ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jun 11, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,201 of 6,376
I used the demo Atriums with my Euforia for about 2-3 weeks. I agree that the Euforia is pretty neutral, but with space and nice decay. It was spectacular with the Atriums, I was actually shocked at how they sounded on my (admittedly low fi) SS after using them entirely on the Euforia.

I'll try put a sense of scale on the difference the Euforia makes. I initially bought the Euforia for the Utopia, a known good synergy. I found it improved them by around 30-40%. The Euforia improves the Atriums by like 80-100% IMO

I haven't tried the Atriums on a different tube amp though, so I can't comment on your predicament. As Zach said, probably worth trying different tubes, my favourite tube roll was a pretty warm, LinLai 6SN7 and Phillips 6080wc.
That was enough to make me order one and find out for myself! From what I remember of the amp, it should pair brilliantly with the Atrium. Im just not sure whether I’ll prefer it over the Cayin, which I love for its versatility and meaty sound. I’ll find out soon enough!

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #1,203 of 6,376
I used the demo Atriums with my Euforia for about 2-3 weeks. I agree that the Euforia is pretty neutral, but with space and nice decay. It was spectacular with the Atriums, I was actually shocked at how they sounded on my (admittedly low fi) SS after using them entirely on the Euforia.

I'll try put a sense of scale on the difference the Euforia makes. I initially bought the Euforia for the Utopia, a known good synergy. I found it improved them by around 30-40%. The Euforia improves the Atriums by like 80-100% IMO

I haven't tried the Atriums on a different tube amp though, so I can't comment on your predicament. As Zach said, probably worth trying different tubes, my favourite tube roll was a pretty warm, LinLai 6SN7 and Phillips 6080wc.

I have the Sparkos Labs Aries, and the Atrium sounds very good on it, but this makes me want to grab the Euforia.. I had the Elise with GEC 6080 + PSVANE tubes on hand a couple of years ago, and it worked well with the VC.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,204 of 6,376
Anyone selling their VO after listening to Atrium?
I find them pretty complementary though I did consider it within the first week of getting the Atrium. The Atrium does sort of fit the hd6xx but more resolving category better than the Verite but there's no denying that the Verite does have it's place and is more laidback than the Atrium and is pretty unique in it's own right. The Atrium is no replacement for the VO and vice versa.

I like the verite pads (using Feliks Euforia) but universe/be2 etc makes the presentetation "wierd" and some registers feels sucked out.
There's no denying that the VO is recessed around the 3-4k range. Regardless of how I feel about it, it is very hit or miss. Part of the reason why I never recommend the VO without caveats as it is one polarising aspect of the VO and Verite in general especially for female vocals. Though I have to mention the VO remains one of the best headphone for jazz.

Is the presentation on the Atrium very different from the Verite? I also enjoy the clarity with the verite pads and im worried that the Atrium will sound muddy.
The Atrium is more even in it's midrange presentation and overall is a bit more forward sounding. It is also one of the most dynamic sounding headphone. If you're coming from a utopia or hd6xx series of headphone, I'd recommend the Atrium over the VO on a blind buy. The Atrium has supersedes the Utopia as my favorite headphone for rock/blues. It has the most natural rendition for drums and guitar to my ears and I can definitely see the appeal of a biocell driver.

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,205 of 6,376
My friend sent me his LTA MZ2 amp (stock tubes, no lps) and I have to say it’s amazing with the Atrium. It’sa wonderful blend of solid state attack and precision and tube warmth and holography. I’m finding it to have incredible synergy, to the point that after a week with the loaner I put in an order for one for myself. It’s also excellent with the Atticus, it brings the thunder! But it’s forward presentation isn’t as great with the Auteur, the upper frequencies get a bit too fatiguing for me. The Atrium though absolutely sings on it. Anyone else using an MZ2?

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #1,206 of 6,376
Looking for some amp recommendations as well. Considering tube amps ranging from Bottlehead Crack to Feliks Echo mkii to DNA Scarlett. Have a Schiit Asgard and Cayin iha-6. Like the softer edge to the Asgard but enjoy the larger stage of the Cayin.

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #1,208 of 6,376
That was enough to make me order one and find out for myself! From what I remember of the amp, it should pair brilliantly with the Atrium. Im just not sure whether I’ll prefer it over the Cayin, which I love for its versatility and meaty sound. I’ll find out soon enough!
I think you'll really like the Feliks over the Cayin for two reasons.

First, the spec of the Cayin gives a -3dB point at 26kHz, which is a bit low. Even though that's above a normal range for our ears, the effect it has on transients and music is probably audible as a slight loss of sparkle and speed. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad amp.

Second, ZMF phones and Atrium in particular work very well with OTL amps; I have compared TC and OTL amps.

I have not got round to measuring the frequency response of my OTL but I expect it goes very high, and I know it is clean and sweet. I expect the Feliks to be similar.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,209 of 6,376
Looking for some amp recommendations as well. Considering tube amps ranging from Bottlehead Crack to Feliks Echo mkii to DNA Scarlett. Have a Schiit Asgard and Cayin iha-6. Like the softer edge to the Asgard but enjoy the larger stage of the Cayin.
The Hagerman Tuba is a great affordable tube amp for the Atrium. I actually prefer it to my Ampsandsound Kenzie models specifically with the Atrium, the synergy is excellent. Also the aforementioned LTA MZ2 is incredible with the Atrium. Though I thought the Tuba synergized better with the Atrium, the Kenzie based amps from Ampsandsound are excellent as well, and are better all around amps than the Tuba. I'd also consider the Pendant, they pop up used from time to time. And Ampsandsound has relaunched the Pendant as the LeeLoo, as the partnership with ZMF has expired. I'd love to hear the Atrium on the Pendant myself, as the Pendant is a very solid-state like amp with wonderful tube characteristics, much like the MZ2. My gut tells me that's going to be a killer combo.

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #1,210 of 6,376
Do you have a budget in mind?

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,212 of 6,376
Most reccomendations are for tube amplifiers, all of which I wholeheartedly agree with as l loved the Starlett with the Verite & Auteur for one, but I am enjoying my Atrium Koa a ton out of the Sparkos Labs Aeris. It is very detailed, quiet, and dynamic, which does well with the Atrium for my preferences.

The Atrium seems to scale nicely with gear, too. I still want to try it with the Euforia, however. The Aeris as a preamp to the Euforia maybe, as it is a great gatekeeper against noise, like a mini Gandalf thou shalt not pass moment.

Only issue I have is that the Aeris (mine?) needs to warm up to sound its best, which is odd for a solid state. Nice amplifier otherwise, albeit SE on its output, which may be a deal-breaker for some.

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #1,213 of 6,376
ZMF Atrium - Aged Cherry

MrNMUI3.jpg
BAbome7.jpg

2pZwIx2.jpg
BBcDGk3.jpg
Z1J3E2J.jpg

3omG1xM.jpg
D1sE2AQ.jpg

Kd2FHay.jpg

rmkBZsk.jpg
8WDBDR4.jpg

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #1,214 of 6,376
ZMF Atrium - Aged Cherry
Those are great shots, and a beautiful Atrium. I'm surprised how dark it is - I really like it.
I wonder if Zach is using a darker stain for the aged cherry these days?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #1,215 of 6,376
Those are great shots, and a beautiful Atrium. I'm surprised how dark it is - I really like it.
I hope the pair I have on order will be like that. :wink:
I wonder if Zach is using a darker stain on the cherry these days?
Thank you for your kind words. I actually asked Zach to go for a hint of dark on the cups. As always, he delivered above and beyond. Could'nt be happier with my set.

PS. It smells just as good as it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back