ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 25, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #976 of 6,229
I listen to such a wide variety of music that no one headphone will be perfect for every song, but the VC/Atrium combo covers just about all the bases for me. Plus they look pretty good together too.

I’m also not a headphone reviewer--I write about music. But I’ll definitely have some sound impressions of the Atrium to share in this forum, once my Atrium has burned in and I’ve had time to do a proper comparison with the VC and Auteur.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.12.58 AM.png

IMG_9317.JPG
Can you give some examples which music you prefer with Atrium and which music you prefers with VC and why? Would be greatly appreciated. I am person who owns VC and follows this thread with interest. I listens to a lot of different music and would like to complement the VC with an open headphone (or go all in with VC but find an endgame amp).

May 25, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #977 of 6,229
May 25, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #978 of 6,229
I am looking for a headphone similar to the Utopia but without the clipping and comfort issues. Looking for a resolving headphone with that’s slightly warmer, maintains a similar speed/punch with a bit more sub bass.

Stuck between the atrium and the Verite open/closed (leaning open).
Both these headphone fit what you're looking for. The Verite does have a slight edge against the Atrium in terms of resolution, speed and deeper sub. It's closer to the Utopia in terms of technicalities and will likely feel more familiar in terms of transients and timbre due to similar drivers used. Key difference between Verite and Atrium is in timbre and overall tonality. For better or worse the Atrium mids sounds fuller and has a more sustained decay. It also has a more even midrange and that to me is the biggest difference between the two. I'd recommend choosing based on tonality as they all play in the same ballpark in terms of straight technicalities. Though that can be hard to gauge on just reviews.

May 25, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #980 of 6,229
I cannot reiterate how absolutely frustrating pad rolling is. It wasn't hard last week but my new pads feels like they are not big enough to fit. ****ing hell.
It surely is not the most fun aspect of ZMF ownership, I'll grant you that. Most people seem to find this video helpful:

May 25, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #981 of 6,229
Feliks-Audio Euforia Anniversary Edition is one of the best OTL tube amps I've ever heard.

The pairing with ZMF Atrium was otherwordly. Bass slam, texture, and speed all got better whereas the stage depth increased noticeably over the other amp I had on the side: Feliks Echo mk.2 (which are no slouch by the way). I guess it's time I updated my ZMF Atrium review because they sure go up a notch in performance after using amps of this class.

IMG_9079.jpg
Very nice! How are you liking the HiFi Rose? I've been considering getting a RS250.

May 25, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #983 of 6,229
20220525_104812.jpg

Just got it 2 days ago..burn in time
Now abt 30 hours, it starts to open up, mid fuller, bass deeper. Treble too but still in the warm side.

Midrange is the strength of Atrium. Cans that easily make people fall in love with.

May 25, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #985 of 6,229
Electric guitar sounds amazing on the Atrium. The aggressive sound with the bass slam makes them my favorite headphone for rock/metal.
I'm with you, it's quickly becoming my headphone of choice for rock/metal. The dynamic drive it has is intoxicating. The Atticus slams harder but I like the added air/treble the Atrium is bringing. And no fatigue with my metal! My Auteur fatigues me with my crappy production quality metal, but not the Atrium. The flip side to that is I think if there's one tiny adjustment i'd make to the tuning, it would be to add just a hair more treble presence. This is a FUN headphone.

May 25, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #986 of 6,229
Anyone else with the Atrium and other ZMFs, are you finding it's a bit trickier to find amp synergy? Like what works with your non-Atriums doesn't sound as great with the Atrium? I am a bit. I have an Atticus and Auteur and love both on either of my Kenzie amps. I tend to listen on the 300ohm taps. But the Atrium, though excellent on it, doesn't sound like it's hitting on all cylinders. I actually prefer it on my Tuba amp high output. But the Atticus/Auteur I don't like on that amp as much. If I use the Tuba, it's the low output. What I like on the Tuba is it gives it a bit more air/treble presence, while thickening up the bass without sacrificing speed. On the Kenzies I can add the air I like via the 300ohm tap, but that makes the bass a bit too slow. But when going down a few impedance taps, the bass improves but at the expense of the treble. Maybe I'm still getting used to the Atrium, I don't know. I just feel like I've yet to find the perfect match for it, amp-wise. Despite my nit picking, I do love it. Since receiving it I have not wanted to listen to any of my other headphones. They're well burned in now so this isn't burn in affecting the sound.

May 25, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #987 of 6,229
20220525_104812.jpg
Just got it 2 days ago..burn in time
Now abt 30 hours, it starts to open up, mid fuller, bass deeper. Treble too but still in the warm side.

Midrange is the strength of Atrium. Cans that easily make people fall in love with.

My delivery got pushed to tomorrow but I got brass as well and every time I see a brass Koa atrium it continues to confirm just how right the choice was. Brass looks perfect with the Koa!!

May 25, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #988 of 6,229
I'm with you, it's quickly becoming my headphone of choice for rock/metal. The dynamic drive it has is intoxicating. The Atticus slams harder but I like the added air/treble the Atrium is bringing. And no fatigue with my metal! My Auteur fatigues me with my crappy production quality metal, but not the Atrium. The flip side to that is I think if there's one tiny adjustment i'd make to the tuning, it would be to add just a hair more treble presence. This is a FUN headphone.
Yep! A lot of metal and pretty much all heavy rock sounds stellar. Kill 'em All-Metallica is a sonic bombardment, and pretty much any and all AC/DC is absurdly amazing on the Atrium.... and my doom/stoner folder has never sounded anywhere as good. I was listening to Ruby The Hatchet and Alunah the other night and had to crank it up!

The amazing part is Zach really isnt into that type of music at all, yet he continues to create these killer rock headphones.
Anyone else with the Atrium and other ZMFs, are you finding it's a bit trickier to find amp synergy? Like what works with your non-Atriums doesn't sound as great with the Atrium? I am a bit. I have an Atticus and Auteur and love both on either of my Kenzie amps. I tend to listen on the 300ohm taps. But the Atrium, though excellent on it, doesn't sound like it's hitting on all cylinders. I actually prefer it on my Tuba amp high output. But the Atticus/Auteur I don't like on that amp as much. If I use the Tuba, it's the low output. What I like on the Tuba is it gives it a bit more air/treble presence, while thickening up the bass without sacrificing speed. On the Kenzies I can add the air I like via the 300ohm tap, but that makes the bass a bit too slow. But when going down a few impedance taps, the bass improves but at the expense of the treble. Maybe I'm still getting used to the Atrium, I don't know. I just feel like I've yet to find the perfect match for it, amp-wise. Despite my nit picking, I do love it. Since receiving it I have not wanted to listen to any of my other headphones. They're well burned in now so this isn't burn in affecting the sound.
Have you tried rolling tubes?
Tube combo that I like for the VC doesnt work that well for Atrium, nor VO.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #990 of 6,229
Looks like the Koa wood for both Atrium and VC have been removed from the store. New wood hype! Would be cool to see some stabilized atrium sets. :dt880smile:
Saw on IG that they have a bunch of ebony now so I imagine that’s the next wood up? Would look incredible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back