ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 29, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #512 of 6,269
We just sent Germany/The Headphone Company some Atriums, whether or not yours is in this shipment is hard to say. They should have them in next week.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #513 of 6,269
oh no no no, this thing slams harder, noticeably harder. that's with the stock universe lambskin pads. i haven't even tried the warmer auteur pads. the bass hits hard but is incredibly nimble, with a very natural decay. makes rock music...rock!
I prefer the Auteur pads, which in my ears/gears, slams harder and the staging is more impressive.

When you get a chance, regardless of pads you're using, notice that the bass doesnt impede on the rest of the sound in any way.

Thats the most impressive thing to me.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #514 of 6,269
I prefer the Auteur pads, which in my ears/gears, slams harder and the staging is more impressive.

When you get a chance, regardless of pads you're using, notice that the bass doesnt impede on the rest of the sound in any way.

Thats the most impressive thing to me.
I have noticed that, and it is impressive. All the frequencies come together flawlessly, without blending or overlapping. The ability to keep every note distinct and separate is impressive. Another impressive aspect of Atrium is the treble so far. It's got plenty of extension and presence, but doesn't stray into harshness and sibilance. Even my beloved Auteur when stressed can zing my ears a bit. So for none of those same tracks have bothered me on the Atrium. From bass to mids to treble, the balance and evenness really impresses. Nothing overpowers or stands out negatively. I'm getting no work done today as I've been listening to the live Iron Maiden album, Live after Death...and it's spectacular on the Atrium. The interlude in the middle of Rime of the Ancient Mariner, where Dickenson recites some of the poem lines, is chilling in it's atmospheric presentation. Then the guitars start to build after some quietness....chills....

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #515 of 6,269

+1, the Auteur leather pads are now glued permanently on my Atrium.

BTW, does someone know when the honeymoon period will end with these headphones? It's been 4 weeks since I've had my Atrium, and at this point I don't think that I will ever need another pair of headphones. Zach has cured my gear acquisition syndrome :wink:

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #516 of 6,269
+1, the Auteur leather pads are now glued permanently on my Atrium.

BTW, does someone know when the honeymoon period will end with these headphones? It's been 4 weeks since I've had my Atrium, and at this point I don't think that I will ever need another pair of headphones. Zach has cured my gear acquisition syndrome :wink:
There is no cure, only temporary reprieves. My bet is the Atrium closed will get that gear lust going again!

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #517 of 6,269
BTW, does someone know when the honeymoon period will end with these headphones?
(hysterical question!)

I don't know about you, but the Atrium & I stayed at a motel near Niagara Falls for two weeks. Then we came home.

Apr 29, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #520 of 6,269
ZMF emailed me letting know my atrium is being assembled :L3000:
i'm order #7839
I'm order number 8235, I got an email saying that mine is in sanding and finishing. I hope it turns out nice. From what I've seen the cherry sets can widely vary in appearance, so I won't know if I got some good figuring/grain lines until I open the box, but that's the gamble you take buying ZMF headphones (except for the stabilized ones of course).

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing most of them don't look quite as cool as this one they pictured on the website... @zach915m I'm guessing it's not possible to request a particular aesthetic for my aged cherry cups.

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    494.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #522 of 6,269
I'm order number 8235, I got an email saying that mine is in sanding and finishing. I hope it turns out nice. From what I've seen the cherry sets can widely vary in appearance, so I won't know if I got some good figuring/grain lines until I open the box, but that's the gamble you take buying ZMF headphones (except for the stabilized ones of course).

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing most of them don't look quite as cool as this one they pictured on the website...
I'd say even cooler :wink:

But yeah, it does depend on lighting.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #523 of 6,269

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing most of them don't look quite as cool as this one they pictured on the website... @zach915m I'm guessing it's not possible to request a particular aesthetic for my aged cherry cups.

I'm order number 7998, and like other Koa customers I got an email today saying the wood has been selected for my set. I guess ZMF proceeds through the stages in batches based on wood/other materials rather than order number.

As eager as I am to hear what the Atrium hype is all about, I'm enjoying my other ZMF headphones on some new gear this week. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your advice on a solid state amp upgrade from my Jotunheim 2. I ended up going with the Oor+Hypsos, and I've found the synergy with the Bifrost 2 to be perfect. My VC sound absolutely amazing with this chain! My Yggy LIM arrives tomorrow, so I'm excited to hear how the chain sounds differently based on that upgrade as well. I guess I've found ways to keep myself entertained while waiting for ZMF to work their magic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back