ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Nov 17, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,766 of 6,229
I hope this happens. We’ll see, but I ain’t holding my breath.

I even reached out to Doug a bit ago when I was on the hunt for a 3F to pair with my VOs (heard Zach’s 3F at a meet and loved the sound), but despite some talk of producing more, the waitlist nature of trying to purchase one of his units turned me off. No hate, it’s the nature of the game when dealing with boutique, one man shop builders who have day jobs and all, but the “unobtainium” nature of some of these desired amps isn’t an outright enjoyable experience, even if the reasons for it are understandable.
When 3F was in production the wait time was not bad. I placed order in May or June and got it in Sept in 2019.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #3,767 of 6,229
Not sure how many 3FN's Nitsch is producing, but whatever stock he has at release should be available immediately I would think.

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,768 of 6,229
I understand the out of production frustration but 3Fs definitely show up on the second hand market fairly often. I'd say at least one a month or every other month? Much easier to find than some of the unobtainium OTLs often talked about.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #3,771 of 6,229
When 3F was in production the wait time was not bad. I placed order in May or June and got it in Sept in 2019.
Funny how perspectives vary. I would have said:

When 3F was in production the wait time took forever. I placed order in May or June and didn't receive it until Sept in 2019.

Apparently I need to learn patience :)

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,772 of 6,229
Is there something in particular you don't like or would like to improve with the Atrium? Did you receive the Tuba?
Atrium is a very good headphone even on my solid state FA-10, what I tried to find is the what had Wowed me during CanJam SoCal when I demoed VO. I might have also demoed another headphone (don't remember the details since it was handed over to me from a staff as he suggested to try). I figured what I like is the ZMF house sound, given a friend I trusted ranked Atrium above VC (I heard VO and VC is almost identitcal in sound signature). Now I already received my Tuba, I will spend more time with them. Unfortunately I will have to travel this weekend.

I think the only way to figure out my preference is to have VC and Atrium at home for some long-term listening. This past CanJam is my first audiophile event and first time to demo anything other than what I bought, therefore, lots of regret. For ZMF, I need to spend more time, and get familiar with all the models. Unfortunately, the impression of ZMF to me prior to Canjam was not so good since I thought the followers of ZMF headphone talked too much on the wood, the decor, and the other value not related to sound.

I originally don't even plan to spend time on ZMF booth, I only planned to visit Hifiman, Audeze, Focal, and Abyss since my primary interest was on IEMs. For some reason during the last few hours, I just walked by and picked up a ZMF VO and I was totally blew away, and I found myself prefer the sound signature of ZMF to Susvara, 1266, or stax sr-x9000.

In short, after I got my Atrium, I was looking for what I experienced in ZMF booth in CanJam. I guess the lesson I learned is, never forgot to take notes of what the sound chain they have during the demo.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,773 of 6,229
I hope this happens. We’ll see, but I ain’t holding my breath.

I even reached out to Doug a bit ago when I was on the hunt for a 3F to pair with my VOs (heard Zach’s 3F at a meet and loved the sound), but despite some talk of producing more, the waitlist nature of trying to purchase one of his units turned me off. No hate, it’s the nature of the game when dealing with boutique, one man shop builders who have day jobs and all, but the “unobtainium” nature of some of these desired amps isn’t an outright enjoyable experience, even if the reasons for it are understandable.
ECP has always been boutique, craft and move on, from the two Black Diamond amplifier beta through varied DSHA iterations. Licencing through Beezar and NITSCH continue to offer availability and affordability. If you actually want a 3F, you can find them on the market for their very fair and strong held market price.

Now if you want a Copenhagen or custom DSHA-4-type, you are going to pay up the unobtainium fee.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #3,774 of 6,229
I don't think he's doing Copenhagen, at least the SS version because of parts. I asked. Last he told me he was doing a one off DHT. I doubt anyone wants to know the price of that one.

Nov 17, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #3,775 of 6,229
I don't think he's doing Copenhagen, at least the SS version because of parts. I asked. Last he told me he was doing a one off DHT. I doubt anyone wants to know the price of that one.
Oh, I'd be in for a DHT of his design.

Nov 17, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #3,776 of 6,229
Atrium is a very good headphone even on my solid state FA-10, what I tried to find is the what had Wowed me during CanJam SoCal when I demoed VO. I might have also demoed another headphone (don't remember the details since it was handed over to me from a staff as he suggested to try). I figured what I like is the ZMF house sound, given a friend I trusted ranked Atrium above VC (I heard VO and VC is almost identitcal in sound signature). Now I already received my Tuba, I will spend more time with them. Unfortunately I will have to travel this weekend.

I think the only way to figure out my preference is to have VC and Atrium at home for some long-term listening. This past CanJam is my first audiophile event and first time to demo anything other than what I bought, therefore, lots of regret. For ZMF, I need to spend more time, and get familiar with all the models. Unfortunately, the impression of ZMF to me prior to Canjam was not so good since I thought the followers of ZMF headphone talked too much on the wood, the decor, and the other value not related to sound.

I originally don't even plan to spend time on ZMF booth, I only planned to visit Hifiman, Audeze, Focal, and Abyss since my primary interest was on IEMs. For some reason during the last few hours, I just walked by and picked up a ZMF VO and I was totally blew away, and I found myself prefer the sound signature of ZMF to Susvara, 1266, or stax sr-x9000.

In short, after I got my Atrium, I was looking for what I experienced in ZMF booth in CanJam. I guess the lesson I learned is, never forgot to take notes of what the sound chain they have during the demo.

The best advice I could give you is to be patient before giving up on the Atrium, your experience will probably be much better once you will have the chance to try the Tuba for a longer period of time. It's a great amp for the Atrium. Do you know which mesh filter you have? If it's the solid mesh filter, I highly recommend you to try the vented mesh or to remove the filter completely. You should also try to experiment with different pads. To my ears, the Auteur leather perforated is the best option, but I know a lot of people also prefer the Universe leather perforated.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #3,777 of 6,229
The best advice I could give you is to be patient before giving up on the Atrium, your experience will probably be much better once you will have the chance to try the Tuba for a longer period of time. It's a great amp for the Atrium. Do you know which mesh filter you have? If it's the solid mesh filter, I highly recommend you to try the vented mesh or to remove the filter completely. You should also try to experiment with different pads. To my ears, the Auteur leather perforated is the best option, but I know a lot of people also prefer the Universe leather perforated.
Will try that after I went back from my trip next week, thanks for the advise.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #3,778 of 6,229
I asked Doug about building an amp for the 1266 which is the 4F and based off the 3F with an extra gain stage and higher current in the output stage.
The pandemic certainly caused issues with many suppliers considering ECP does small batch runs.

Ask him what he plans to do if you can pull him away from woodworking.

Doug said elsewhere "A more powerful amp with a similar-ish topology [to the 3F] is something that has been built on breadboard, but moving from experiment to manufacturing is a huge step. It is not something that is specifically in the works as of right now."

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #3,779 of 6,229
Atrium is a headphone that has grown on me unlike any other. Started out enjoying it, but it's probably my favorite headphone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back