ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 1, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #1,471 of 6,327
That is a sick stand! I love vintage bulbs. I have a small nightstand light that takes a cool looking vintage bulb, i can stare at it for hours.

I was going to bend my band a bit to make it tighter, but i'm finding the Atrium is not as seal dependent as my other sets. even with a light clamp the sound is good. I tried pushing them tighter on my head to see how the sound would change, but it didn't, which was nice. my Auteur is not as forgiving, it needs a good seal for the bass to have impact. I bent that band to clamp as tightly as i could tolerate.
I agree it is a very unique looking stand. The only thing that worries me a bit is that the suspension strap of a headphone would be resting on more narrow pipe compared to the grumpy goose that is wider where the strap sits so it is more like when it's on your head. It will probably be fine though. My lcd x is like that. I have a more loose fit with it because it doesn't seem to need a tight seal. I do the same thing to test a seal. If I can push the cups in and it gets louder and more dynamic then I know there is a problem. I had a pad that was stretched on my VC but I didn't realize it was stretched so I started bending the headband. I ended up with a messed up headband. I could press the cups in and it would get louder and more dynamic so I knew something was wrong. It drove me nuts. I ordered new pads and Zach sent a a new Steele piece that was more stiff than the original. I replaced them both and problem solved. Now I don't have to bend the headband at all and my experience with the VC is so much more enjoyable.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #1,472 of 6,327
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #1,474 of 6,327
When in use they’re either on my head or a grumpy goose stand (for those not in the know check Etsy if you’ve not seen them, they’re awesome). At the end of the day they’re back in the case. Btw nice grumpy goose! I have two, one for work one for home. I did notice my Atrium has the last clamp force of all my sets so I’m thinking that might be the culprit. My other sets squeeze the pads together tighter when not on the head. The Atrium doesn’t
Got a link for the stand? It's not coming up for me when I search Etsy.

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,476 of 6,327
If youre interested, send him an email asking to be notified when his next batch becomes available. Seems he puts between 5 & 10 on his site once a month. Please be quick if youre notfied as his last batch sold out in less than an hour.

Jul 1, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #1,477 of 6,327
If youre interested, send him an email asking to be notified when his next batch becomes available. Seems he puts between 5 & 10 on his site once a month. Please be quick if youre notfied as his last batch sold out in less than an hour.
Most definitely gotta be quick. I got the last one he had in June. It took me like 3 months to get one.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #1,478 of 6,327
Man that bass on the Atrium is thunderous at times! I was listening while working, so half listening, half concentrating on my work, and had a softer Fleetwood Mac song on. My random playlist brought the next track up, Take The Power Back by Rage Against The Machine, and it seriously startled me and made me flinch. That song opens with a very loud and strong bass drum double hit, and it HIT. Thankfully no one was looking, but man I seriously startled haha. 10 minutes later I'm still sitting here restarting that track to enjoy that opening, the bass is so hard hitting and tight. Very very satisfying. Anyone have any good tracks that have a strong start like that?
A different genre but the opening seconds of Die Hard by Kendrick Lamar always gets me.

If you are into drums then Chads Smith's drumming from early chili peppers album are quite a treat on the Atrium. Plenty of bangers from Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar to get your blood pumping. 6.00 by Dream Theater is an amazing track that will likely get most turning around on first listen.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,479 of 6,327
Anyone using their Atrium with Feliks Elise/Euforia amp? If so, then what pads are you guys using?

Thank you

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,481 of 6,327
Using mine with Elise. Going back and forth between default lambskin Universe perf and Hybrid universe perf. The hybrids offer a little more air to the top end but stock pads are my fav overall
I agree. I also use my Elise. The stock pads feels very punchy with thick mids and lush top end. The hybrids add to the sparkle up top but imo take away some of the slam from the low end. The hybrids make the atrium sound more like the VO. Which is why I ask currently using the stock univer perf lambskin pads.

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,482 of 6,327
I agree. I also use my Elise. The stock pads feels very punchy with thick mids and lush top end. The hybrids add to the sparkle up top but imo take away some of the slam from the low end. The hybrids make the atrium sound more like the VO. Which is why I ask currently using the stock univer perf lambskin pads.
I agree that the hybrids take away slam. They also seem to take away that awesome 3d imaging especially on tubes. That is what I have have experienced with my VC .

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,485 of 6,327
Is there a way to tighten the cups from swiveling in and out to keep a more steady fit on your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back