ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #5,581 of 6,741
Btw new updated Aeolus pads are way better than the stock ones I got in 2020.
Have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the original Aeolus pads but admittedly they're not for everyone. Got some of the news ones in recently (new Aeolus 'stock' pad = Uni Perf lambskin I believe) but not sure if I like them as much as the Uni Perf suede or original Aeolus pads I already have. Time will tell I guess! They are comfy though and feel rather nice on the ear.

When it comes to pad options I don't really think there is a 'best' one out of the core options, so much as each one offering a different distinct flavour. And much like ice cream we all have our personal favourites :)

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #5,582 of 6,741
Have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the original Aeolus pads but admittedly they're not for everyone. Got some of the news ones in recently (new Aeolus 'stock' pad = Uni Perf lambskin I believe) but not sure if I like them as much as the Uni Perf suede or original Aeolus pads I already have. Time will tell I guess! They are comfy though and feel rather nice on the ear.

When it comes to pad options I don't really think there is a 'best' one out of the core options, so much as each one offering a different distinct flavour. And much like ice cream we all have our personal favourites :)
Agreed. I personally like the original Aeolus pads the best followed closely by the Universe lambskin. I have tried the Universe Suede and while it does sound good, it shifts the sound more towards neutral a little too much and looses the warm character I enjoy so much with the Aeolus. If the Aeolus was my only ZMF I would heavily consider running the Universe Suede pads. Since I already get the ZMF neutral tilt with the Auteur however, I prefer the original Aeolus or Universe Lambskin pads to give a warmer and somewhat different presentation than I get from the other open ZMFs.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #5,583 of 6,741
On an impulse, I picked up a pair of VC's thinking they might convince me to sell my Aeolus, but while they're technically very impressive, they don't come close to the magic of the Aeolus for me, or the Auteur for that matter. Funny how, depending on personal taste of course, something much lower in price can just be so much more enjoyable. It makes me appreciate ZMF even more for really offering stellar headphones at every price level. I'm sorry for ever doubting you, Aeolus!

Same here with the Verite Open. I got that and though the Aeolus was much better for my taste.

Apr 17, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #5,584 of 6,741
Same here with the Verite Open. I got that and though the Aeolus was much better for my taste.
I remember! I almost bought your VO’s too!

I’ll be getting a pair of VO’s in myself actually. I have no delusion that they’ll dethrone the Aeolus, but they might make me get rid of my Arya’s and leave me with an all-ZMF lineup.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #5,585 of 6,741

I’ll be getting a pair of VO’s in myself actually. I have no delusion that they’ll dethrone the Aeolus, but they might make me get rid of my Arya’s and leave me with an all-ZMF lineup.

Nice! VO are definately worth checking out. They are excellent, but not my cup of tea.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #5,586 of 6,741

So glad you're getting the VO! I really enjoy having the Arya as a contrast to all the ZMFs which do share a house sound for sure.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #5,587 of 6,741
So glad you're getting the VO! I really enjoy having the Arya as a contrast to all the ZMFs which do share a house sound for sure.
Haha thanks! I couldn't get the sound of yours out of my head, all these months later!

That's what I'm afraid of...having to keep them all :sweat_smile: Which version is your Arya by the way?

Apr 17, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #5,588 of 6,741
Haha thanks! I couldn't get the sound of yours out of my head, all these months later!

That's what I'm afraid of...having to keep them all :sweat_smile: Which version is your Arya by the way?
v2. Ditched my 800SDR soon after since I bought it specifically to choose one of them as my super wide soundstage headphones.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #5,589 of 6,741
v2. Ditched my 800SDR soon after since I bought it specifically to choose one of them as my super wide soundstage headphones.
Ok then I have to ask - and I know we’re going way off topic for this thread - but how do the soundstages of the Arya and Atrium compare?

May 8, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #5,590 of 6,741
I'm currently using Jotunheim 2 with my Aeolus and I'm happy with it. But recently I've come across a deal on Lyr 3 and I can exchange My Jot 2 with Lyr 3. Would you guys recommend it? (I might get an Arya Stealth too in near future)

May 8, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,591 of 6,741
Aeolus really blossoms with tube amplification. I had them attached a quality SS amp and was skeptical that tubes could do better.
Did take the plunge buy a full tube amp for them (not a hybrid) and indeed, the cans sprang to live and sound absolutely fantastic.

May 8, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #5,592 of 6,741
I'm currently using Jotunheim 2 with my Aeolus and I'm happy with it. But recently I've come across a deal on Lyr 3 and I can exchange My Jot 2 with Lyr 3. Would you guys recommend it? (I might get an Arya Stealth too in near future)

Lyr 3 is very good with the Aeolus. Same for the Valhalla 2. I have a Jot 2 as well. However I have been told that Schiit tunes their tube amps to sound more like solid state. So other tube amp offerings would perhaps be a better choice. Maybe something like a DarkVoice or BottleHead Crack but I have not tried either of those.

May 8, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #5,593 of 6,741
Aeolus really blossoms with tube amplification. I had them attached a quality SS amp and was skeptical that tubes could do better.
Did take the plunge buy a full tube amp for them (not a hybrid) and indeed, the cans sprang to live and sound absolutely fantastic.

Which tube amp did you buy?

May 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #5,594 of 6,741
Yes. And you have the possibilities of greater 🎼 enjoyment via choice of 6SN7 tube. PS….Lyr 3 plus Aeolus / Atrium / Atticus / Auteur / Eikon == 🎵☁️☁️.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #5,595 of 6,741
Which tube amp did you buy?

Little Dot MK9. It runs too warm, so be prepared to use a fan to blow air across the 2x 6080 tubes (these are hot running tubes).
Using a Tung Sol 6SL7 Black Glass Round Plate as driver.
The Tung-Sol and the Aeolus have big synergy. The sound stage opened up, greater sense of width and depth. Spacial ques are really engaging.

If you order one, be prepared for a lengthy wait for it to arrive. They are custom building them as ordered, so takes a while to get it in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back