ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Oct 7, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #3,301 of 6,519
I keep hearing and reading in a lot of reviews that the Atriums are not that detailed. I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Are not soundstage, imaging, and macro dynamics part of the package in being detailed? The Atriums excels in these regards. I think a lot of reviewers and listeners confuse overly focused, etched, and extended highs with being detailed. The Atriums sound like real music and really that should be the goal. In the end there are phones that do place an emphasis on overly extended highs, but is that really natural? My ears tell me the Atriums sound like real music much more than many phones that place an unnatural emphasis on highs. Ymmv but that's what I hear when listening to the Atriums.
Very well said IMO. There are some telltale indicators in songs that many look for when demoing. For me, I hear them all when listening for them, but they're just not up in my face. Or ears. Whatever. The thing is I have to actively listen for them because I'm getting lost in the music when I listen with Atrium. THAT means more to me than hyper-detail.

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #3,302 of 6,519
I keep hearing and reading in a lot of reviews that the Atriums are not that detailed. I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Are not soundstage, imaging, and macro dynamics part of the package in being detailed? The Atriums excels in these regards. I think a lot of reviewers and listeners confuse overly focused, etched, and extended highs with being detailed. The Atriums sound like real music and really that should be the goal. In the end there are phones that do place an emphasis on overly extended highs, but is that really natural? My ears tell me the Atriums sound like real music much more than many phones that place an unnatural emphasis on highs. Ymmv but that's what I hear when listening to the Atriums.
They’re just not in your face with detail, but it’s definitely there.
Although with the stock cable you’re missing quite a lot I found.

Oct 7, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #3,303 of 6,519
They’re just not in your face with detail, but it’s definitely there.
Although with the stock cable you’re missing quite a lot I found.
I’m using the Lavrigrand Cable and seems to be an excellent pairing so far. Going to try Arctic Magnus in a few days.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #3,304 of 6,519
IMG_20221007_182522.jpg

My Atrium has arrived yay, its Cocobolo with black chassis and stainless steel grill/rods (please forgive my total lack of photography skills)

While I do on the whole like it, I had asked in the build notes for a redder model, this is in person, not that red, the photo makes it look brighter than what it is. Mainly I didnt want a dark/deep brown model that some people posted photos of here, my Verite is Ziricote all black and very dark for that wood, you cant even see the grain, I wanted something brighter as a contrast, hence the stainless steel this time as well. The Atrium while not the brick red I was hoping for is atleast not that brown, its got a surprising amount of yellow in it, almost like dark honey, the more I look at it the more I think what it really looks like is Mahogany wood, I do actually like Mahogany so this could work, now to begin the long process of burning in the headphone along with multiple sets of new power and pre-amp tubes.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #3,305 of 6,519
Hey, got my Atriums in about 2 weeks ago and have been pad rolling quite a bit, and also grabbed a pair of ZMF Lambskin (perforated for Elex - Clear - Utpoia - Elear) for my Focals. Now, these ZMF pads for the Focals are a tad bit smaller in diameter, but with a bit of convincing I can get them on the Atrium and they are my favorite pads as of this moment from what I have tried.

Interestingly enough, the stock pads that come with the Harmonicdyne Zeus are a very close 2nd place. These too are also just a bit smaller in diameter, but again, with a bit of convincing they also fit on the Atrium. Actually, these are quite good with the Atrium - only downside here is they are a bit thin, and your ear presses up against the internals - I think if these were thicker, they'd be my favorite.

I have a pair of the Brainwavz XL micro suede on the way - interested in these as I find the Verite Be² Suede (perforated) a very close #3, and think they might have been my favorite if they were a bit thicker opening things up a bit. And I find the stock leather perforated pads the least appealing.

I also have some Dekoni pads made for Fostex which can fit, and those are #4 in my opinion. The stock leather perforated pads sonically aren't something I enjoy unfortunately, specially since they are so comfortable.

But, just wanted to let anyone know that may have those same Focal pads or Zeus pads to give them a go on the Atrium, you might find them very good!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #3,306 of 6,519
the long process of burning in the headphone along with multiple sets of new power and pre-amp tubes.
congrats on your new ZMF. Theyre lovely!

A word of caution about your new tubes. It is wise when using new tubes to not connect a good/expensive headphone to the amp initially. Many tube amp owners have a sacrificial pair of headphones to use for the sole purpose of new tube testing. In case of an arc over, or some other unfortunate issue that can happen with tubes, instead of losing the driver(s) of a ZMF, use a headphone that isnt so costly. In my case I have a 600 ohm Beyer DT880 as well as a 600 ohm AKG K340, both of which I use exclusively for new tube testing.
30 minutes is plenty of time in my experience before its safe to use your good headphones.

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #3,307 of 6,519
congrats on your new ZMF. Theyre lovely!

A word of caution about your new tubes. It is wise when using new tubes to not connect a good/expensive headphone to the amp initially. Many tube amp owners have a sacrificial pair of headphones to use for the sole purpose of new tube testing. In case of an arc over, or some other unfortunate issue that can happen with tubes, instead of losing the driver(s) of a ZMF, use a headphone that isnt so costly. In my case I have a 600 ohm Beyer DT880 as well as a 600 ohm AKG K340, both of which I use exclusively for new tube testing.
30 minutes is plenty of time in my experience before its safe to use your good headphones.
This is great advice! I wish someone with more knowledge like yourself gave this to me about 4 months ago, as the right driver of a not cheap pair of headphones was blown out because of this.

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #3,308 of 6,519
Although LCD5 excels in technicalities. I feel the Atrium has great transparency, tonal balance, great overall tuning. Very emotive and engaging with excellent reverb/decay.

