ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 27, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #6,406 of 6,740
I think you have furnished incontrovertible proof that not all measurements are fun!
… thus some measurements are fun 🤨? charts? ❎; graphs? ❎; two-legged? 😉

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #6,408 of 6,740
My uncle used to drive an incontrovertible.
Did you & siblings (& neighbour kids) jam as many as possible on a Castro incontrovertible 😝🤣🤣?

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #6,409 of 6,740
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #6,411 of 6,740
For something a little different, Aeolus (LTD Camphor Burl) is driven by Woo WA3 (‘tubed’ with RCA 6080 and pair Raytheon JAN 7308).
4C983698-C06D-4CC6-8CCE-F848394F847B.jpeg
Result(s): 🎼!, delightful 🎼! This is a pairing (triangulation) that I wish that I had stumbled upon long ago. Clarity with warmth. Delineation with glow. Dynamics with poise. Expressiveness with control. Contradictory? 🤔 Not as I have been hearing 🙂.

Jul 20, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #6,412 of 6,740
Bit quiet here.......anyway I am looking to finally acquire a new set of Aeolus soon, after over 2 Years of wanting one.

I previously owned a HD800S which I really did love and enjoyed, it has beautifully detailed and airy sound, but always yearned for the intimate and organic mids/vocal presentation of my hd6xx, so after spending some time with an Aeolus on loan for a Month I decided this was the true HD6xx upgrade I have been looking for all along.

Have sold my HD800S (would have loved to keep it, but have hard time justifying multiple expensive headphones in my collection).

Once my Aeolus arrives I will be pairing with my Fiio K9.

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #6,413 of 6,740
Bit quiet here.......anyway I am looking to finally acquire a new set of Aeolus soon, after over 2 Years of wanting one.

I previously owned a HD800S which I really did love and enjoyed, it has beautifully detailed and airy sound, but always yearned for the intimate and organic mids/vocal presentation of my hd6xx, so after spending some time with an Aeolus on loan for a Month I decided this was the true HD6xx upgrade I have been looking for all along.

Have sold my HD800S (would have loved to keep it, but have hard time justifying multiple expensive headphones in my collection).

Once my Aeolus arrives I will be pairing with my Fiio K9.
Congrats. I sold my HD650 after I have the Aeolus. Between the 2, Aeolus is simply the better headphone IMHO.

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #6,414 of 6,740
Congrats. I sold my HD650 after I have the Aeolus. Between the 2, Aeolus is simply the better headphone IMHO.
Same here. I do feel like soundwise the Aeolus is basically the closest direct upgrade from the HD650. Once I got my first Aeolus (on my 3rd pair now) there was no real reason to keep the Senn’s other than sentimental value.

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #6,415 of 6,740
Sometimes I feel like I skipped some important rite of passage by not ever buying an HD6xx. Then I read posts like these last few and don’t feel like I’m missing out on much. Maybe someday if I need to build a specific type of system on a budget for some reason.

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #6,418 of 6,740
I recently received the Caldera Ultraperforated leather pads and installed 'em on my Aeolus. Been listening for a few days now and I'm just amazed at how the Aeolus sound. You're loosing a bit of midbass (still plenty to my ears) & warmth but gain a lot of clarity & air. Soundstage feels bigger and there's definitely an increase in clarity and resolution. Instrument separation also got kicked up a notch. Compared to my Verite Open it doesn't sound as 'veiled' as it did with the Universe perforated leathers. I'm now seriously considering selling the VO's as to me, the Aeolus just got that good.

Caldera Ultraperforated leathers definitely worth a try :thumbsup:

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #6,419 of 6,740
I recently received the Caldera Ultraperforated leather pads and installed 'em on my Aeolus. Been listening for a few days now and I'm just amazed at how the Aeolus sound. You're loosing a bit of midbass (still plenty to my ears) & warmth but gain a lot of clarity & air. Soundstage feels bigger and there's definitely an increase in clarity and resolution. Instrument separation also got kicked up a notch. Compared to my Verite Open it doesn't sound as 'veiled' as it did with the Universe perforated leathers. I'm now seriously considering selling the VO's as to me, the Aeolus just got that good.

Caldera Ultraperforated leathers definitely worth a try :thumbsup:
As someone who loves the tonality and musicality of the Atticus but is looking for an open back complement with better separation and clarity and slightly expansive soundstage, that sounds right up my alley. With the Caldera ultraperf pads, does the Aeolus come close to the soundstage of the VO, or is it the tonality and other things you mentioned that make you consider selling your VO?

The only reservation I have with the VO is that I've heard it's not the most forgiving with sub-optimal recording quality, so if the ultraperf pads on a harder wood or stabilized Aeolus push it close to the clarity and soundstage of the VO while retaining the forgiving nature of the Aeolus/Atticus, that sounds pretty much perfect.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #6,420 of 6,740
As someone who loves the tonality and musicality of the Atticus but is looking for an open back complement with better separation and clarity and slightly expansive soundstage, that sounds right up my alley. With the Caldera ultraperf pads, does the Aeolus come close to the soundstage of the VO, or is it the tonality and other things you mentioned that make you consider selling your VO?

The only reservation I have with the VO is that I've heard it's not the most forgiving with sub-optimal recording quality, so if the ultraperf pads on a harder wood or stabilized Aeolus push it close to the clarity and soundstage of the VO while retaining the forgiving nature of the Aeolus/Atticus, that sounds pretty much perfect.
The VO still has quite a wider soundstage but with the Caldera ultraperfrs the gap between the two definitely narrows, but not by lots. To my ears from all the pads I tried until now (uni perforated leathers, uni perforated suedes, og aeolus pads, be2 leathers) Aeolus soundstage sounds the widest with the Caldera ultraperfs.

What made put my VOs up for sale is the ‘new’ tonality of the Aeolus with the new pads that’s now even more to my liking pkus the ‘technical’ improvements that make them (to my ears) clearer & more resolving with better sounstage and improved imaging & separation for what I’d consider a minimal penalty/decrease in warmth & bass impact.

Mind you it’s not a really drastic change but to me it’s enought to be noticeable (and appreciated) :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back