ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 17, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,786 of 6,518
Has anyone tried plugging the atriums straight into a Hugo TT?

I feel like they’ll do really well with a detailed SS setup, but I can’t see any comments from the search.

***For some reason my post was cut short!***

I had the Ha-6A which I used to use with the VCs, and that did a fantastic job with those cans - it slowed the transients a touch, tamed the treble peaks and thickened up the mids.

Then I got the Atrium and decided to pair them with the Feliks Euforia AE. That has a more SS transient speed, better extension at both ends, and a more neutral sound whilst still maintaining beefy mids. It’s a fantastic match.

Now, I’ve been reading more reviews for the Folkvangr. I’ve heard bags of detail, neutral sound, good extension. I’ve also heard rolled off highs, smoother sound, warm signature.

Question is: would it be more of an upgrade to the Euforia AE, or more inline with the Cayin HA-6A?

As a side note, has anyone heard the Atrium with a Chord Hugo TT, and if so, what did they think?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,787 of 6,518
Has anyone tried plugging the atriums straight into a Hugo TT?

I feel like they’ll do really well with a detailed SS setup, but I can’t see any comments from the search

TT2? Yes, daily. It's absolutely great.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #1,788 of 6,518
TT2? Yes, daily. It's absolutely great.
Have you tried it with a similarly priced tube amp, or a tube amp considered to be high end?

I feel like the Atriums would do really well with a detailed SS amp, but I’m trying to see how much I’m missing out on with my Feliks Euforia AE fed by my Schiit Bifrost 2.

I had the Cayin HA-6A before the feliks amp, and whilst it was amazing with my VCs, it didn’t have the magic touch for my Atriums. Too much of a good thing - transients too soft, highs too rolled off etc.

Then I got the Feliks Euforia AE and it’s a match made in heaven. SS transient speeds, bags of detail, fantastic stage, neutral sound.

I’m just wondering if the Hugo TT (not 2nd gen) would give me more of that flavour, or would push it to be too harsh

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,789 of 6,518
Hello there. Impulsive buy today...I'm joining Team ZMF :money_mouth:

Atrium_HotCupSummer_Shopify27_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,791 of 6,518
Had the #5 Atrium in my cart for a while, which surprised me, but I'm glad someone else got it. I kept debating in my head whether my wallet could take that hit.

I'm really excited to see all the photos from new owners for today's drop, though.
Was it for the VC? If so then that would have been me :wink:

Edit: nvm you said Atrium. Misread that.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,792 of 6,518

Congrats! I was hoping someone would buy this to save my wallet some abuse. It was my favorite Atrium of this stabilized run!

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,793 of 6,518
Have you tried it with a similarly priced tube amp, or a tube amp considered to be high end?

I feel like the Atriums would do really well with a detailed SS amp, but I’m trying to see how much I’m missing out on with my Feliks Euforia AE fed by my Schiit Bifrost 2.

I had the Cayin HA-6A before the feliks amp, and whilst it was amazing with my VCs, it didn’t have the magic touch for my Atriums. Too much of a good thing - transients too soft, highs too rolled off etc.

Then I got the Feliks Euforia AE and it’s a match made in heaven. SS transient speeds, bags of detail, fantastic stage, neutral sound.

I’m just wondering if the Hugo TT (not 2nd gen) would give me more of that flavour, or would push it to be too harsh

I guess I can't help, because I don't have what would be considered a high end tube amp and I have the TT2, not the TT. But I'll say that the qualities of the TT2 as a DAC are still there when paired with my tube amp, discernable compared to running the same tube amp off the RME for example.

The Atrium does well with both solid state and tubes, IMHO. It's good to have both and enjoy the differences.

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #1,794 of 6,518
Jul 17, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #1,795 of 6,518
I'm trying to decide steel, copper, or brass to go with cocobolo.

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,796 of 6,518

Congrats!! These were my N#2 pick. I was really surprised they weren’t snatched this morning!

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,797 of 6,518
The Atrium definitely doesn't sound "harsh" on SS amplification. While this thread would give one the impression that they need tubes to sound their best, I'd disagree and encourage newbies to try SS, especially if you like SS with other headphones.

I've always liked SS better and I've gone up to the Stellaris to try tubes and Atrium is no different.

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #1,798 of 6,518
I'm trying to decide steel, copper, or brass to go with cocobolo.
Same here.

Found these shots from ZMF's videos.

I'm still unable to decide.

Anyone care to vote?

Screenshot_20220717-212029_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220717-211849_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220717-212046_YouTube.jpg

If aged copper was an option here it would be a no brainer for me.

As it says stands I literally change my mind between these three every few minutes.

EDIT: Went with brass. My first ZMF and hopefully my last headphone (but not making any promises)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #1,799 of 6,518
As far the TT, I’ve not heard but have the original Hugo with the same number of taps. Also had the TT2. Great on both and a better match than the Verites with them. I still prefer tubes but they’re not a must to me.

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,800 of 6,518

The Folkvangr is a chameleon amp. It really changes a lot depending on the headphone. People report it working very well with bright, dry headphones and that it has a warm, mid-centric sound (it does). In my experience it also really works well with headphones that have high levels of speed and detail. I haven’t heard it with the Atriums, but with the VC it sounds lush (layered sound), insanely detailed, wet and quick.

It’s not my favorite match with my auteur, which sounds good, but isn’t as magical to me as the VC though some might like it better due to the more up front less lush presentation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back