ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 28, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,462 of 6,740
The first couple times are a little tricky. Once you get the hang of it it takes about 3-5 minutes to swap both pads. You really just have to be careful you dont let the wood cups smack together and that they're facing the right direction (you can rotate them freely once they're on).

See this video Zach from ZMF published on how to change pads:

Mar 28, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,463 of 6,740
I never bothered pad rolling the loaner Verite. Sound was ideal w/stock pads IMO.

The Aeolus was more of a journey. I had repeated loans of my friend's Aeolus last year. When I first heard it the stock pads were on...sound was pretty much the way people describe the Atticus' sound (warm, bassy, ear-friendly, addictive, "fun"), but of course, open rather than closed (ideal for me). I liked that sound.

Then I had an extended loan w/the same Aeolus w/Verite pads on. Whammo! The same core sound quality, but more even/flat, balanced, controlled--more coherent & detailed. Suddenly the resolution & "technicalities" were better, but the sound still quite entertaining. I posted here about it. As I recall, vs stock pads, with the Verite pads the midbass emphasis came down, bass depth & sub-bass seemed better, treble came up a bit, etc (mids on Aelous are always luscious--that never seems to change).

I thought that was a killer sound--my new favorite--until late last year I heard the Aeolus w/perforated Universe pads. That great sound got even better...treble backed off a touch; midbass back up just a bit; soundstage (always big on Aeolus) seemed even bigger; dynamics (always big on Aeolus) seemed a bit bigger. This is my new favorite...

Pad swaps seem to just fine-tune that wonderful Aeolus sound.

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #2,464 of 6,740
Agreed that the Universe suede are the ticket on the Aeolus. I found the stock pads too bass heavy with some odd stuff in the highs, the Verite pads technically more accurate but boring, and the Universe suede as the perfect blend of great FR and fun factor.

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #2,465 of 6,740
Agreed that the Universe suede are the ticket on the Aeolus. I found the stock pads too bass heavy with some odd stuff in the highs, the Verite pads technically more accurate but boring, and the Universe suede as the perfect blend of great FR and fun factor.

Are the Universe Suede perforated or are there two versions (perforated and non)?

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #2,466 of 6,740
Are the Universe Suede perforated or are there two versions (perforated and non)?

In the ZMF-speak, perforated pads are for open-back designs & non-perforated pads are for closed-backs. I've found this to be true, though obviously people can try any pad on any headphone.

The pad I like best on the Aeolus is the perforated suede Universe pad.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #2,467 of 6,740
Some people hate on Woo for reasons I don't fully understand. I remember one such person ripping the WA22 up and down on that thread. His belief was the only amps in the whole line that matter are the WA6 SE (a WA6 w/separate box transformer & PS) and the WA33 (a giant 2-box killer transformer-coupled amp)...the latter is in "sell-a-kidney" range. Luckily for me I can't fit either in my system, and can't afford the WA33 anyway.

I am very happy with my Woo Audio amps. I have met various folks from Woo (including Jack Wu himself) at various CanJam shows and I always found them to be friendly, knowledgeable and sincere. I am happy to own their products.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,468 of 6,740

Agreed - the perforated universe suede has a special kind of euphonic magic and really fun without sounding too flat. Lately, I’ve been using the universe hybrid (suede & leather) and love how a lot of the euphonic qualities are there from the suede, while retaining some of that mid-bass emphasis the stock leather pads have. Both of these are my favorite pads for the Aeolus, can’t decide which I like more. Others have said this before, but with the Aeolus it’s like you get several different headphones in one just by pad rolling.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #2,470 of 6,740
I never bothered pad rolling the loaner Verite. Sound was ideal w/stock pads IMO.

The Aeolus was more of a journey. I had repeated loans of my friend's Aeolus last year. When I first heard it the stock pads were on...sound was pretty much the way people describe the Atticus' sound (warm, bassy, ear-friendly, addictive, "fun"), but of course, open rather than closed (ideal for me). I liked that sound.

Then I had an extended loan w/the same Aeolus w/Verite pads on. Whammo! The same core sound quality, but more even/flat, balanced, controlled--more coherent & detailed. Suddenly the resolution & "technicalities" were better, but the sound still quite entertaining. I posted here about it. As I recall, vs stock pads, with the Verite pads the midbass emphasis came down, bass depth & sub-bass seemed better, treble came up a bit, etc (mids on Aelous are always luscious--that never seems to change).

I thought that was a killer sound--my new favorite--until late last year I heard the Aeolus w/perforated Universe pads. That great sound got even better...treble backed off a touch; midbass back up just a bit; soundstage (always big on Aeolus) seemed even bigger; dynamics (always big on Aeolus) seemed a bit bigger. This is my new favorite...

Pad swaps seem to just fine-tune that wonderful Aeolus sound.

oh that nice, will give them a try!

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,471 of 6,740
A little eye candy, here are my Aeolus LTD's next to the Elex's. It's been a while since I got them, but was in the middle of moving to a new house and had the WA22 boxed up. I finally have had time to listen to the combination and it's really great. Probably one of the nicest combinations I've ever listened to.

unnamed2.jpg

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #2,472 of 6,740
A little eye candy, here are my Aeolus LTD's next to the Elex's. It's been a while since I got them, but was in the middle of moving to a new house and had the WA22 boxed up. I finally have had time to listen to the combination and it's really great. Probably one of the nicest combinations I've ever listened to.

The Elex is my primary headphone for music right now. Is the Aeolus the perfect warmer complement to the Elex as I surmise? I've been trying to save towards an Aeolus (I'm retired on a fixed income and don't use credit, so it isn't quick), but the $1200 stimulus check will exactly pay for the base Aeolus. I have saved enough to add the Universe suede pads and a OFC cable.

Initially, I plan to try the Aeolus with the Massdrop THX AAA 789 (balanced output) and the Schiit Valhalla 2. Anyone have experience with those pairings?( I also have a Massdrop CTH, which is currently in my TV/Blu-ray setup, and a Little Dot MK III, which is boxed ATM.)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,473 of 6,740
They do compliment each other nicely, and are both very comfortable. I prefer the Elex's with the GS-X Mk2, though, because they are more sensitive to background noise and the WA22 can be a bit noisy, while the GS-X offers a pitch black background. The higher impedance Aeolus aren't nearly as noisy with the WA22 and the pairing is excellent. I haven't heard them on anything else, but the consensus is OTL amps pair well with the Aeolus.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,474 of 6,740
Just got my Aelous and at first I used them with the standard single ended cable connected to my Jotunheim. Nice sound, relaxed, outstanding dynamics and just really pleasant. Then I changed to a ZMF OFC balanced cable. Oh my goodness! What a dramatic improvement. Did NOT expect it to sound this amazing!!! My wife will kill me... but I think upgrading the cable again is the next step. :)

Apr 2, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,475 of 6,740
Just got my Aelous and at first I used them with the standard single ended cable connected to my Jotunheim. Nice sound, relaxed, outstanding dynamics and just really pleasant. Then I changed to a ZMF OFC balanced cable. Oh my goodness! What a dramatic improvement. Did NOT expect it to sound this amazing!!! My wife will kill me... but I think upgrading the cable again is the next step. :)

2 comments:
  • I had the OFC cable & it's very good. There are better cables out there, but now you're getting into $$...
  • And I hope your wife only gently assaults you (ie, slap on back of head). Hard to keep the headphone habit going post-mortem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back