ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 29, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2,356 of 6,741
after putting these larger Yaxi pads on the Porta Pros, they do sound somewhat like the Aeolus.
Can you provide a link to the pads on amazon or wherever else they can be purchased?
Thanks!

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,358 of 6,741
Aeolus Review

Over the years, many have claimed fame as being a “Super HD650”. I have ALWAYS found this to not be the case. My first full size expensive headphone I purchased years ago was the HD595 and soon after, the HD650. That same pair still lives in rotation among many more expensive headphones I own. While these “fake” super hd650s were sometimes good on their own merits, I have never found them to be good enough (or similar enough) to replace my hd650. Just to name a few that have worn the name super 650 are the Elear, Ether Flow, PMx2, Atticus and more. While some of these are fantastic headphones, they were never super 650s to me. In my opinion, the Aeolus is the first headphone that will be called so and actually deserve it.

VS Sennheiser HD650

Quick reference:
Quality
Bass: Aeolus > 650
Mids: Aeolus = 650
Treble: Aeolus > 650
Quantity
Bass: Aeolus > 650
Treble Aeolus > 650

Hi @mysticstryk ,

Apologies for resurrecting such an old post. I have been reading through the Aeolus thread and came across these observations. I see that you currently still own the HD-650, but not the Aeolus. Would it be alright to ask you how come given that you assessed the Aeolus as superior or equal to the HD-650 on all sound aspects?

Thanks! (and double apologies if you actually answered this somewhere else in the 150+ pages of this thread)

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #2,359 of 6,741
Hi @mysticstryk ,

Apologies for resurrecting such an old post. I have been reading through the Aeolus thread and came across these observations. I see that you currently still own the HD-650, but not the Aeolus. Would it be alright to ask you how come given that you assessed the Aeolus as superior or equal to the HD-650 on all sound aspects?

Thanks! (and double apologies if you actually answered this somewhere else in the 150+ pages of this thread)

I had a preference for the Auteur and don't need half a dozen expensive headphones. The HD650 is cheap and I've had it for years, it's not going anywhere.

I still rock my Auteur since I got it over 2 years ago.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #2,361 of 6,741
Zach stated that the Aeolus uses a 30n magnet with 15 lbs pull force. Does anyone know how this compares to the strength of Tesla rated magnets or compared to the magnets used by the Sennheiser HD-600 or HD-650? I would like to know how the 30n magnet of the Aeolus compares to the 1.5 tesla magnet of the LCD-MX4. I know most people want stronger magnets for higher detail, but I personally want a weaker magnet.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,362 of 6,741
Zach stated that the Aeolus uses a 30n magnet with 15 lbs pull force. Does anyone know how this compares to the strength of Tesla rated magnets or compared to the magnets used by the Sennheiser HD-600 or HD-650? I would like to know how the 30n magnet of the Aeolus compares to the 1.5 tesla magnet of the LCD-MX4. I know most people want stronger magnets for higher detail, but I personally want a weaker magnet.

The LCD-MX4 uses a planar driver. That's a totally different driver concept than the Aeolus, which uses a dynamic driver.

I'm no electronics expert, but I'm pretty sure planar drivers require bigger magnets than dynamic drivers, all other things being equal.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,363 of 6,741
The LCD-MX4 uses a planar driver. That's a totally different driver concept than the Aeolus, which uses a dynamic driver.

I'm no electronics expert, but I'm pretty sure planar drivers require bigger magnets than dynamic drivers, all other things being equal.

Since the voice coil runs throughout the diaphragm on a planar, the magnets should cover that area as well to keep the magnetic flux even across the whole diaphragm. On a dynamic, the voice coil is typically a ring (sometimes two) as some point on the diaphragm. Given that, I would imagine planars need more magnetic area but perhaps less magnetic volume overall, but since the arrangement of those magnets and the size of the diaphragm are so different, I'm not sure a comparison purely on magnetic flux is meaningful.

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #2,364 of 6,741
Just had a listening experience that's typical for the Aeolus, but not as much for other headphones I have, or had in the past. This is my new (fully burned in) blackwood Aeolus (the same thing happened with my friend's sapele Aeolus):
  • Just heard several different genres of music at varying volumes through my V281.
  • The music included:
    • funk & reggae having a strong beat & prominent bass line (at moderately loud volume)
    • acoustic jazz (at moderate volume)
    • and solo classical piano, the quiet & contemplative kind (at low-to-moderate volume)
These genres are nothing like each other, but the Aeolus killed on every cut. The bass is excellent, deep & dynamic, yielding a very live, full sound. The midrange and treble are detailed, full of musical nuance, but non-fatiguing to a fault. Soundstaging competes with the best I've heard--wide, relatively deep, spacious but with well-defined placement of instruments & voices. Macro- and micro-dynamics are excellent--quick, clean, no overhang or excess reverb.

But as usual with the Aeolus, the main thing I get is how addictive & entertaining the sound is. Every type of music is served up in an ideally natural, organic manner. This sound pulls me in every time. It's so involving that I really can't listen to the Aeolus on background for work, email, whatever.

I'm still trying to figure out why this headphone is so compelling. It's not the technicalities, the discreet sonic characteristics we all talk about--though the Aeolus acquits itself very well in all regards. Instead it's the overall quality, the gestalt of the Aeolus that I find so compelling.

One effect of this is I find myself reaching for the Aeolus more than the other headphones I have--headphones that definitely please & interest me. With the exception of the Ori and the Eikon (comparing them to the Aeolus is fascinating & involving), the others aren't getting much head-time.

