ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 24, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #2,341 of 6,741
speaking of pads, i'm using the verite pads (or at least that's what i think it is since it's so slim and flat) on my aeolus,

what pads would make auteur sound more forward, faster and detailed if any?

or that can be achieved w cable change instead..

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,342 of 6,741
I haven't been able to spend much time with my headphones these last several months. However, I have sat down with the Aeolus these last couple weeks, and I must say that I like the unmistakable ZMF attitude that comes from them, as well as the variety of the Aeolus compared to my Verite (open) and the Eikon.
Each have very different personalities, reacts to music differently based on the album mix and the amp, but gives me a whole slew of variety based on my mood and the music I'm listening to.
I would like to get the VC to have an even number of ZMF headphones, but I can't justify the expenditure at this point in time, and I'd like to try them out before seriously considering three to five months of ramen (or a few months without paying rent) to get them. :D
I was looking forward to CanJam Singapore, but now I will have to find out if there is another time this year where I'll have the opportunity to test run.

It's not the end of the world. I have three awesome headphones that make me happy for completely different reasons. It's like my guitars... My Teles make me happy for specific tones and music styles; my Strat is my go-to all-around workhorse; the SG is for rich blues with bite; and the Ibanez JS has creamy, fluid warmth and amazing action for when I want to get lost in fast runs, vicious dive-bombs and endless sustain.
Each have their purpose, and satisfy me in different ways.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #2,343 of 6,741
speaking of pads, i'm using the verite pads (or at least that's what i think it is since it's so slim and flat) on my aeolus,

what pads would make auteur sound more forward, faster and detailed if any?

Perforated Auteur or Verite pads as far as detail. Going by the suede version, so leather might be more detailed.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,344 of 6,741
Hi all, been browsing this thread for some insight on what headphone I should pick up. From reading the descriptions you all have kindly posted, these are on my list to consider.
My main question is how these differ from the typical planar, as that is what I’m currently used to. I tried a friend‘s HD650, wasn’t to thrilled about it and didn’t leave an impression on me. The one thing for sure I want is an open back, the other headphones I’m considering are the Ether 2, and the Arya.
I appreciate any comments you all can provide.

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #2,345 of 6,741
Hi all, been browsing this thread for some insight on what headphone I should pick up. From reading the descriptions you all have kindly posted, these are on my list to consider.
My main question is how these differ from the typical planar, as that is what I’m currently used to. I tried a friend‘s HD650, wasn’t to thrilled about it and didn’t leave an impression on me. The one thing for sure I want is an open back, the other headphones I’m considering are the Ether 2, and the Arya.
I appreciate any comments you all can provide.

If you are talking about the AFC, then the Aeolus has much more slam and bass presence, but less sub-bass extension. It's fairly well detailed for a dynamic at its price, but the AFC has better control and linearity in the low end. The mids on the Aeolus are warmer, with some bass bleed, but quite rich and lush. The AFC is neutral and somewhat boring in the mids. Neither has very extended or prominent treble, but the Aeolus manages less grain and peakiness. The AFC has more detail here, as it does in general, and a bit more presence and evenness. The Aeolus is more natural sounding, more speaker sounding, while the AFC is more neutral. The difference between the two is also not something that you could really EQ away, as the AFC has less dynamics and impact than average where the Aeolus excels. Soundstage, the Aeolus wins handily, though it isn't the most open-sounding ever. Imaging and separation goes to the AFC. Both are amp picky, in my experience, though in different ways (voltage vs. current needs), but the Aeolus is easier to pair as the AFC, IMO, could use a bit of a bass boost (tuning filters are okay though).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,346 of 6,741
If you are talking about the AFC, then the Aeolus has much more slam and bass presence, but less sub-bass extension. It's fairly well detailed for a dynamic at its price, but the AFC has better control and linearity in the low end. The mids on the Aeolus are warmer, with some bass bleed, but quite rich and lush. The AFC is neutral and somewhat boring in the mids. Neither has very extended or prominent treble, but the Aeolus manages less grain and peakiness. The AFC has more detail here, as it does in general, and a bit more presence and evenness. The Aeolus is more natural sounding, more speaker sounding, while the AFC is more neutral. The difference between the two is also not something that you could really EQ away, as the AFC has less dynamics and impact than average where the Aeolus excels. Soundstage, the Aeolus wins handily, though it isn't the most open-sounding ever. Imaging and separation goes to the AFC. Both are amp picky, in my experience, though in different ways (voltage vs. current needs), but the Aeolus is easier to pair as the AFC, IMO, could use a bit of a bass boost (tuning filters are okay though).