Agree. I was originally excited to try the LCD-5, but when I did, I felt nothing. They measure well and are technically extremely proficient (as they were so designed) but, to my ears, they are bland. With the Atrium, I'm listening to my music rather than to my my gear.

None of the ZMFs I've tried (VC, Atrium, Atticus, and Aeolus) slam in the same way Audezes do, down to the lowest sub-bass

The ZMF headphones mentioned above are dynamic drivers. Planars like Audeze have a natural edge in sub-bass extension. But these ZMF heaphones are so much more organic/natural sounding.

Now with the Caldera released, if Zach managed to mesh the ZMF natural tuning with the planar bass and technicalities, which early indications suggest, it would be a massive feat.

I keep hearing and reading in a lot of reviews that the Atriums are not that detailed. I'm sorry but I don't agree with this.

There are some more resolving headphones (e.g. on the extreme, the X9k). But there is a point where increasing resolution isn't necessary. Using the analogy of TV, you can move from 4k to 8k, but you'll need to sit 2' away to see the difference. But you'll appreciate the color tones, blacks, etc. at any distance (sorry, not a very creative analogy:wink:).

So many factors come together: resolution, soundstage, imaging, layering, and the harmonics/timbre critically. The Atrium may or may not be the best resolving but, simply put, to me they don't lack any resolution whatsoever.

[edit: typos corrected]

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #3,309 of 6,519
Hey, got my Atriums in about 2 weeks ago and have been pad rolling quite a bit, and also grabbed a pair of ZMF Lambskin (perforated for Elex - Clear - Utpoia - Elear) for my Focals. Now, these ZMF pads for the Focals are a tad bit smaller in diameter, but with a bit of convincing I can get them on the Atrium and they are my favorite pads as of this moment from what I have tried.

Interestingly enough, the stock pads that come with the Harmonicdyne Zeus are a very close 2nd place. These too are also just a bit smaller in diameter, but again, with a bit of convincing they also fit on the Atrium. Actually, these are quite good with the Atrium - only downside here is they are a bit thin, and your ear presses up against the internals - I think if these were thicker, they'd be my favorite.

I have a pair of the Brainwavz XL micro suede on the way - interested in these as I find the Verite Be² Suede (perforated) a very close #3, and think they might have been my favorite if they were a bit thicker opening things up a bit. And I find the stock leather perforated pads the least appealing.

I also have some Dekoni pads made for Fostex which can fit, and those are #4 in my opinion. The stock leather perforated pads sonically aren't something I enjoy unfortunately, specially since they are so comfortable.

But, just wanted to let anyone know that may have those same Focal pads or Zeus pads to give them a go on the Atrium, you might find them very good!

You're definitely into padd rolling... I do that very rarely, but a quick generic note I thought make a quick comment: any pad you like, if it were deeper, the actual sound profile would change, as the distance of the driver from the ear and its angle (beyond materials and ventilation) are key to the sonic outcome

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #3,310 of 6,519
You're definitely into padd rolling... I do that very rarely, but 2 quick generic notes I thought make a quick comment: any pad you like, if it were deeper, the actual sound profile would change, as the distance of the driver from the ear and its angle (beyond materials and ventilation) are key to the sonic outcome
Ya, I am thinking if the stock leather Atrium pads were the same thickness all around, they'd essentially be the same as the Focal lambskin perforated pads, as at their thickest section seems to be the same as what the Focal pads are all around, and be something I really enjoy.

The stock perforated leather pads are very bright compared to all other pads I have tried, bright to a point I am unable to enjoy them. And unless I am reading the pad comparison chart on his website, I was under the impression the leather would be on the darker side of things - I find the Verite Be² Suede to be much warmer/darker than those, and again, unless I am misunderstanding/reading the comparison wrong, those are said to be on the bright side.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #3,311 of 6,519
Ya, I am thinking if the stock leather Atrium pads were the same thickness all around, they'd essentially be the same as the Focal lambskin perforated pads, as at their thickest section seems to be the same as what the Focal pads are all around, and be something I really enjoy.

The stock perforated leather pads are very bright compared to all other pads I have tried, bright to a point I am unable to enjoy them. And unless I am reading the pad comparison chart on his website, I was under the impression the leather would be on the darker side of things - I find the Verite Be² Suede to be much warmer/darker than those, and again, unless I am misunderstanding/reading the comparison wrong, those are said to be on the bright side.

Pad rolling is the simplest path, but if you still find the headphones bright, consider your DAC and Amp pairing. Perhaps a tube amp (OTL for the Atrium should work great) and/or an R2R dac

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #3,312 of 6,519
Now with the Caldera released, if Zach managed to mesh the ZMF natural tuning with the planar bass and technicalities, which early indications suggest, it would be a massive fit.
Oh he definitely did! Can't wait to hear it again and own one. My Atrium won't be going anywhere however.

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #3,313 of 6,519
Raise your hand if you see purple here... 🖐

confection.png

Not at all, right? It's clearly a shade of brown in this picture. Let's check the actual color (RGB)...

color.png

Yep, that's brown alright...same as the text in the marketing label. So, why am I asking?

Photo Aug 13, 11 18 37 AM.jpg

This thing is PURPLE. What the...? And you might be thinking "Are you sure? It looks like you just put it in certain lighting to make it look purple." Nope:

card.png

Wow...feeling pretty bamboozled right about now. You'd think someone would've had the foresight (and 5-7 seconds it takes) to list the color on a pair of three-thousand dollar headphones. I'm not mad, just disappointed. When spending this type of money on something, especially when it's not cancelable or returnable, it better be well represented BEFORE the time of purchase.

Now to find a buyer out there who likes purple...
What’s wrong with purple? Looks dope. But I get it.

Oct 7, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #3,315 of 6,519

Users who are viewing this thread

Back