen to a song and suddenly 1-2 hours have passed.

Some better picture:
20230507_170644.jpg

20230507_170649.jpg
If you want more space, the Auteur perforated leather pads throw a larger stage, smooth the highs just a little, and add a little more mid bass punch.

May 7, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #4,519 of 6,290
How do you like the lektrik cable? I'm on the fence between upgrading the stock cable or not.

ZMF cables are a bit pricey but i intend to have more than one ZMF hp over the years and the cables are beautiful.
Hello,

Look here I posted something in the Auteur threth today:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-auteur-thread.862918/page-508#post-17548857

I will have to give the Lektrik C some more time before I can judge it.
Further up in my first post where I received the Atrium I wrote that it is still a bit messy.
And I suspect the cable.
Since I've done some myself, I've noticed similar things when they were fresh and it settled down over time.

In the Auteur threath I also wrote that the Audeze cable from the Lcd 2C is not wrong.
I suspect it has almost a tick cable sound from Audeze itself and sounded great on the Auteur.
Also better than the platinum plated silver/copper cable that comes from custom with the specs UP-OCC spec, 26AWG, 30 strands, silver plating, PTFE insulation.

Not too much difference though, more in the subtle area.

When the Lektrik C has more hours on it, I can test it again with the Auteur against the Audeze cable.
And compare which is better or the same in the end.

Personally, I've moved away from the silver, the copper somehow offers more, it's more refined, more forgiving.

Oh yes, the stock cable that came with the Auteur was not mine.
I'll have to test the Ofc that came with the Atrium when the time comes.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #4,521 of 6,290
Ouufff, the atrium is killing me.
I'm about to hit the 70-hour mark from burn-in.
And it's already amazing what sounds it can produce.

I always find myself stopping when I'm writing because I get lost in the music.
And I haven't even changed the pads, they're still the Universe ones.
In addition, I haven't even unpacked the best tubes for the amp.
I've never had a pair of headphones that I could enjoy after unpacking them for such a short time.

I no longer hear any unclean passages or a slight scratching.
It looks like it will stop completely after about 50 hours.

There were also certain things in the music that I hadn't heard before with the Auteur Og.
Even with the volume, it really doesn't take much to make it sound amazing.
I'm still a bit reserved in the burn in phase, but with the Atrium you don't have to be afraid that something won't come out.

I have read from some users that they enjoyed the Burn in phase the most and then the Atrium changed for them a little less in the direction of the Burn in phase.
I don't know if that's true or not.

After having listened to it several times now, the Atrium offers a different music experience.
In a really good smooth way.
Really great work what was done there.

One comment on the wood itself, I have the impression that the decay is extremely good.
There is often neither too much nor too little. For me personally, there is nothing where I would say it could be a bit more.
I have the feeling that the notes blend beautifully and cleanly into one another.
I notice absolutely nothing with the reverb, even with bass-heavy songs.

What I find difficult is that you don't want to take the headphones off.
Even if you have to go to the bathroom, you'd rather hold on for 3-5 minutes longer because the next song is just as good a piece. Although you could actually rewind, it's much more about not disturbing the Chi.:laughing::innocent::laughing::innocent:

May 14, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #4,524 of 6,290
I was wondering if anyone has compared atrium with caldera pads? I haven’t been following this thread as closely these days so sorry if this has been asked a lot. I have the atrium open and I really liked the caldera pads when I tried caldera.

May 14, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #4,525 of 6,290
Hello,

Today I unpacked this cute little goodie.
Since it's on sale and no one wants it, I'm going to keep it.
I will finish the burn in process with it.

Capella.jpg

This little British treasure makes a really great sound with the Atrium.
Almost on a par with a tube amp, I must say, even though it's an SS amp.
I am surprised myself.
The tones that the Atrium produces with it almost took my breath away.
Soft and delicate in the vocals, the bass is firm and biting deep, and great low end.
The amp is paired with Gustard R26.
The amp was once available for €250-300 and I didn't actually use it for long, it dates back to the first time I had equipment.
It wasn't that great back then, but now I'm surprised at how good it actually is.
It looks like it's no longer for sale on the homepage.

May 14, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #4,526 of 6,290
I was wondering if anyone has compared atrium with caldera pads? I haven’t been following this thread as closely these days so sorry if this has been asked a lot. I have the atrium open and I really liked the caldera pads when I tried caldera.

I tried that, it didn’t work well… 🤷‍♂️

May 14, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,527 of 6,290

I tried that, it didn’t work well… 🤷‍♂️
Zach recommends the Ultra perforated Caldera pads for Atrium open. Not the stock caldera pads as the insides is solid leather.

May 14, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #4,529 of 6,290
Zach recommends the Ultra perforated Caldera pads for Atrium open. Not the stock caldera pads as the insides is solid leather.
And i did just that. Caldera ultra perf makes the Atrium sound magical with air and treble i have yet heard from this headphone.

May 14, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #4,530 of 6,290

Users who are viewing this thread

Back