I can't recall a single time when I was dissatisfied or disengaged with the music on the Aeolus. It's the best all-rounder I've ever heard. It's also beautiful to look at and very comfortable. I couldn't be happier with this headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #2,365 of 6,741
Just had a listening experience that's typical for the Aeolus, but not as much for other headphones I have, or had in the past. This is my new (fully burned in) blackwood Aeolus (the same thing happened with my friend's sapele Aeolus):
  • Just heard several different genres of music at varying volumes through my V281.
  • The music included:
    • funk & reggae having a strong beat & prominent bass line (at moderately loud volume)
    • and solo classical piano, the quiet & contemplative kind (at low-to-moderate volume)
These genres are nothing like each other, but the Aeolus killed on every cut. The bass is excellent, deep & dynamic, yielding a very live, full sound. The midrange and treble are detailed, full of musical nuance, but non-fatiguing to a fault. Soundstaging competes with the best I've heard--wide, relatively deep, spacious but with well-defined placement of instruments & voices. Macro- and micro-dynamics are excellent--quick, clean, no overhang or excess reverb.

But as usual with the Aeolus, the main thing I get is how addictive & entertaining the sound is. Every type of music is served up in an ideally natural, organic manner. This sound pulls me in every time. It's so involving that I really can't listen to the Aeolus on background for work, email, whatever.

I'm still trying to figure out why this headphone is so compelling. It's not the technicalities, the discreet sonic characteristics we all talk about--though the Aeolus acquits itself very well in all regards. Instead it's the overall quality, the gestalt of the Aeolus that I find so compelling.

One effect of this is I find myself reaching for the Aeolus more than the other headphones I have--headphones that definitely please & interest me. With the exception of the Ori and the Eikon (comparing them to the Aeolus is fascinating & involving), the others aren't getting much head-time.

I can't recall a single time when I was dissatisfied or disengaged with the music on the Aeolus. It's the best all-rounder I've ever heard. It's also beautiful to look at and very comfortable. I couldn't be happier with this headphone.
Do you have experience with the Auteur?

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #2,366 of 6,741
Do you have experience with the Auteur?

Yes. I heard a number of Auteurs at 2 shows (CanJam NYC)--sometimes in quiet conditions, other times not so quiet. Also heard one in my system briefly.

I admire many things about the Auteur, which sounds quite similar to the closed-back Eikon (same driver in a somewhat different enclosure). But my preference is the Aeolus because it matches my sonic tastes better.

My 2nd preference for an open-back ZMF is the Verite open, which has a rather different sound from either the Auteur or Aeolus.

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,367 of 6,741
Yes. I heard a number of Auteurs at 2 shows (CanJam NYC)--sometimes in quiet conditions, other times not so quiet. Also heard one in my system briefly.

I admire many things about the Auteur, which sounds quite similar to the closed-back Eikon (same driver in a somewhat different enclosure). But my preference is the Aeolus because it matches my sonic tastes better.

My 2nd preference for an open-back ZMF is the Verite open, which has a rather different sound from either the Auteur or Aeolus.
Thank you!

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #2,368 of 6,741
  • The music included:

Great write-up @Pharmaboy

Out of interest, what source are you using and is the V281 running DAC duties as well as amplification?

In terms of the Verite, what have been your observations vs Aeolus? You mentioned it was your 2nd favourite, would you mind summing up what you perceived the differences to be. I'm currently saving for the Verite, however, I haven't had a chance to listen to a pair yet, it's a blind buy - I feel ok about that because the s/h market for them is very buoyant, so if it doesn't appeal to me I can move it on.

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #2,369 of 6,741

Out of interest, what source are you using and is the V281 running DAC duties as well as amplification?

In terms of the Verite, what have been your observations vs Aeolus? You mentioned it was your 2nd favourite, would you mind summing up what you perceived the differences to be. I'm currently saving for the Verite, however, I haven't had a chance to listen to a pair yet, it's a blind buy - I feel ok about that because the s/h market for them is very buoyant, so if it doesn't appeal to me I can move it on.
I don't want to speak for @Pharmaboy (but I will anyway) IIRC he's been using mostly the MHDT Labs Orchid NOS DAC, but when he heard the Verite might have been a different DAC. I'm sure he'll chime in when he can. I did post some thoughts on the two headpphones in my write up if you're interested ( link ). I was using a Gungnir D/S. ifi Pro iCAN/DNA Sonnet. I'm with him though, the Aeolus/Verite would definitely be my 1st & 2nd choice. Each switching the 1st & 2nd spot depending on my mood, but the Verite would probabaly be my overall preference.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #2,370 of 6,741

I'll answer since I have all 3. I think the Aeolus have a similar house sound on first impression. The Verite is clearly more detailed and has a more enveloping soundstage to my ears. The mids are a tad recessed in comparison though. The Auteur is the most different from the other 2 but still retains the house sound. I think the closest to me is the 800, which beats it on detail and soundstage, but does come across as thin especially if going to the Auteur right after. The Auteur overall is a more lush and full and therefore more enjoyable. I'd put them in order of preference Verite>Auteur>Aeolus/Atticus. I'm probably in the minority in terms of liking the Atticus as much as the Aeolus and I usually need closed at night, so they end up getting a lot of head time for that reason. All were blind buys and I have no plans to sell any of them. You really can't go wrong IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back