ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Nov 16, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #3,751 of 6,196
I've been splitting my time of late between the Atrium and CA1a and I'll say that these are two of the best headphones I've heard in my many years in the hobby and represent the reasons why I still buy stuff to try out. Amazing results in very different ways.

But what I will say about the Atrium is that every time I listen to it I get a feeling to just sell everything else. It's the headphone equivalent of my wife, it just makes me happy, all the time, in many different ways.

I told her that this morning and her response was an eye roll. She asked does that mean I'll sell the other headphones and I replied do you want me to and put the proceeds in the market? Lol

A few months of ownership in, this probably is my favorite headphone ever. This is like my 3F, I will never sell it (well until I see one I like the looks of better).
Audeze 3F?

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #3,752 of 6,196
Nov 16, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #3,753 of 6,196
Nov 16, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #3,754 of 6,196
Ah, I see. Never heard of that amp until now.
Check out NITSCH as they will release the 3FN or wait as ECP releases the 4F which will encompass more power for planar drive.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #3,755 of 6,196
Check out NITSCH as they will release the 3FN or wait as ECP releases the 4F which will encompass more power for planar drive.
Cool - thanks for the info!

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #3,756 of 6,196
But what I will say about the Atrium is that every time I listen to it I get a feeling to just sell everything else.

I'm getting there as well, maybe it's time for me to leave head-fi and enjoy the Atrium for the rest of my life.

Such an amazing headphone. If anyone is having second thoughts on buying used or for ZMF November, don’t. I was skeptical at first and bought other headphones before it which I will now be selling almost all of. This beats a lot of headphones in a lot of sound qualities and the build quality is unmatched in all that I have tested. Everything down to the looks, feel, and smell.

Well said, sadly my VC and Utopia were both gathering dust after I received the Atrium.

Nov 16, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,758 of 6,196
Got to borrow an atrium from a buddy and man are these really awesome. They are also my first ever experience of a zmf headphone. Super impressed and can see why people love them so much.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #3,759 of 6,196
Got to borrow an atrium from a buddy and man are these really awesome. They are also my first ever experience of a zmf headphone. Super impressed and can see why people love them so much.

Hey buddy. These are great ZMF headphones to try first, probably the most differentiated from your current collection. Enjoy :)

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #3,760 of 6,196
I'm getting there as well, maybe it's time for me to leave head-fi and enjoy the Atrium for the rest of my life.

Well said, sadly my VC and Utopia were both gathering dust after I received the Atrium.
Interesting, I am thinking about trading my Atrium for a VC if I found VC is more preferable. I need to get a VC first.

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #3,761 of 6,196
Interesting, I am thinking about trading my Atrium for a VC if I found VC is more preferable. I need to get a VC first.
Interesting! I own both (VC and Atrium) and they're the only two ZMFs I own. Atrium sound has grown on me more and more. I liked it a lot to begin with which is why I bought it, but now I really love it and it's my favorite of the two. The tonality takes a bit to get used to coming from planars (specifically HiFiMan and Audeze) headphones.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #3,762 of 6,196
This is the first I’ve ever heard of a possible DSHA-4F. Is this product confirmed?

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #3,763 of 6,196
This is the first I’ve ever heard of a possible DSHA-4F. Is this product confirmed?
I asked Doug about building an amp for the 1266 which is the 4F and based off the 3F with an extra gain stage and higher current in the output stage.
The pandemic certainly caused issues with many suppliers considering ECP does small batch runs.

Ask him what he plans to do if you can pull him away from woodworking.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #3,764 of 6,196

Very nice friend you got there!

I don't know that I would trust my own wife with my pair, hell, I barely trust myself handling them :joy: :joy:

Think I'd probably lose a little bit, okay maybe a lotta bit of sleep if they were outside my house.

As you say, they are very nice headphones, super fun to listen to which makes them super hard to put down.

Enjoy them!

Nov 17, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #3,765 of 6,196
I asked Doug about building an amp for the 1266 which is the 4F and based off the 3F with an extra gain stage and higher current in the output stage.
The pandemic certainly caused issues with many suppliers considering ECP does small batch runs.

Ask him what he plans to do if you can pull him away from woodworking.
I hope this happens. We’ll see, but I ain’t holding my breath.

I even reached out to Doug a bit ago when I was on the hunt for a 3F to pair with my VOs (heard Zach’s 3F at a meet and loved the sound), but despite some talk of producing more, the waitlist nature of trying to purchase one of his units turned me off. No hate, it’s the nature of the game when dealing with boutique, one man shop builders who have day jobs and all, but the “unobtainium” nature of some of these desired amps isn’t an outright enjoyable experience, even if the reasons for it are understandable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back