Thank you for your perspective, I am definitely looking for something different than my current AFC as I will hold on to them. In reading the comments posted, it appears to have be one of the few headphones that you can sit back and lose yourself in the music and your description of them sounding more like a a speaker makes me think that is why.

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #2,347 of 6,741
Thank you for your perspective, I am definitely looking for something different than my current AFC as I will hold on to them. In reading the comments posted, it appears to have be one of the few headphones that you can sit back and lose yourself in the music and your description of them sounding more like a a speaker makes me think that is why.

I heard the AFC several times before its latest revision, but can't claim any real familiarity with it. Beyond that, I have experience with both planars & dynamic headphones & have posted occasional comments here contrasting them. I like planars a lot for specific things they do differently & well (ie, bass, low distortion, quick launch & decay of notes, etc)

But something you said is actually a key to understanding the Aeolus:

"...it appears to have be one of the few headphones that you can sit back and lose yourself in the music..."

Exactly. Not sure why, but it's true. I have a few other headphones that do certain things very well, but the Aeolus is the entertainment & immersion champ. In fact, I sold a couple big-time planars because they couldn't equal the Aeolus in this way.

I've found that comparing discreet characteristics of the Aeolus vs a planar like the AFC fails to capture the main difference: that the Aeolus is simply more involving & fun to listen to. It certainly doesn't hurt that it's quite comfortable and very nice to look at, no matter what wood is used.

PS: The Ori (planar) is also one of those few headphones that really immerse me in music But it's a closed back, which for unrelated reasons isn't ideal for me.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #2,349 of 6,741
d some people saying that the Aeolus can sound a bit muffled. Would that be related to the ear cup pads used + lack of amp synergy? I own both an Asgard 3 and Drop THX 789. It will be driven mostly by the Asgard though, since that's the one I have at home because I need it's pre amp function to make my life easier.

A bit about my sound preferences:
I like a sound that feels warm (not a volcano) and full, but not crazy smooth like the Meze Empyreans. I didn't like those.
I quite enjoy the sound of both my HD6XX (neutral with a bit of sparkle) and AEON 2 CB (I use the thicker and white inner padding that comes with it for a warmer sound, and the whole FR sounds pleasing to me).
I hate with all my heart the HD700. That person. I could drop a nuclear bomb on top of the factories that built these cans without a shame in the world. They made me hate bright headphones with an intensity that is crazy. Properly equalized, they are listenable, but still not my thing really. I have no problem with detailed cans, I just can't handle uncontrolled brightness. For instance, the Focal Stellia handles treble beautifully to my ears.

I was certain to go with the Audeze LCD2C by Zeos review, but them I heard them and found two problems that were bothering me. The treble was very recessed, and there was some harshness on voices. I heard the LCD2 Fazor fixes that, but I couldn't find one single dealer near me with them. I could very well consider the fazor model if these problems are indeed gone. The LCDX was weird. I heard two pairs, latest revision both. They sounded different. One was VERY neutral, a perfect HD600 made by Audeze. The second had to much treble on my face. How the hell is that even a thing I wonder, if not lack of quality control.

I considered the Auteur, but it may be too neutral for me. I wanted something with enough punch on the low, warm middles, a bit of sparkle on the treble without throwing me off with harshness.

If anyone got to the end of this wall of text and can give me some of your thoughts, I thank thee in advance.

I can understand why some people might describe the Aeolus as muffled.

I think this is down to three things:

Amp pairing, familiarity with bright headphones and/or unfamiliar with a smooth and balanced presentation.

On my Pathos Aurium, the Aeolus can (at first listen) sound a little muffled, but that is because I've been listening to the LCD-X or my AKG buds. However, both of those headphones can become a tad fatiguing over longer session depending on gear/music genre etc. Whereas my Aeolus is never fatiguing and once my ears adjust to the different presentation (smooth, lush, rich) I end up lowering the volume a tad from where the dial might have been for my LCD-X.

