ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3,541 of 6,740
Hearing many people saying how great a synergy the LP has with the Aeolus.

What specific things do you think it brings out of the Aeolus that other amps seem to miss?

Well, let me first describe what I found lacking with the Valhalla 2 and Liquid Carbon X. I bought the Valhalla 2 for my HD650 but never found it very engaging. So it was the only amp. I had when I bought the Aeolus. I found the combination engaging but eventually fatiguing. The mids were very forward and the sound stage was also not very large.

I sold the Valhalla 2 and bought a Liquid Carbon X. Immediately, the mids were lush and the bass had a bit more punch to it. However, the sound stage was significantly smaller and instruments felt very nearby to me. I was, nevertheless, happy with the results. I found a Liquid Platinum for a veery good price and pulled the trigger.

The LP with the Aeolus results in a very engaging listening experience. The immediate difference was the sound stage. I didn't have to a A/B comparison, it was just so present. Plus, the mid range now is just downright amazing. Guitars in Boston's Hitch a Ride is lifelike.

To my ears, the LP brought an excellent sound stage and refined the mids. I can listen for hours without fatigue now.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #3,542 of 6,740
OK, can you or anyone sum up the advantages of the Verite (open or closed) compared to the Aeolus? And disadvantages (besides cost)?
(re: Open) Most obvious are greater detail, wider soundstage, more full/enveloping, mids not as forward (which some would consider a disadvantage but I consider just a difference that isn't better or worse). I didn't find the Verite Closed very similar to the Aeolus.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #3,543 of 6,740
OK, can you or anyone sum up the advantages of the Verite (open or closed) compared to the Aeolus? And disadvantages (besides cost)?

I don't know if the info below qualifies as advantages vs disadvantages of these headphones -- but I did put some time & effort into comparing their sound in late November. My post on that topic is below. Of course this falls far short of the detail & coolness of the "ZMF Compendium," as most things do:

Post #3,321 of 3,542
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-aeolus-impressions-thread.890441/page-222

Re disadvantages (besides cost): these 2 headphones are really superb in their ways. I find it hard to pick out any truly objectionable qualities of either. The biggest disadvantage of the Aeolus is that it's not also a Verite Open; and the biggest disadvantage of the Verite Open is that it's not also an Aeolus.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,544 of 6,740
The LP with the Aeolus results in a very engaging listening experience. The immediate difference was the sound stage. I didn't have to a A/B comparison, it was just so present. Plus, the mid range now is just downright amazing. Guitars in Boston's Hitch a Ride is lifelike.

To my ears, the LP brought an excellent sound stage and refined the mids. I can listen for hours without fatigue now.

Sounds like my Figaro 339 would be a heavenly match with the Aeolus then, as the Figaro gives a very wide/deep soundstage, lovely organic mid tones.

Cant wait to get an Aeolus so I can try it out with my amps.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #3,545 of 6,740
Verite has much more treble and speed than Aeolus. Treble energy can be too much, especially with amps that are advertised and known to be bright like the Valhalla 2, or ones that are just antiseptic like 789.

Verite has much better soundstage. It sounds more impactful, especially when taking the speed and less decay into account.

I think it tends to a more neutral, tight and textured sounding bass as well.

Verite, however, does have a midrange that has a little emphasis on some freq, and a dip in others. I really enjoy how this sounds overall, but sometimes the effect is that you get a song or two (out of, let's just say 50 songs) where a singer sounds less infront of the band than on other headphones, or, a guitar solo jumps out a bit more than usual.

Aeolus is more liquid and musical though. The mids are amazing and steal the show, bass has rumble when called for, treble just smoothly presents itself, and the whole listening experience is just more rich and organic.

I consider Aeolus to be the best introduction to ZMF as it has probably the best ability to adjust to a user's sound preferences via pad rolling. The default Aeolus pads are fun, but various suede and leather pads can make it more neutral, or emphasize different desired aspects, etc.

