ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 21, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #2,732 of 6,741
Turns out selling my other hp's (minus 1000XM2's for busrides and travel) was the right call. I just kept gravitating to the Aeolus every time. I do notice my brain wanting some variation every now and then, but soon I'll have suede perf pads to provide said variation - hopefully they fit my taste.

Even my girlfriend has admitted the Aeolus was a good investment. I'm not gonna lie, I've had a major health problem these past months, and combined with the covid19 situation, it's made my existence pretty crappy, in turn making me stressed and irritable. She's noticed a real drop in my stress and a mood lift every time i put the Aeolus on. There's something about the way it presents music. It's euphoric, organic, or just natural. Just very pleasant. It helps to have something special every day to help dealing with, well, life.

And yes, pretty they are. Very pretty. Awesome job @zach915m

Edit: Cable is from SkyAudioCables @ ebay.

20200615_005501.jpg20200615_005157.jpg
Music is a great form of therapy, especially if it resonates with us through using the right headphones for our preferences. I have found that for myself as well. Hope you get well soon! ZMF is really starting to attract my attention these days and the Aeolus looks very interesting. Missed it initially because I kept looking primarily at the Atticus and Eikon.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,733 of 6,741
Quick question: How do I clean the suede pads? They're not dirty or stained with questionable substances, they just need a little care. Is it a bad idea to apply a suede leather shoe protector?

Best to use a lint roller, that does the best job!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,735 of 6,741
cross-posting from other ZMF thread :wink:

I hope this is ok to post this here... but I had a great live chat with Zach and Bevin the patron saints of ZMF :wink: over the weekend! I learned a lesson regarding volume matching so sorry if I am louder than they are during the video =( But, it is some great info and a nice view into Zach and Bevins world :wink: @zach915m and @BooUrns Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedules to sit and chat with me and answer questions from the community =) Looking forward to the next one!!!

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,736 of 6,741
Jun 22, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #2,737 of 6,741
Jun 22, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,739 of 6,741
thank you @Wes S and @Klmahnn for giving it a watch/listen! I had a lot of fun talking with them!

Really enjoyable. Great idea, thanks for taking the time.

Quick, constructive question though - like when Metal571 interviewed Audeze, the video quality on the interviewee side is terrible. I understand that there are internet "issues" sometimes, but this is 2020. Can't you guys do a trial run first, figure out how to get decent video and audio going, then go for it? :) (P.S., the video and audio were terrible, but still 200% better than what Audeze achieved with Metal)

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,740 of 6,741
Really enjoyable. Great idea, thanks for taking the time.

Quick, constructive question though - like when Metal571 interviewed Audeze, the video quality on the interviewee side is terrible. I understand that there are internet "issues" sometimes, but this is 2020. Can't you guys do a trial run first, figure out how to get decent video and audio going, then go for it? :) (P.S., the video and audio were terrible, but still 200% better than what Audeze achieved with Metal)
Yeah... it is tough, too many factors are playing into the video/audio quality... somethings you just have to deal with... these are live-stream chats so no post-processing or controlled environments... on top of that I'm in Seattle, while ZMF is across the country in Chicago... I chose a server near them to host off hoping it would help with any video/audio drops due to internet connectivity/dips etc... regarding the voice issues... it is tough, and I'm still learning how to best optimize it under these conditions... It is going from Discord -> OBS software -> YouTube Live Stream so a lot of spots to go through for errors to occur... on my end, they sounded great, but once the stream hit YouTube I was louder than they were... I figured out it was at the OBS level that was causing this issue... I will continue to work on getting this optimized. Sorry for the poor quality =( I'll do my best to up the quality for future streams... especially as I become more fluent in these systems and how to best optimize them. Thank you for giving it a watch/listen though as I think it is still a great insight into ZMF =) they are great and well worth learning more about them =)

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,741 of 6,741
Yeah... it is tough, too many factors are playing into the video/audio quality... somethings you just have to deal with... these are live-stream chats so no post-processing or controlled environments... on top of that I'm in Seattle, while ZMF is across the country in Chicago... I chose a server near them to host off hoping it would help with any video/audio drops due to internet connectivity/dips etc... regarding the voice issues... it is tough, and I'm still learning how to best optimize it under these conditions... It is going from Discord -> OBS software -> YouTube Live Stream so a lot of spots to go through for errors to occur... on my end, they sounded great, but once the stream hit YouTube I was louder than they were... I figured out it was at the OBS level that was causing this issue... I will continue to work on getting this optimized. Sorry for the poor quality =( I'll do my best to up the quality for future streams... especially as I become more fluent in these systems and how to best optimize them. Thank you for giving it a watch/listen though as I think it is still a great insight into ZMF =) they are great and well worth learning more about them =)

You did a great job @Darthpool it was highly enjoyable! Thank you for putting it together!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 22, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2,742 of 6,741

It's a learning process. The important part is that you're willing to learn and work on your setup for the future. Thanks for the effort - it's always nice to learn more, and it's always a pleasure to hear from Zach and Bevin.

I've been having fun with learning about my Aeolus with the suede earpads. It was supposed to be just some variation for my ears without having to buy a 2nd pair of headphones (again) but I really think I actually prefer this sound. It's very pleasant but interesting and engaging. The mids are pure magic. I need to do more listening before I can offer a conclusive opinion on the sound, but already I can tell I like it. The Aeolus is still there though - its soul and identity hasn't been lost.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #2,743 of 6,741
I've been having fun with learning about my Aeolus with the suede earpads. It was supposed to be just some variation for my ears without having to buy a 2nd pair of headphones (again) but I really think I actually prefer this sound. It's very pleasant but interesting and engaging. The mids are pure magic. I need to do more listening before I can offer a conclusive opinion on the sound, but already I can tell I like it. The Aeolus is still there though - its soul and identity hasn't been lost.
I thought this too but after a while I always switch pads again and then swear I prefer those. I realise that every now and again your brain appreciates the switch up as the grass is always greener on the other side and we get bored!

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #2,744 of 6,741
IDK if it's the exact same driver as the Atticus, but IIRC it's essentially the same and that driver looks like this:

Hope that helps

Interesting. I have seen Atticus' driver, here's a pic:

o1Nug2E.jpg

:xf_eek: :p
(Atticus Finch + "Driving Miss Daisy") Anyone? Anyone? *sigh* nevermind...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back