ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 29, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #5,671 of 6,741
Beautiful! Mango wood?
After you wrote that I just realised there were some similarities with mango wood. It is Canary wood actually.

Quote from ZMF:
Canary wood can vary a fair amount, from a pale yellow-orange to a darker reddish brown.

May 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #5,672 of 6,741
After you wrote that I just realised there were some similarities with mango wood. It is Canary wood actually.

Quote from ZMF:
Canary wood can vary a fair amount, from a pale yellow-orange to a darker reddish brown.
"Canary can vary"

(great lost MY FAIR LADY lyrics)

May 29, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #5,673 of 6,741
Your wife will see it in the monthly bill before the headphones arrive and before you can even say a word.

Be honest and tell her that you are selling the Hd800 as a compromise because the one you ordered is better and looks nicer.
This usually works every time, don't ask me why.
I guess women like it when a man can part with technical things.

My wife really has an antenna for that.
She usually doesn't say anything about small things, even if I bought them months before.
But for things where you can't overlook it, it's always a bit more difficult.
In the meantime, I show her the things I like and usually know the prices.
When they are there, it is sometimes rough but okay.

Congratulations on the Atrium and good luck telling your wife 😁👍👍😁👍.

May 29, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #5,674 of 6,741
Your wife will see it in the monthly bill before the headphones arrive and before you can even say a word.

Congratulations on the Atrium and good luck telling your wife 😁👍👍😁👍.
No worries - I've squirreled away a slush fund for electronics (which I maxed out for the Atriums).
There's always a fine line between "be honest" and "don't lie" in our house.
I'm hoping that she won't notice that I have two different ZMF headphones for a while. After 33 years she doesn't look too closely...

May 29, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #5,675 of 6,741
Quote from ZMF:
...which was the main reason why i didn't get that one. Kinda like the lighter color of Sapele. I have too much matte black gear already...

iirc, Sapele tends to get darker after some time, no? the oxidation and stuff?

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #5,676 of 6,741
Hey all - quick question I was hoping you might be able to help out with :)

I know this has likely been discussed multiple times in this thread and on Head Fi, but would love some more recent feedback...

I'm in love with ZMF cans and have way too many of them (currently have the VC, Atticus, Atrium, Auteur). However I don't have the Aeolus and it's always been tempting me.

I have the Atticus and absolutely love it. I use the stock Ori pads and man those things make drums and percussion and rhythm sections really rock. I grew up playing drums and that's one of the reasons I love the Atticus so much. I know the Aelous shares the same driver as the Atticus, but is there anybody here who has owned or tried both and might be able to weigh in? Are the two pretty darn close in overall sound? Or is there some characteristic that one has and the other doesn't that might justify owning two?
If I didn't love the Atticus so much I wouldn't even be considering it. I tried the Eikon and it wasn't really for me, thought the Atticus was a way better option for me and the music I listen to.

But does the Aeolus do something that the Atticus might not, or vice versa? Any crazy people here who own both and don't regret it?

Not a question of finances for me, but rather one of if they are so close in sound/signature that I wouldn't really have a reason to reach for one over the other, minus the fact that one is a closed back. If I love the Atticus, is the Aeolus a waste (in that it sounds very similar)?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to provide some feedback!

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #5,677 of 6,741

I know this has likely been discussed multiple times in this thread and on Head Fi, but would love some more recent feedback...

I'm in love with ZMF cans and have way too many of them (currently have the VC, Atticus, Atrium, Auteur). However I don't have the Aeolus and it's always been tempting me.

I have the Atticus and absolutely love it. I use the stock Ori pads and man those things make drums and percussion and rhythm sections really rock. I grew up playing drums and that's one of the reasons I love the Atticus so much. I know the Aelous shares the same driver as the Atticus, but is there anybody here who has owned or tried both and might be able to weigh in? Are the two pretty darn close in overall sound? Or is there some characteristic that one has and the other doesn't that might justify owning two?
If I didn't love the Atticus so much I wouldn't even be considering it. I tried the Eikon and it wasn't really for me, thought the Atticus was a way better option for me and the music I listen to.

But does the Aeolus do something that the Atticus might not, or vice versa? Any crazy people here who own both and don't regret it?

Not a question of finances for me, but rather one of if they are so close in sound/signature that I wouldn't really have a reason to reach for one over the other, minus the fact that one is a closed back. If I love the Atticus, is the Aeolus a waste (in that it sounds very similar)?