It's not that I like the Aeolus more or less over the LCD-X, they do entirely different things and I enjoy both, equally. However, if I'm settling down for a long session, or not in the mood for detail-hunting, wanting to tap my foot and enjoy the music, I'm reaching for the Aeolus, every time. That isn't to say that they don't resolve to the same degree as the LCD-X, it's merely that the presentation is smoother, more coherent and balanced, a cohesive musical picture where I forget about the headphone entirely (and any initially perceived muffled character). If I switch over to the analytical nature of the LCD-X, yes, it sounds like a veil is lifted but with the slightly analytical sound of the Aurium, that can be a little too much 'analysis' over a session.

On my Naim DAC V1 the Aeolus loses some of that smoothness, the V1 is quite aggressive and a forward presentation, with lots of attack/drive etc. This pairing provides a harder-edged presentation, it's not at all unpleasant, but I prefer the lushness of the Pathos with the Aeolus. The way I have my rig set up currently when running the Aeolus I let the Naim run DAC duties > Aurium, but when listening to my LCD-X I use RME ADI-2 FS > Aurium.

I'd recommend the Aeolus without reservation. When you get used to the sound signature / presentation, they reveal their qualities and they genuinely are sublime. If I had to choose between the LCD-X and Aeolus (thankfully, I don't) and bearing in mind that I have loved the LCD-X for years, first hearing it in 2017, I'd pick the Aeolus - it's just the smoother, more versatile (cross-genre), more balanced and more natural sounding headphone and it doesn't sacrifice all that much to the LCD-X, it's not the same, sure, but what I love about the X is there in the Aeolus, to a lesser degree or just presented in a more coherent and musical, less intrusive way.

I'm with you on the LCD2C, I sold mine, they're marvellous headphones but like you, I found the recessed treble to be quite pronounced on the pair I had, although, I didn't experience the harshness you did.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,350 of 6,741
I can understand why some people might describe the Aeolus as muffled.

I think this is down to three things:

Amp pairing, familiarity with bright headphones and/or unfamiliar with a smooth and balanced presentation.

On my Pathos Aurium, the Aeolus can (at first listen) sound a little muffled, but that is because I've been listening to the LCD-X or my AKG buds. However, both of those headphones can become a tad fatiguing over longer session depending on gear/music genre etc. Whereas my Aeolus is never fatiguing and once my ears adjust to the different presentation (smooth, lush, rich) I end up lowering the volume a tad from where the dial might have been for my LCD-X.

It's not that I like the Aeolus more or less over the LCD-X, they do entirely different things and I enjoy both, equally. However, if I'm settling down for a long session, or not in the mood for detail-hunting, wanting to tap my foot and enjoy the music, I'm reaching for the Aeolus, every time. That isn't to say that they don't resolve to the same degree as the LCD-X, it's merely that the presentation is smoother, more coherent and balanced, a cohesive musical picture where I forget about the headphone entirely (and any initially perceived muffled character). If I switch over to the analytical nature of the LCD-X, yes, it sounds like a veil is lifted but with the slightly analytical sound of the Aurium, that can be a little too much 'analysis' over a session.

On my Naim DAC V1 the Aeolus loses some of that smoothness, the V1 is quite aggressive and a forward presentation, with lots of attack/drive etc. This pairing provides a harder-edged presentation, it's not at all unpleasant, but I prefer the lushness of the Pathos with the Aeolus. The way I have my rig set up currently when running the Aeolus I let the Naim run DAC duties > Aurium, but when listening to my LCD-X I use RME ADI-2 FS > Aurium.

I'd recommend the Aeolus without reservation. When you get used to the sound signature / presentation, they reveal their qualities and they genuinely are sublime. If I had to choose between the LCD-X and Aeolus (thankfully, I don't) and bearing in mind that I have loved the LCD-X for years, first hearing it in 2017, I'd pick the Aeolus - it's just the smoother, more versatile (cross-genre), more balanced and more natural sounding headphone and it doesn't sacrifice all that much to the LCD-X, it's not the same, sure, but what I love about the X is there in the Aeolus, to a lesser degree or just presented in a more coherent and musical, less intrusive way.