Both headphones really love a good tube amp. You can further dial in the sound here with a cleaner/neutral amp like SW51+, or add a bit of gravy with something like the Tuba or an OTL amp, which would be great pairings.

Given your preference for classical, but desire a less sparkly and fatiguing sound, it makes it hard to decide which I would recommend. Aeolus with one of the more neutral pads, or Verite Closed with suede universe pads.

Personally, I use my Verite Closed with suede pads a lot because I'm the sensitive too, and I think the better technicalities may lend itself to a better experience for you. I listen to a lot of blues, rock, jazz, and EDM. I won't claim to be fluent in classical - at all - although there are some things there I do like.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #3,546 of 6,740
Many thanks to ProfFalkin and Pharmaboy. I couldn't have asked for more comprehensive and helpful responses! :beerchug:

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #3,547 of 6,740

Both headphones really love a good tube amp. You can further dial in the sound here with a cleaner/neutral amp like SW51+, or add a bit of gravy with something like the Tuba or an OTL amp, which would be great pairings.

I am currently using a Vali2 amp and was planning to upgrade to the Lyr3 for the Aeolus. FloydCouncil recommends the Liquid Platinum hybrid and ProfFalkin suggests the Tuba hybrid. The SW51+ is very hard to find these days. Since I am familiar with the Vali2 and like it and the Lyr3 is supposed to have a very similar sound signature (but much improved) I am still planning on the Lyr3 but I am open to feedback in case anyone is able to make a relevant comparison.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,548 of 6,740
FYI, do folks know about the "ZMF Compendium" @ https://superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/zmf-compendium.9044/#post-293624 ? It's pretty cool.
There is a lot of valuable information on that site, if you can get past the fact that it is not only the most unfriendly and rigidly group think site I have ever seen, but revels in that reputation. Post something favorable about, say, the Sennheiser HD 700 (a particular item of group scorn) or any Topping product (in fact, most Chinese brands outside of HiFiMan) and you'll see what I mean. (BTW, it apparently is, or at least was, against Head-Fi policy to mention that site by name on these forums. I found out by once having a post deleted for doing so.)

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #3,549 of 6,740
I am currently using a Vali2 amp and was planning to upgrade to the Lyr3 for the Aeolus. FloydCouncil recommends the Liquid Platinum hybrid and ProfFalkin suggests the Tuba hybrid. The SW51+ is very hard to find these days. Since I am familiar with the Vali2 and like it and the Lyr3 is supposed to have a very similar sound signature (but much improved) I am still planning on the Lyr3 but I am open to feedback in case anyone is able to make a relevant comparison.

I have owned the Lyr 3 (+ many tubes) during one year with the Aeolus and now my main amp is the Liquid Platinum. The Lyr 3 is a very good amp for the price, but to my ears, the Liquid Platinum is a much better match with the Aeolus. Especially for the mids, the bass and the wonderful soundstage. Some of you will probably think that I'm crazy, but I think I prefer the Aeolus over the Verite Closed out of the Liquid Platinum.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #3,550 of 6,740
There is a lot of valuable information on that site, if you can get past the fact that it is not only the most unfriendly and rigidly group think site I have ever seen, but revels in that reputation. Post something favorable about, say, the Sennheiser HD 700 (a particular item of group scorn) or any Topping product (in fact, most Chinese brands outside of HiFiMan) and you'll see what I mean. (BTW, it apparently is, or at least was, against Head-Fi policy to mention that site by name on these forums. I found out by once having a post deleted for doing so.)
2 things about that tho. I think they've made it abundantly clear by now that they aren't an open forum as much as they are a little club. Not like how the Boy Scouts are a club, but more like how the Hells Angels are a club.

People who drive up in a Prius and yuppy clothes, knock over a few Harley Davidsons, proclaim loudly they have opinions and expertise too, demand instant respect, all without so much as an introduction, then cry, bitch and moan about how the a$$ beating they received was uncalled for... I mean, I just don't know what else they were expecting would happen. There are ways to fit in there. When in Rome...