I own both and they’re pretty different. The Atticus is very bass focused, and while the bass on the Aeolus is fantastic (even more punchy imo), it’s much more balanced in quantity. With the suede universe pads the Aeolus is actually pretty darn neutral for a Zmf. It (maybe obviously) sounds much more open and airy than the Atticus. What the Aeolus and the Atticus share is that ZMF midrange magic. The Aeolus retains the sweetness and bite of the Atticus mids with a bit more clarity and presence. This also winds up giving it more staging and better imaging. The Aeolus is better than the Atticus in every way imo except it might be a bit less easy to listen to, but only a tiny bit. I think it’s worth having both just to have the option to go closed back, but if I had to choose one and didn’t care about open v closed, I’d choose the Aeolus. It’s the most purely magical sounding headphone I’ve heard (though I haven’t heard the atrium). It just does everything so well and scales great with better amps (but is not picky like the Atticus can be).

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #5,678 of 6,741

• First: never too many! Second: I do own Aeolus and Atticus (and a few other ZMFs, see ‘signature’) for their similarities and their individualities. It seems unrealistic to expect day/night differences between the two. I think of the ZMF ‘oeuvre’ as a continuum across the headphones.
• To me, Aeolus sound and Atticus sound are quite alike yet the former has a little more ‘air’, ‘space between instruments & voices’. Liken that to portrait photographs where the light angle is a bit different 🤷🏻‍♂️. If you can own both, own both. Each is rewarding in its own way.

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #5,679 of 6,741
• First: never too many! Second: I do own Aeolus and Atticus (and a few other ZMFs, see ‘signature’) for their similarities and their individualities. It seems unrealistic to expect day/night differences between the two. I think of the ZMF ‘oeuvre’ as a continuum across the headphones.
• To me, Aeolus sound and Atticus sound are quite alike yet the former has a little more ‘air’, ‘space between instruments & voices’. Liken that to portrait photographs where the light angle is a bit different 🤷🏻‍♂️. If you can own both, own both. Each is rewarding in its own way.
Idk I’d say they’re pretty different, especially on the lambskin ori pads the Atticus is much bassier than the Aeolus imo. I was actually quite surprised at how different they sounded when I first got the Aeolus.

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #5,680 of 6,741
Idk I’d say they’re pretty different, especially on the lambskin ori pads the Atticus is much bassier than the Aeolus imo. I was actually quite surprised at how different they sounded when I first got the Aeolus.
This is super helpful - because I LOVE how bassy the Atticus is with the Ori pads. I've tried them with suedes and it was certainly more neutral, but it lost that specialness that Ori pads seem to give it (to my ears of course).

I'm certainly not expecting night and day differences between the two, but for example when I was thinking about the VC vs the VO, a lot of what I saw online said they were pretty darn similar (which is a compliment to the VC, given its closed back nature), so I was trying to see if the Aeolus/Atticus was similar like the VC/VO is, in that it's pretty minor or nuanced and probably not worth owning both. A ton of VCs or VOs for sale recently have mentioned that they already had the opposite version and it wasn't worth keeping both, so wanted to see if the Aeolus/Atticus was similar :)

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #5,681 of 6,741

I own both Aeolus and Atticus in hard woods.
To me they sound quite the same. Both are nuanced in their build differences. Atticus has the bigger bass and Aeolus sounds more neutral and open. The Aeolus is also pretty costumizable with different pad choices from fairly neutral to very warm. Atticus is more on the warm side with every pad choice.

To get more difference you could get an Aeolus in softer wood to accentuate the open nature with the wood decay and the Atticus in hard wood to make it even more punchy.

You don't miss when not owning both as their differences are nuances and the house sound of the driver is pretty much the same.

Owning both doesnt hurt either. For the price point these headphones are amazing to enjoy your music especially if you enjoy tubes. I absolutely love both for my rock & metal music. If I could only keep one ZMF, it would be the Aeolus because it was my first.
PXL_20220522_085909947.jpg
PXL_20220526_174554100.jpg

Pics or didn't happen.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #5,682 of 6,741
I own both Aeolus and Atticus in hard woods.
To me they sound quite the same. Both are nuanced in their build differences. Atticus has the bigger bass and Aeolus sounds more neutral and open. The Aeolus is also pretty costumizable with different pad choices from fairly neutral to very warm. Atticus is more on the warm side with every pad choice.

To get more difference you could get an Aeolus in softer wood to accentuate the open nature with the wood decay and the Atticus in hard wood to make it even more punchy.

You don't miss when not owning both as their differences are nuances and the house sound of the driver is pretty much the same.

Owning both doesnt hurt either. For the price point these headphones are amazing to enjoy your music especially if you enjoy tubes. I absolutely love both for my rock & metal music. If I could only keep one ZMF, it would be the Aeolus because it was my first.
PXL_20220522_085909947.jpgPXL_20220526_174554100.jpg
Pics or didn't happen.
what wood is that on your Aeolus?

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #5,685 of 6,741
I never liked how the Atticus looked; But I have to admit yours is gorgeous!
Thank you! I always wanted to have blackwood in my collection. The Aeolus driver reacts very well to a hard wood. It's fast, punchy hard hitting sound.
When I saw that pair pop up at the classifieds I couldn't resist. Condition was like new, no regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back