ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 8, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,606 of 6,475
I hear no peaks with the Atrium. To me, it sounds the way I had hoped the Auteur would sound. I loved the Auteur, but it had a little peakiness/grain to it that I never hear with the Atrium. The Atrium is one of the smoothest sounding headphones I’ve ever owned but without sounding dull or overly dark. I love it!

I would like to hear what the Auteur Classic sounds like…

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #1,607 of 6,475
I have always been of the opinion that the EQ device is going to alter signal quality. In the digital domain this is probably avoidable.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am not aware of any empirical evidence to support this, and is hasn’t been my experience, at least with digital EQ (which you acknowledge).

Anyway, back on topic.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #1,609 of 6,475
I can't say what the best solution is but EQ definitely works and you can fiddle with it to get your ideal sound. I just never find the need to eq most of my headphones. I mostly tampered with physical mods like foam mods for hd800 or mesh and pad swaps in the case of ZMF headphones. I very quickly found synergy with the included pads and mesh to go along with my source/amp so there was never a need to EQ for me.
Another option for anything treble is the hybrid and suede pads. If you haven't tried them it's worth a shot, as the suede flattens and damps the treble.
Hello fella audiophile,Does any one know any places in taipei that i could purchase zmf atrium?
http://howhear.com.tw/ZMF

See if they have any stock?
This may trigger a big discussion but, wanted to know if it is safe to repeatedly connect and disconnect the jacks from the headphones i mean like once or twice a day? I use it and then store it in the box again for which i have to remove the cables. Anyone know for how many revovals and attachments the jacks and ports are rated?😅
You can disconnect as much as you'd like but yes, make sure the button is fully engaged and try not to wiggle the jack as you take it out.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 9, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #1,610 of 6,475
I hear no peaks with the Atrium. To me, it sounds the way I had hoped the Auteur would sound. I loved the Auteur, but it had a little peakiness/grain to it that I never hear with the Atrium. The Atrium is one of the smoothest sounding headphones I’ve ever owned but without sounding dull or overly dark. I love it!

I would like to hear what the Auteur Classic sounds like…
+1

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #1,611 of 6,475
Ok, so for those of you who have read my issues with upper-mid peakiness with the Atrium (and who have the time) I’ve decided to move my Elise home to pair with my VC’s. I now have the option to buy any of the following on the used market to pair with the Atrium. Which would you recommend?
-Euforia AE
-Eddie Current Aficionado
-Forge
-Pendant
-Kenzie
-Woo wa-22

Any opinions are appreciated!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #1,612 of 6,475
Ok, so for those of you who have read my issues with upper-mid peakiness with the Atrium (and who have the time) I’ve decided to move my Elise home to pair with my VC’s. I now have the option to buy any of the following on the used market to pair with the Atrium. Which would you recommend?
-Euforia AE
-Forge
-Pendant
-Kenzie
-Woo wa-22

I prefer the AE to the WA22 with ZMF and other high-impedance cans. For planars and low impedance dynamic drivers, I prefer the WA22.

ZMF cans scale much more on a TOTL OTL, in my experience.

I even prefer a TOTL OTL like Euforia AE to the WA33 driving ZMF. I like the WA33 more for every other use case (driving a Susvara or a TC for example, or even a low impedance Utopia).

OTL magic with high impedance cans is real, IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #1,613 of 6,475
-Euforia AE
-Forge
-Pendant
-Kenzie
-Woo wa-22

I'm using the Studio B with mine and it sounds amazing with it but the Aficionado is uses a different output transformer and is drier than the Studio B. I have a feeling that drier presentation may work well with the Atrium's tonality but sadly I'm unable to confirm it as it is quite a rare find.

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,614 of 6,475
I prefer the AE to the WA22 with ZMF and other high-impedance cans. For planars and low impedance dynamic drivers, I prefer the WA22.

ZMF cans scale much more on a TOTL OTL, in my experience.

I even prefer a TOTL OTL like Euforia AE to the WA33 driving ZMF. I like the WA33 more for every other use case (driving a Susvara or a TC for example, or even a low impedance Utopia).

This has always been my feeling also...my OTL amp for my high impedance cans and my SET amp for my planars.
For the last week I have been listening to my VC with my SET amp and have really loved it. I wish I would have listened to the Atrium more with this amp when I had the Atrium here to demo.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,615 of 6,475
I'm using the Studio B with mine and it sounds amazing with it but the Aficionado is uses a different output transformer and is drier than the Studio B. I have a feeling that drier presentation may work well with the Atrium's tonality but sadly I'm unable to confirm it as it is quite a rare find.
There’s an aficionado on sale right now on headfi

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,616 of 6,475
You're not alone in this thought.

The only time I would not recommend an OTL to a ZMF owner is when this person can only afford one amp and has other non high impedance headphones in their collection.

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,617 of 6,475
Hello fella audiophile,Does any one know any places in taipei that i could purchase zmf atrium?
You can also always just purchase direct from ZMF without too much difficulty. Purchased three pairs from Taipei and never have much difficulty navigating customs. Purchasing an amp though was significantly more eventful but still manageable.

Edit: Just checked the prices at http://howhear.com.tw/ZMF and noted they're pretty good and appear a bit cheaper than ordering direct paying customs and shipping.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,619 of 6,475
This may trigger a big discussion but, wanted to know if it is safe to repeatedly connect and disconnect the jacks from the headphones i mean like once or twice a day? I use it and then store it in the box again for which i have to remove the cables. Anyone know for how many revovals and attachments the jacks and ports are rated?😅
Typically 5000 cycles so twice a day would be 2500 days or 6 and a half years. Keep in mind that is typically and I have not seen any distribution curves for failure rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back