Also, Lyr 3 is good, so is LP. Both trade benefits here and there, imo. I recommended the Tuba because it's more like a less expensive ECP T4 than it is a Lyr 3/LP, and the T4 hands both the Lyr and LP their butts on a silver platter.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #3,551 of 6,740
Some of you will probably think that I'm crazy, but I prefer the Aeolus over the Verite Closed out of the Liquid Platinum.

Nothing wrong with that, its all a matter of preference, and the Verite although it technically better but that does not equate to it being more musical or enjoyable.

From what I have read, I would probably choose the Aeolus over the Verite too, as apparently Verite is recessed in the mids which for me is a big no no.

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #3,552 of 6,740
2 things about that tho. I think they've made it abundantly clear by now that they aren't an open forum as much as they are a little club. Not like how the Boy Scouts are a club, but more like how the Hells Angels are a club.

People who drive up in a Prius and yuppy clothes, proclaim loudly they have opinions and expertise too, demand instant respect, all without so much as an introduction, then cry, bitch and moan about how the a$$ beating they received was uncalled for... I mean, I just don't know what else they were expecting would happen. There are ways to fit in there. When in Rome...

I just joined the aforesaid forum yesterday and they INSIST that you read the introductory pinned information for new members. That pinned information is pretty explicit that a limited number of folks have more authority than others, and that hierarchical setup is to be respected. It is clearly stated that not 'anything goes,' and if you act like an a**hole in their estimation, you do so at risk of being excluded. So, ProfFalkin's appraisal is correct.

Also, Lyr 3 is good, so is LP. Both trade benefits here and there, imo. I recommended the Tuba because it's more like a less expensive ECP T4 than it is a Lyr 3/LP, and the T4 hands both the Lyr and LP their butts on a silver platter.

Now, this is getting interesting! I have no idea what an ECP T4 is, but I will do some research. I'd like to hear ProfFalkin be a bit more explicit in comparing the LP with the Lyr3 as to pros and cons, if he might. I am mostly interested in hybrid-tube amps with one or (at most) two ports. My patience, interest, and cost tolerance for tube rolling is limited as I've discovered via my Vali2. I've got 5-6 high quality classic 6DJ8/6922 tubes I roll with the Vali2, and that's good for me. One advantage of the LP is that it uses the same tube as the Vali2 (except that it needs two of each!). The Lyr3 has switched to the 6SN7 tube and my limited knowledge so far tells me that tube options are much more limited there.

Any others out there who know about the Lyr3 vs. other tube hybrids like the LP, Tuba, etc. for the Aeolus?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #3,553 of 6,740
Nothing wrong with that, its all a matter of preference, and the Verite although it technically better but that does not equate to it being more musical or enjoyable.

From what I have read, I would probably choose the Aeolus over the Verite too, as apparently Verite is recessed in the mids which for me is a big no no.

Yes, it's all about musical enjoyment at the end. The VC are better than the Aeolus technically, but yeah if you are coming from the HD6XX, you will prefer the mids of the Aeolus. (With the Universe suede pads)

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #3,554 of 6,740
Sounds like my Figaro 339 would be a heavenly match with the Aeolus then, as the Figaro gives a very wide/deep soundstage, lovely organic mid tones.

Cant wait to get an Aeolus so I can try it out with my amps.

Oh yeah, great match! Get some GEC 4079s, Telefunken EF800, adapters, and the Universe perf sued pads. Damn fine combo that!

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,555 of 6,740
Wenge Wood Salire is in the house and man what a gorgeous piece of wood! I knew it was going to look amazing in person, but it's beauty has far exceeded my expectations. I absolutely love the grain pattern and overall colors, and it makes the headphones pop just like I wanted it to. The design is fantastic and really clever. It goes so well with the headphones, and is so cool looking that I can't stop looking at it. I love it!

Check out this beauty!

20210115_152910.jpg

20210115_155243.jpg

My Happy Place :o2smile:

20210115_153207.jpg

A big thanks to ZMF, for such an amazing looking and functioning headphone stand!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back