I'm with you on the LCD2C, I sold mine, they're marvellous headphones but like you, I found the recessed treble to be quite pronounced on the pair I had, although, I didn't experience the harshness you did.

Thank you for your words. If my mind wasn’t entirely made up, you’ve just helped me by a lot with your description.

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,351 of 6,741
For the benefit of others reading my previous post and scratching their head regarding my use of veiled when comparing the Aeolus to the LCD-X, I wanted to expand on that description using a single track, to further convey the differences in these two headphones and try to articulate what I mean, in a more comprehensive way. Please bear in mind that I am not a reviewer, writer, audio engineer or otherwise qualified to provide a professional assessment. I wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile, either.

My approach to equipment is simple; does it (equipment) bring me closer to the music? By closer to the music I mean; I forget about the equipment and become immersed in the experience. In many ways the LCD-X is a departure from this approach, it's immersive, sure, but in a very different way to the Aeolus. Depending on the equipment pairing with the LCD-X, it isn't necessarily musically immersive. Whereas, Aeolus always is, musically immersive (with my equipment).

Track: Michael Hedges – Aerial Boundaries ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_Boundaries | https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Hedges-Aerial-Boundaries/release/2823225 )

Track Rationale: I know this track intimately, I own it on CD and vinyl and have ripped to FLAC myself. I've listened to it on $500k systems, both valve and ss, on low and mid-fi systems for more than 20 years. Sure, it is a predictable audiophile-demo album, but I'm using it here merely because I know the album so well and have heard it reproduced by so many different systems.

Format: 16bit / 44.1kHz FLAC – personal rip via XLD and for comparison via Quboz with same bitrate (differences were negligible.)

Equipment: Macbook Pro (2015 / 8GB / i5 – only runs Roon and in priority mode) - Mac OS X | Roon > QED Reference USB > Naim DAC V1 > RCA Audio Note Lexus > Pathos Aurium

Equipment Notes:

The Naim DAC is quite aggressive and punchy, forward in presentation and has strong drive. It’s a SS beast, not at all polite or sweet, neither is it forgiving of bad recordings. Analytical leaning and not at all organic, a modicum of digital glare is evident. With very well produced music the aforementioned qualities lend to create a very impactful and powerful picture.

Equipment Images: https://imgur.com/a/6nhq8gY

Initial Considerations:

When listening with the LCD-X I’m hearing the Naim DAC but voiced by the LCD-X; the sound is punchy, very wide, slightly artificial (timbre of the guitar is a little off on this recording and the textual is somewhat digital, a tad glaring/etched – not at all liquid or sweet). I know this to be the Naim characteristics because I can switch out to my RME DAC, the difference through the X’s is distinct – I feel detail retrieval is slightly better with the Naim compared to the RME set to line-out with EQ etc., all switched off.

When listening to the Aeolus, they actually benefit from some of the aforementioned qualities and characteristics of the Naim. Although, I’m not hearing those characteristics as apparently as I do with the X. Switching DAC’s changes the sound considerably with the X, not so for the Aeolus, the change I hear with the X, I still hear with the Aeolus, just not as distinctly.

In other words, the Aeolus is not as picky about or sensitive to upstream gear (based solely on the gear I own). Having said that, there is a subtle difference feeding the Pathos Aurium with the Naim, when listening to the Aeolus – the musical picture is slightly tighter, slightly more impactful with greater drive and attack – bass is a little more extended and shaped and treble is a little cleaner. Arguably, mids are better via the RME, though, more velvety and a more liquid sound overall.

Track Dissection and Separation vs Musical Immersion:

LCD-X
The LCD-X / Naim pairing is a microscope on the music – listening to the above track I can hear right into the recording, the placement of instrument, mics, etc., feedback and distortion and perception of the size of the recording space, all the atmospheric data is presented. The Naim / LCD-X provides a very wide palette of sound-space, like a huge blackboard with chalk drawings across it. Each part of the picture on this blackboard is distinct and noticeable; I can see (hear) the pink swirl down in the bottom right corner, the green lines trailing off up to the right, I can smell and almost taste the chalk composition, fresh chalk remnants hanging the air. I can tell how hard the artist was pressing when drawing the lines, I can see the differing levels of chalk deposited on the blackboard.

