ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 8, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,851 of 6,368
Thanks for this suggestion @erics75! I tried it and it has added sparkle to the top as you said, which I'm enjoying a lot, without sacrificing anything at the low end.
I have been listening for about an hour or so without any mesh and I think I like it better than with the perforated mesh. It seems to my ears that with no mesh there is more sparkle to the highs and more overall energy to the sound! I'm glad I tried this because it has made a noticeable difference. I love you can do all these modifications on ZMF cans. ZMF headphone are already unique and things like this really makes them unique!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #2,852 of 6,368
I have been listening for about an hour or so without any mesh and I think I like it better than with the perforated mesh. It seems to my ears that with no mesh there is more sparkle to the highs and more overall energy to the sound! I'm glad I tried this because it has made a noticeable difference. I love you you can do all these modifications on ZMF cans. ZMF headphone are already unique and things like this really makes them unique!
Agree 100%

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2,853 of 6,368
I've seen that review. Keep in mind that different tubes can close that gap on the things the cayin did better. You can really mold the sound signature with the wa22. I actually sold my Soloist GT after buying the WA22 I like it so much especially after upgrading tubes. The tube combination I have in right now will drive the Susvara too from what several members on this thread have told me. I'm using emission labs 5u4g mesh, western electric 421a, and mullard ecc35 6sl7. I can't turn the volume know passed 10 o'clock with my VC and Atrium because the combo has ridiculous power!
Duly noted. Thanks for those tube suggestions, too.

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #2,854 of 6,368
Key word Patiently. Makes me think of Princess Bride... "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Now prepare to die". "Will you hurry up?", "I am climbing a mountain you are just going to have to wait". "I hate waiting".

I hate waiting too...:)

Beautiful VCs. Congrats and I hope the wait goes by quickly.
Ha! But really, I'm actually being patient. I've been anxiously awaiting in the past and it just makes it go by slower. These are the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen and I'm going with a zen mentality of "they'll get to me when they get to me".

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #2,855 of 6,368
I have been listening for about an hour or so without any mesh and I think I like it better than with the perforated mesh. It seems to my ears that with no mesh there is more sparkle to the highs and more overall energy to the sound! I'm glad I tried this because it has made a noticeable difference. I love you can do all these modifications on ZMF cans. ZMF headphone are already unique and things like this really makes them unique!
@zach915m offerso ther meshes to help change the sound and may be able to offer some suggestions.

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,856 of 6,368
No mesh at all sounds pretty great to me. It's an obvious improvement to me (based on my preferences). Must be the added treble sparkle, but they feel more resolving than before. I'm sure it's an illusion, but a very pleasant one.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #2,857 of 6,368
My Atriums arrived today. I've only had a first impression so I'm not ready to say much - but I wanted to weigh in on the sparkle. I've left the filters in, but I listened to a dozen songs on the OFC and then swapped to the silver Michanikos and the character changed, it shifted upwards and got sharper. I've never found a good match for the michanikos before - it sucked out the soul from my Auteur OG and I didn't like it with the Aeolus. But the Michanikos shifted this to a fast, holographic, sharp-edged and upper mid-forward can. I'm sort of blown away by how big and good of an impact it is (maybe I should say big the difference was). I think somehow the stage is wider, too.

After listening to the Atrium, even for such a brief time, I'm pretty sure I'll keep the OG and won't upgrade it. They swim in the same pool, but they're quite different and I want to play in both ends of the pool and I'm guessing the Classic is the middle of the pool, but I'll find out at Canjam.

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,858 of 6,368
No mesh at all sounds pretty great to me. It's an obvious improvement to me (based on my preferences). Must be the added treble sparkle, but they feel more resolving than before. I'm sure it's an illusion, but a very pleasant one.
I completely agree. I like the sound better too. I will be doing some listening tonight to make sure what I am hearing is correct but for that hour and a half I listened earlier it was really nice!

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #2,860 of 6,368
My Atriums arrived today. I've only had a first impression so I'm not ready to say much - but I wanted to weigh in on the sparkle. I've left the filters in, but I listened to a dozen songs on the OFC and then swapped to the silver Michanikos and the character changed, it shifted upwards and got sharper. I've never found a good match for the michanikos before - it sucked out the soul from my Auteur OG and I didn't like it with the Aeolus. But the Michanikos shifted this to a fast, holographic, sharp-edged and upper mid-forward can. I'm sort of blown away by how big and good of an impact it is (maybe I should say big the difference was). I think somehow the stage is wider, too.

After listening to the Atrium, even for such a brief time, I'm pretty sure I'll keep the OG and won't upgrade it. They swim in the same pool, but they're quite different and I want to play in both ends of the pool and I'm guessing the Classic is the middle of the pool, but I'll find out at Canjam.
Very astute. I love a silver cable with the Atrium as well, but prefer my copper silver plated 4z (black and white) with the Classic. The OFC is a really good cable too.

Enjoy your Atrium!

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #2,861 of 6,368
Damn was hoping to have them for CanJam SoCal but doesn’t look like they are going to make it now. 8 weeks will be this coming Monday and nothing since Aug 10th as they were going into assembly . Good things come to those who wait I guess.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #2,862 of 6,368
… and nothing since Aug 10th as they were going into assembly . Good things come to those who wait I guess.
Have faith. I was in the same boat — ‘to Assembly’ email on 8/10. Got my ‘shipping’ email on Thursday. They say they’re doing them in batches, so yours are probably close to mine, shipping real soon now :)

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #2,863 of 6,368
Have faith. I was in the same boat — ‘to Assembly’ email on 8/10. Got my ‘shipping’ email on Thursday. They say they’re doing them in batches, so yours are probably close to mine, shipping real soon now :)
I do hope so.

Sep 11, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #2,864 of 6,368
If the mesh can be removed without affecting other parts of the sound signature, is the only purpose of the mesh to tame the highs?

Is the mesh the patented damping technology?

You'd think the mesh would dampen and potentially tighten the macro dynamics of the driver as the driver pushes a mass of air through the mesh, some resistance would be created?

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,865 of 6,368

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back