ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #6,511 of 6,743
You might find a lot of similar Aeolus was my gateway ZMF stories. The price point drivers may start pointing towards Bokeh now though. The favorable comparisons to a HD650 all grown up might drawn some. My only experience at that point was Sundara and Meze 99. But I’m shallow. I just thought the Canarywood was too pretty to pass up. Boy did I get lucky. I’m keeping these forever.IMG_7497.jpeg
Wow those are beautiful! You are very lucky to get a pair that nice looking!

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #6,512 of 6,743
Welcome to Head-fi! This hobby is lots of fun. The Aeolus is a wonderful headphone and a great intro to the ZMF sound. It's comfort food for your ears.
Awesome that’s what I like to hear! I want a fun, comfort food headphone. Think this may hit that spot.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #6,513 of 6,743
While Aeolus can be thought of as an ‘introduction’ to ZMF sound, as aural ‘comfort food’ … Aeolus fully stands on its own merits, it is not at all musically deficient. 🙂

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #6,514 of 6,743
While Aeolus can be thought of as an ‘introduction’ to ZMF sound, as aural ‘comfort food’ … Aeolus fully stands on its own merits, it is not at all musically deficient. 🙂
Absolutely! When it comes to just sitting back and enjoying your music, Aeolus is a fabulous headphone. One of the best, IMHO.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #6,515 of 6,743
I have the Universe Suede Perforated Pads waiting for me from the B-Stock sale when I get home today. Can't wait to try them out after seeing so many recommendations in this thread about them! Also picked up the the BE2 Hybrid Perforated and Verite Ultra Perforated to try after a week or two since those seemed interesting as well.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #6,517 of 6,743
I honestly wasn't sure if I'd notice a difference but it was there! :L3000: pretty much what most people said when describing the Universe Perforated Suedes on this thread. Airy, wider, etc. Big fan of it, listened for 4 hours before heading to bed :o2smile:
Nice! Those are the pads that started my love affair with the Aeolus. Strangely though, after a change in amps and perhaps a change in hearing, I’ve come back full circle to the now-discontinued Aeolus lambskin pads. It’s a really remarkable headphone that can adapt so well to different setups/tastes.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #6,518 of 6,743
Nice! Those are the pads that started my love affair with the Aeolus. Strangely though, after a change in amps and perhaps a change in hearing, I’ve come back full circle to the now-discontinued Aeolus lambskin pads. It’s a really remarkable headphone that can adapt so well to different setups/tastes.

So what is the closest to Aeolus lambskin pads? Also if anyone has the zericote LTD version I'm curious of how much they weigh. Someone is offering a set on CAM.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #6,519 of 6,743
So what is the closest to Aeolus lambskin pads?
Definitely the universe lambskin. The difference is with the U pads your ears sit farther away from the drivers, so you get more treble energy, but also a wider stage. With the Aeolus pads your ears are closer and the pads are also thicker, so it really brings out the midbass hump and smoothes out the treble.

When I first heard the Aeolus with those pads, on a Feliks Elise, I hated it. Too mushy and bloated and veiled. But when I got a more resolving, neutral tube amp, the Aeolus pads made perfect sense. ZMF probably still has some still lying around to purchase if you write in and ask them.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #6,520 of 6,743
Definitely the universe lambskin. The difference is with the U pads your ears sit farther away from the drivers, so you get more treble energy, but also a wider stage. With the Aeolus pads your ears are closer and the pads are also thicker, so it really brings out the midbass hump and smoothes out the treble.

When I first heard the Aeolus with those pads, on a Feliks Elise, I hated it. Too mushy and bloated and veiled. But when I got a more resolving, neutral tube amp, the Aeolus pads made perfect sense. ZMF probably still has some still lying around to purchase if you write in and ask them.

I have a Feliks Echo Mk2 and also a SingZer SA-1. Perhaps I'll get the universe lambskin at some point.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #6,522 of 6,743
Just got these in the sale, first ZMF, what a lovely overall sound. The mids on it make electric guitars sound incredibly realistic and engaging. Addictive.
picture? what gear is 'feeding' your Aeolus?

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #6,523 of 6,743
Anyone interested? Haha

Attachments

• IMG20240110122345.jpg
    IMG20240110122345.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #6,525 of 6,743
Nothing high end really, an Asgard with a Modi, been looking through the thread on here for recs on tube amps etc. My wallet is going to suffer further I think.

PXL_20240110_183936862.jpg
Highly recommend the Bottlehead Crack if you have the skill to build it, you may be able to find one second hand. Otherwise, I would aim for the TA-26 from xDuoo. Those are the only OTL amps I've tried with the Aeolus and they were awesome. It does pair well with hybrids too like the TA-20 Plus, although that amp does more magic with planars than it does with dynamic drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back