ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 3, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #6,496 of 6,739
So I guess I shouldn't be so quick to sell my Aeolus (Sepele) when my Auteur (Blackwood) arrives. Also I never thought of putting pads for other ZMF cans on the Aeolus. I have the perforated suede on them now.

Does the type of wood change the sound of the headphone?
If you want to try a few more pads now’s the time to do it. I’ve never figured out why my B-stock pads are B-stock. Sale is until the 10th.

There are several discussions in multiple threads about how wood hardness can alter the sound slightly. The consensus seems to be pad rolling has a much greater effect. Search “janka”, the wood hardness scale, and you should find a few of the discussions. There are people with multiples of the same model in different woods (or stabilized) that can compare directly. Or maybe you can make it to a show sometime and hear for yourself.

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #6,497 of 6,739
So I guess I shouldn't be so quick to sell my Aeolus (Sepele) when my Auteur (Blackwood) arrives. Also I never thought of putting pads for other ZMF cans on the Aeolus. I have the perforated suede on them now.

Does the type of wood change the sound of the headphone?

If you want to try a few more pads now’s the time to do it. I’ve never figured out why my B-stock pads are B-stock. Sale is until the 10th.

There are several discussions in multiple threads about how wood hardness can alter the sound slightly. The consensus seems to be pad rolling has a much greater effect. Search “janka”, the wood hardness scale, and you should find a few of the discussions. There are people with multiples of the same model in different woods (or stabilized) that can compare directly. Or maybe you can make it to a show sometime and hear for yourself.
I think @cats4cans is spot on here. I think of it more of a fine tuning of the sound than changing the character of the headphone, but many find the difference discernible. I never had the opportunity to try the two headphones side by side, but from VERY imperfect memory I do think I hear a little less decay with the harder wood that @Pharmaboy has (like your incoming Auteur, I believe his is blackwood).

What many say throughout the ZMF threads does seem to hold true, but I honestly don't think the hardness of the wood would make you fall into or out of love with a particular model. It's just another consideration when planning system synergy, which is at the same time so overused & elusive that it's almost not helpful.

As far as pads, indeed that is a better way to fine tune IMO, the Universe suede being a great option for the Aeolus IMO. The stock pads are the most "fun" tuning, meaning lots of mid-bass and the BE pads tone it down to make the Aeolus a bit more linear, but still lots of fun IME. I was enjoying the Verite pads which are no longer available, but IIRC the BE are the next closest thing.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #6,499 of 6,739
I think @cats4cans is spot on here. I think of it more of a fine tuning of the sound than changing the character of the headphone, but many find the difference discernible. I never had the opportunity to try the two headphones side by side, but from VERY imperfect memory I do think I hear a little less decay with the harder wood that @Pharmaboy has (like your incoming Auteur, I believe his is blackwood).

What many say throughout the ZMF threads does seem to hold true, but I honestly don't think the hardness of the wood would make you fall into or out of love with a particular model. It's just another consideration when planning system synergy, which is at the same time so overused & elusive that it's almost not helpful.

As far as pads, indeed that is a better way to fine tune IMO, the Universe suede being a great option for the Aeolus IMO. The stock pads are the most "fun" tuning, meaning lots of mid-bass and the BE pads tone it down to make the Aeolus a bit more linear, but still lots of fun IME. I was enjoying the Verite pads which are no longer available, but IIRC the BE are the next closest thing.

Perhaps I'll check out some pads and do some swapping. I'm looking here at the chart for ZMF pads and the legend to the right on the chart does not list the BE2 pads even though they are on the chart. https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #6,502 of 6,739
Combo for the evening is Aeolus with just received B-stock hybrid BE2 pads driven by the new to me Beyerdynamic A20. In retrospect, obvious, safe choices. My subconscious must have been paying attention when my sleep deprived brain was making impulse buys. I’m starting to relate to those people that get surprise Amazon packages that are basically presents from their drunk selves.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #6,504 of 6,739
Occasionally I get a desire to buy another headphone, but then I put on my Aeolus, hook it up to my Woo Audio WA3 and the desire to add one more headphone that I don't need magically goes away.
WC Fields would be proud of you …

… “if you feel like getting another headphone, lie down ‘til the feeling goes away” … 🥱

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #6,505 of 6,739
There are people with multiples of the same ZMF model in different woods (or stabilized) that can compare directly. Or maybe you can make it to a show sometime and hear for yourself.
Auteur Original: LTD Black Limba, LTD Stabilised Takwin; Atrium: Aged Cherry, LTD Cocobolo; Eikon: Camphor, LTD Cocobolo.

For each of these three ZMFs: the ‘firsts’ have slightly ‘softer’ onset + slightly longer decay of notes/chords. The ‘seconds’ have modestly ‘sharper’ attack + modestly shorter decay of notes/chords.

Are these differences large? Are these differences amusical? Not to me. They are validly different presentations - just as are those at different seats / tables in a particular music venue.

Also, depending on the mixing/mastering of a recording, I may prefer the ‘softer wood’ ZMF or the ‘harder wood’ ZMF.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #6,506 of 6,739
I slipped mine on today for the first time in a while and plugged in the WA2 with a pair of 421A tubes installed. Sounds mighty fine. Unfortunately, that probably won't deter me from making another purchase. Glad that doing so works for someone.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #6,507 of 6,739
Hello all! First time commenting on Head fi, but been part of the audio scene for a few years. I’ve been quite interested in ZMF for quite some time, but I never made the jump. I do have that itch to buy an Aeolus used and see what’s up with all the hype. If I want to try a ZMF for the first time, I assume an Aeolus is a good option?
In my current line up I have an HD6XX, HD600, LCD-2, and a HE-6se v2. I’ve had an Ayra, Aeon Noire before but didn’t like them and sold them.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #6,508 of 6,739
Hello all! First time commenting on Head fi, but been part of the audio scene for a few years. I’ve been quite interested in ZMF for quite some time, but I never made the jump. I do have that itch to buy an Aeolus used and see what’s up with all the hype. If I want to try a ZMF for the first time, I assume an Aeolus is a good option?
In my current line up I have an HD6XX, HD600, LCD-2, and a HE-6se v2. I’ve had an Ayra, Aeon Noire before but didn’t like them and sold them.
My first ZMF was the Aeolus and at the time my only other headphone was HD650. It was one of the best purchases I made. I still have the Aeolus.
I think this would be an excellent starting point for you.
I doubt you will regret it.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #6,509 of 6,739
Welcome to Head-fi! This hobby is lots of fun. The Aeolus is a wonderful headphone and a great intro to the ZMF sound. It's comfort food for your ears.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #6,510 of 6,739
You might find a lot of similar Aeolus was my gateway ZMF stories. The price point drivers may start pointing towards Bokeh now though. The favorable comparisons to a HD650 all grown up might drawn some. My only experience at that point was Sundara and Meze 99. But I’m shallow. I just thought the Canarywood was too pretty to pass up. Boy did I get lucky. I’m keeping these forever.
IMG_7497.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back