ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 4, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #1,486 of 6,249
I’m a convert to the Auteur perforated leather pads. I love the stock Universe pads, but the Auteur pads offer a little more bass and expands the soundstage. Yes please.
I also love the sound of the Auteur pad, but I have to say that I like the fit of the Universe pad the best and it is so close to the Auteur that I tend to stay with it most of the time. Both are super comfortable, but just something about the way the Universe fits and has the exact level of firmness that seems to match the clamp force of my Atrium. Certainly named appropriately. It really strikes a balance of fit/comfort/stage/punch/natural response.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,487 of 6,249
Has anyone tried their Atrium (or other ZMFs) with a Violectric amp? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Burson Soloist 3XP, and these Violectric amps seem like they could be a great match for the Atrium with their high output voltage. I'm looking into the HPA V340 or V550. I'm not quite ready to go down the tube rabbit hole, but this seems like a worthy solid state upgrade until that time comes.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,488 of 6,249
Has anyone tried their Atrium (or other ZMFs) with a Violectric amp? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Burson Soloist 3XP, and these Violectric amps seem like they could be a great match for the Atrium with their high output voltage. I'm looking into the HPA V340 or V550. I'm not quite ready to go down the tube rabbit hole, but this seems like a worth solid state upgrade until that time comes.
Just go ahead and get a tube amp! Lol. If you like ZMF cans that's definitely the way to go. I had never heard tubes until I bought the wa22 blind for my VC in March. Best decision I've ever made. I never listen to my VC straight off of my Soloist GT. I do however listen to them wa22 preamp into the GT. Best of both worlds that way. I still like them better straight from the wa22.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #1,489 of 6,249
Has anyone tried their Atrium (or other ZMFs) with a Violectric amp? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Burson Soloist 3XP, and these Violectric amps seem like they could be a great match for the Atrium with their high output voltage. I'm looking into the HPA V340 or V550. I'm not quite ready to go down the tube rabbit hole, but this seems like a worth solid state upgrade until that time comes.
I believe @Pharmaboy owns/owned a Violectric amp. Perhaps he can shed some light on the pairing for you.

Why are you hesitant to get a tube amp?

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #1,490 of 6,249
I believe @Pharmaboy owns/owned a Violectric amp. Perhaps he can shed some light on the pairing for you.

Why are you hesitant to get a tube amp?

Basically, that way lies madness (for me).

I know how I am, and even if I got a great tube amp that sounded amazing out of the box (I have a few I have been eyeing for some time), I know that I would start obsessing about finding and trying new tubes to the point where I would stop focusing on just enjoying my music. Which is really the most important thing.

Tubes will definitely get added to my setup, just not quite yet.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,491 of 6,249
Is there a way to tighten the cups from swiveling in and out to keep a more steady fit on your ears?
You could bend the headband, to make the fit a little tighter. A little info on that here:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #1,493 of 6,249

I know how I am, and even if I got a great tube amp that sounded amazing out of the box (I have a few I have been eyeing for some time), I know that I would start obsessing about finding and trying new tubes to the point where I would stop focusing on just enjoying my music. Which is really the most important thing.

When I bought my wa22 was the moment to where I stopped focusing on this and that and started enjoying the music more. The stock tubes were great in tha wa22 but I upgraded them once and have been fine ever since. To me a tube amp brought out more emotion and soul into my music and made me stop over analyzing the sound. I can just sit back and melt into the music. Tubes have brought me more enjoyment than solid state ever did. I have both and I enjoy both but for me when I want to just sit back and enjoy the music I fire up the wa22 and VC. Ppl can do the same thing with solid state amps as they can with tubes by changing Amps to get a certain sound. For me tubes were the best decision I made. I was nervous about my purchase because I had never heard tubes but it turned out to be a great buy!

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,494 of 6,249
79DC2B66-D979-431B-8162-0CA9DF72DB3C.jpeg
BE4B5A63-1554-46A8-B4E8-51EB92E3556F.jpeg

I ordered an amplifier to use the atrium, but the amplifier came first. LOL.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #1,495 of 6,249
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #1,496 of 6,249

I get it. I not only have an OTL, but a DAC that uses tubes as well, so I can obsess 2 times.

My advice to you is find a few amps that interest you that use the same tube types. Buy one amp and do your research on the God tier tubes for the tube types your amp takes and grab those. If after getting a nice selection of tubes and trying various combos of tubes, if you're unhappy with the sound, it might be time to get a different amp. Get a new amp that hopefully takes the same tube types as your previous amp and begin again.

My current amp uses the same tube types as my previous amp did, so it was literally a plug and play situation. Having to re-learn a tube type and re-purchase a collection of tubes can be daunting and expensive as hell.

One thing I have learned is that there are very few bad sounding tubes. Only bad tube combos for your gears and ears.

You'll know when its time to climb down this rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #1,497 of 6,249
Did you all get the atrium? I still haven't received the order in March in Korea.

I ordered an amplifier to use the atrium, but the amplifier came first. LOL.
I checked our Korean dealers orders and it looks like we owe them one Koa Atrium which I believe was switched to from a stock unit. The change in wood may have delayed the order, but we also didn't receive the order from the dealer until April. It may be worth checking with the dealer on if that unit is yours. Sometimes dealers collect orders for a while before placing their order, which we highly discourage. I don't know if that is the case here or not. Orders weren't supposed to start for dealers or not until April 1st.

The latest orders we have direct are from May right now and many will be shipping in the next ten days of those.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #1,498 of 6,249
I checked our Korean dealers orders and it looks like we owe them one Koa Atrium which I believe was switched to from a stock unit. The change in wood may ha e delayed the order, but we also didn't receive the order from the dealer until April. It may be worth checking with the dealer on if that unit is yours. Sometimes dealers collect orders for a while before placing their order, which we highly discourage. I don't know if that is the case here or not. Orders weren't supposed to start for dealers or not until April 1st.

The latest irders we have direct are from May right now and many will be shipping in the next ten days of those.
I was very curious about the progress. Thank you for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back