All of the above is amazing, an enthralling aural hallucination – you can get lost in that for a time, seeing all the pretty colours on this huge blackboard.

The downside to this blackboard of chalk drawings is that it is not a cohesive whole, I don’t hear/see a completed artistic picture, I see all the lines and characteristics and qualities of those lines, chalk in the air, the wide blackboard – it’s pure dissection and separation from the Naim / LCD-X.

Specifically; the background feedback/mic distortion, spatial artefacts, atmospheric cues and other live-recording anomalies, while present should not (subjectively speaking) be front and center, with the LCD-X and Naim, they are. I can hear all of this background with the same emphasis and dominance as Michael Hedges strumming away. An analytical wet dream? Yes! Musically immersive? Heck no! Not by my definition of musical immersion. I generally don’t want dissection and artificial separation, that isn’t helping me enjoy a completed picture of the music. I want to stand a few feet back so I can take in the full drawing – whilst not entirely losing the lines (on the blackboard, stay with me!).

Aeolus
The Aeolus is an entirely different proposition compared to the LCD-X – Yes, I can hear those noted background elements with the Aeolus, the somewhat unpleasant feedback/distortion, the room placement and spatial artefacts, the live atmosphere, it’s there, but it’s where it should be, in the background, merely part of the picture. I’ve taken a couple of paces back and can now see the whole picture on the blackboard. Here, the Aeolus does benefit from all the information coming out of the Naim, but it’s not representing/voicing it like the LCD-X, the picture is cohesive and complete – balanced and yes, musically immersive. It’s not robbing completeness or cohesion through surgical dissection.

If I want to listen to Michael picking his nose during a recording, hearing that as clearly as his guitar playing, I reach for the Naim/LCD-X pairing. If I want to enjoy the music and not lose a bunch of detail along the way it’s got to be Naim/Aeolus. If I want to really play to Aeolus’ midrange strength I run them with my RME, but then I’m losing some drive, dissection/seperation, detail and extension (without EQ or correction that is.) compared to the Naim.

The Pathos Factor:

What does the Pathus Aurium add? For a tube amp (hybrid) it’s quite neutral leaning toward slightly analytical – it adds just a hair of sweetness to the top-end, just very slightly, compared to the Naim. It’s airier than the Naim and removes/improves some of the glare detectable from the Naim. It's overall more lush and rich sounding (compared to the Naim, not as an overall statement about the Pathos compared to other tube amps). In simple terms, it just helps the Naim sound less hard, a touch more sparkle and admittedly, a little less controlled and drive. The Naim, when used as a single DAC/headamp, is like a vice grip, which some people will love, no doubt.

Conclusion:

The Naim / LCD-X paring is wide, surgical and exciting, the Naim / Aeolus is musically immersive, cohesive and balanced. The RME / Aeolus is smooth and velvety, but a little laid back (with the Aurium). Neither headphone is right or wrong, just different voicing, placement and application. For pure musical enjoyment, in my set up, the Aeolus has it, without any question.

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,353 of 6,741
Baby Aeolus :laughing:

uc

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,354 of 6,741
Feb 29, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #2,355 of 6,741
Baby Aeolus :laughing:

uc

I own both headphones--and must say that after putting these larger Yaxi pads on the Porta Pros, they do sound somewhat like the Aeolus. The similarity is approximate & all in the frequency range: both headphones are not bright or edgy, have solid, non-recessed mids & are somewhat bassy. Then again, the Aeolus kicks the doors down w/ stronger dynamics, deeper/more impactful bass, greater volume (while still sounding great), more resolution & a larger/deeper soundstage--as it should.

I've used Porta Pros for my daily 5 mile walk for ~5 years, primarily listening to podcasts, occasionally to music. After putting on the Yaxi pads I listened to some choral music & thought, "Damn, these babies sound really good, better than usual." The difference is a little more bass level & depth, with almost zero change to the rest of FC range. As so many others have said, the Porta Pro is one of the great over-achieving designs in headphone audio...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back