ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 23, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,761 of 6,740

Aha, now have the option to add pics! Only taken one pic so far with my iphone, but I’ll have a better go with my proper camera later on. :)

6EB85900-7215-4782-BFA3-671B8574F1EB.jpeg

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,763 of 6,740
I have the Verite Perf Lambskin and the Universe Perf Suedes....like them both, just wanted to see if anyone had experience with the Suede version of the Verite pads. Not seeing anyone with experience on that one :)

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2,764 of 6,740
Aha, now have the option to add pics! Only taken one pic so far with my iphone, but I’ll have a better go with my proper camera later on. :)

Gorgeous pair! I love the look of the lighter burl contrasting with the black hardware.

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,766 of 6,740
That looks great! Still waiting on mine to ship. One day itll get here.

Thanks. They really are lovely to look at. I was really lucky in that the UK based dealer for ZMF had a pair in stock - I had them in my hands 28 hours after my wallet took the hit! My wife even commented on them and she normally just rolls her eyes at my music related gear.

I’m finally getting some time to listen to them and I am really enjoying what I’m hearing so far. Plus, they are comfy comfy comfy!!!!

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #2,767 of 6,740
Has anyone tried Verite Perforated Suede on these? Would it be too neutral/bright?
Technically there is no such pad, and it's actually a suede BE-2, as Bevin informed me. They're excellent on the Aeolus IMO. They kind of turn them into a junior Verite Open. For me they make it more neutral and detailed as they do on the Verite vs. the Universe suede.

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,769 of 6,740
Ltd Aeolus' might just be the prettiest headphones in existence. Especially with rose gold hardware. That burl wood just looks amazing. Not that I don't love my regular ones, but had I been able to choose, I'd have gone with the Ltd ones.

@canfabulous

I absolutely recommend getting universe suede perforated pads. The comfort goes up another notch, and the sound is great. It's just enough to give your brains some variation, without losing the Aeolus essence. You might like the sound more, or you might prefer the stock form more - either way it's absolutely worth it to have them. You might not find them from EU dealers right now (I think there might be a pair at ark audio) but ordering directly from ZMF shouldn't be a problem. I think they use FedEx to ship intl orders for now, so it shouldn't take forever to get there. It's less than $100 for basically a whole other pair of headphones, like Aeolus 1.1 or something.

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,770 of 6,740
My Aeolus arrived yesterday. I was lucky to get it from a dealer in Europe so I did not have to wait at all. By the way thanks to Stefan from headphoneauditions.nl who patiently helped me in choosing Aeolus as I had no chance to audition beforehand. Also thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic.
Coming from my time with HD800S first impressions were mixed yesterday as I was not ready for the amount of bass. Anyway this is normal as I always take some time to adjust and appreciate new gear. I already started to feel like I am getting used to the overall presentation today and it is clearly at a different level when it comes to invoking emotions when I listen to my favored tracks.

Lastly they are absolutely georgous, much better in real life imo.

Attachments

• 20200622_170441.jpg
    20200622_170441.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200622_135940.jpg
    20200622_135940.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #2,771 of 6,740
Has anyone tried both the magnesium and regular chassis and can provide opinions if the magnesium is worth the extra $200+?
IMO it isn't needed unless you're very weight sensitive. With all suede, my Sapele is 474g which is only 20 more than my silk Verite. My heaviest ZMF is 580 and even that's comfortable, but I'm upgrading the chassis on that anyway. Those under 500g feel light to me and the suede pads are very cushy and comfortable.

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #2,772 of 6,740
My Aeolus arrived yesterday. I was lucky to get it from a dealer in Europe so I did not have to wait at all. By the way thanks to Stefan from headphoneauditions.nl who patiently helped me in choosing Aeolus as I had no chance to audition beforehand. Also thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic.
Coming from my time with HD800S first impressions were mixed yesterday as I was not ready for the amount of bass. Anyway this is normal as I always take some time to adjust and appreciate new gear. I already started to feel like I am getting used to the overall presentation today and it is clearly at a different level when it comes to invoking emotions when I listen to my favored tracks.

Lastly they are absolutely georgous, much better in real life imo.
Nice! I see we have our Aeolus's hooked up to the same amp. I love mine on the Liquid Platinum, and especially with some Sylvania 6922 D Getter tubes. The mids are to die for!

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,773 of 6,740
@ddtomas

That's an important thing to remember, something that I used to forget when trying headphones. Your brain gets used to whatever you've been listening to, so anything new tends to sound off if it differs from the sound signature that you're used to at that time. It takes quite a bit of time for your hearing to adjust. Many make the mistake of making up their minds after a couple of days - I've done it, more than once.

Jumping from HD800 to Aeolus is a pretty extreme example, two totally different sound signatures and styles. Great combination, but going from being used to HD800 to listening to Aeolus, it will definitely take time before your brain adjusts. It's a real good thing you're cognizant of the issue. I hope you'll end up liking both headphones! They're both awesome in different ways.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,774 of 6,740
Nice! I see we have our Aeolus's hooked up to the same amp. I love mine on the Liquid Platinum, and especially with some Sylvania 6922 D Getter tubes. The mids are to die for!

Thanks, D Getters are pretty hard to find if I am not mistaken. I currently have the Reflector 6H23N s on my LP. I really like those although it might be interesting to try something maybe a tad bit brighter maybe the Tesla Gold Pins.
I absolutely love the LP however one issue that I have with is that it is too powerful from RME Dac output at 0dbr. I cant seem to go above 9 oclock position. I can always decrease the output from the DAC but losing bits of signal etc. (not stuff I really understand to be honest)

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,775 of 6,740
@ddtomas

That's an important thing to remember, something that I used to forget when trying headphones. Your brain gets used to whatever you've been listening to, so anything new tends to sound off if it differs from the sound signature that you're used to at that time. It takes quite a bit of time for your hearing to adjust. Many make the mistake of making up their minds after a couple of days - I've done it, more than once.

Jumping from HD800 to Aeolus is a pretty extreme example, two totally different sound signatures and styles. Great combination, but going from being used to HD800 to listening to Aeolus, it will definitely take time before your brain adjusts. It's a real good thing you're cognizant of the issue. I hope you'll end up liking both headphones! They're both awesome in different ways.

Thank you. I agree with you and I already have done that very mistake even though I am quite new in the hobby. I sent back the B-stock Ether 2s I bought a few months back because they sounded too distant. (MY reference at that point was the Beyer T5 2nd gen) However the excellent presentation it showed especially with live jazz recordings just stayed with me.

About Aeolus: If my initial post sounded maybe a little negative, it really is not & I already love it more and more each second. It was just a reflection from the perspective of someone coming from a different headphone and not having a whole lot of experience. Maybe it could help other people who are at a similar situation as me.

PS= Thank you also for the cable suggestion on the prev page. I went ahead and ordered one. I think the price is very reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back