ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #3,256 of 6,252
I know it’s the recording but some songs the Atriums sound a bit sibilant or harsh. Not sure in which frequency range. Maybe 5k? Or lower? I’m hoping the solid mesh will tame it. It only happens for certain sibilant tracks.

The Atriums make me want to add a tube pre to my chain. I can imagine they would go well together.
The lambskin perf Auteur pads will be slightly darker in highs compared to the Auteur hybrid and Universe lambskin pads.

As the others have noted going to the solid Bop mesh will also help tame the highs. I replaced the Bop mesh on my Aeolus with the vented Titan mesh and the highs were definitely more pronounced with the Titan mesh.

You're also on the right track introducing tubes somewhere in the audio chain. I run tube buffered NOS MHDT dacs coupled with full tube amps (Bottlehead Crack both with and without Speedball mod, Bottlehead Mainline, and Woo WA6) with my Atrium with great results. There is absolutely no harshness unless the recording is harsh to begin with.

I think you mentioned going with a full copper headphone cable. In my experience that will usually result in less pronounced highs vs a silver plated or full silver cable.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #3,257 of 6,252
The lambskin perf Auteur pads will be slightly darker in highs compared to the Auteur hybrid and Universe lambskin pads.

As the others have noted going to the solid Bop mesh will also help tame the highs. I replaced the Bop mesh on my Aeolus with the vented Titan mesh and the highs were definitely more pronounced with the Titan mesh.

You're also on the right track introducing tubes somewhere in the audio chain. I run tube buffered NOS MHDT dacs coupled with full tube amps (Bottlehead Crack both with and without Speedball mod, Bottlehead Mainline, and Woo WA6) with my Atrium with great results. There is absolutely no harshness unless the recording is harsh to begin with.

I think you mentioned going with a full copper headphone cable. In my experience that will usually result in less pronounced highs vs a silver plated or full silver cable.
Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it. :)

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #3,258 of 6,252
Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it. :)
No problem. I have to caveat that's how I hear it anyways. We all hear things different and have different tastes. Ymmv but hope that helps in some way.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,259 of 6,252
If you haven't heard the new Snarky Puppy album Empire Central with the Atrium I highly suggest it! It's very well recorded and the Atrium really makes the music shine with this particular album. The drums on this album are just insane! The album seems to highlight all the best qualities on the Atrium!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221003-151131_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221003-151131_Chrome~2.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #3,260 of 6,252
Thanks for the great suggestion! I have been getting into Snarky Puppy lately. Live at the Royal Albert Hall (along with everything else I've heard from them) also sounds great on the Atrium.

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #3,261 of 6,252
Any small tube pres anyone recommends?

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #3,262 of 6,252
Per my point at top my post, try full tube amp. OTL can be both cheaper and better to achieve a smoother sound. But transformer coupled at high impedance setting (my setup) is fantastic.
I note your comment, I appreciate it and will act on it when I have time.
I have a good OTL amp which I use, but I also have a good TC amp which was designed specifically for 32 ohm phones; it sounds very good (better than expected) with the Atrium., just not as immediate as the OTL. I think it is worth trying a TC amp with appropriate output transformers when I get round to it.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3,263 of 6,252
I note your comment, I appreciate it and will act on it when I have time.
I have a good OTL amp which I use, but I also have a good TC amp which was designed specifically for 32 ohm phones; it sounds very good (better than expected) with the Atrium., just not as immediate as the OTL. I think it is worth trying a TC amp with appropriate output transformers when I get round to it.

Indeed, you will find the difference the damping factor makes a rather audible impact on sound. In a TC amp, you also have the choice of playing with those impedance choices. I don’t always choose the one that matches the headphone spec, as sometimes another impedance ends up sounding better to me (though for ZMF dynamics headphones I do like the 300 ohm setting the most on my amp). The difference between 32 and 300 is material.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,264 of 6,252
Wow. Why are the Atriums so transparent? They are not hyper detailed but wow, it sounds like I'm in a Jazz venue. These headphones are great for Jazz, Soul, Blues, 90s Hip hop ... they are very complimentry with the Susvara. Now time to get a tube pre. Goal is to get the Primaluna E400 Tube Pre to go with my chain one day ...

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #3,265 of 6,252
Loving the timbre of these headphones. I actually find instruments and voices more realistic even though less resolving than the Susvara. Its not a night and day difference but that bio cellulose decay is amazing.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #3,267 of 6,252
Anyone running a Primaluna amp or preamp with the Atriums? Thanks.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #3,268 of 6,252

My headphones are famous. Thanks @WaveTheory ...

I agree that these tend to be too harsh with rock, alternative etc. Higher pitched electric guitars etc. Wondering if this will be ameliorated after adding the solid mesh and a good copper cable.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3,269 of 6,252

My headphones are famous. Thanks @WaveTheory ...

I agree that these tend to be too harsh with rock, alternative etc. Higher pitched electric guitars etc. Wondering if this will be ameliorated after adding the solid mesh and a good copper cable.

Solid mesh definitely takes the edge off a decent amount

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #3,270 of 6,252
Solid mesh definitely takes the edge off a decent amount

The "aggressiveness/glare" and any of that stuff is very user/chain/volume level based and is going to vary so much user to user, that I don't think any finite statement can cover each listener/owner. I always recommend owners check out the Atrium with stock pads or find the pad they enjoy most, and it's easy to make a single earpad and/or mesh change either way after that which I've found has suited just about any taste in treble and upper-mid/treble aggressiveness.

Edit: One thing that I'm not sure any single reviewer can "achieve," because we are all different, but I do wish was part of reviews, is letting the audience know what volume level they listen at. Perception of sound (especially bass and upper mids/treble) varies SO MUCH based on the listening level, that if a reviewer listens at a low or loud volume, the review may be literally completely different from what a listener who listens at a different volume. Remember, a 3dB listening level change, is actually like 20+ percent louder and sound energy is like doubled (I think don't quote me!).

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back