ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,191 of 6,741
BTW, this "ZMF dynamics love tubes" thing extends to the Eikon, Verite Open, and Verite Closed, all of which I heard at length on my modest but very good sounding OTL (Woo WA3). I also heard the Eikon on the WA22 (another wow moment).

To me, the remarkable thing about these 300 ohm designs is how good they sound on low impedance sources, whether tube or SS. They don't require a GOTL or 300B monster tube amp to sound really good. But if you do go with an upscale tube amp, you'll definitely hear new things/nuances & get your money's worth.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #2,192 of 6,741
I wonder when the current batch of LTD Camphor Burl will start making their way to their owners. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the wood, I have to believe the images on ZMF's website hardly do it justice.

I just now got confirmation that my Camphor Burl Aeolus will be shipping out tomorrow. I just hope shipping is quick.

I'm having last-minute second thoughts on my pad selection; I went with the Universe Pads and the Suede Universe Perf Pads. I know that whatever pads I get will take me to infinity and beyond, but what I going for with my selection is the ability to tweak the sound from one end of the spectrum to the other. Now that I think of it, I should get a 3rd set of pads as to have 3 options: warm --- neutral --- bright. Thing is I don't really know which pad does what. I think the suede perforated are warmer but are the Univers Pads bright. I should get the Univers Aeolus Pads to get the ''real'' Aeolus sound as a base or neutral.

Any suggestions on warm, neutral and bright pad tweak?

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,193 of 6,741
Jan 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #2,194 of 6,741
I’m hoping the ZDT Jr drops again sometime in 2020. I’d like to pair it with the Aeolus eventually.
I've been trying to get my hands on that one also but I got tired of waiting on something that might never be and I went with the Darkvoice 336se. I know it's not a beloved amp in the community but as my first Tube amp, once I upgraded to a good set of tubes, I've honestly been enjoying it and it gave me confirmation that I like the tube amp sound. Also, it helps that I was graced with a unit that is pretty clean and hasn't shown signs of impending doom.

Jan 17, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2,195 of 6,741
Seems there is always a tube roll that will get you there, whether it be brighter or more tubish with most good tube amps. It just takes patience and often times lots of money. I would love to hear the Aeolus with the WA22, and some good NOS tubes.
Maybe some day in the future there will be a TX meetup...

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #2,196 of 6,741
Maybe some day in the future there will be a TX meetup...
I know there is one this weekend in Austin, but I won’t be able to make it. Sure wish I could though!

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #2,197 of 6,741
I just now got confirmation that my Camphor Burl Aeolus will be shipping out tomorrow. I just hope shipping is quick.

I'm having last-minute second thoughts on my pad selection; I went with the Universe Pads and the Suede Universe Perf Pads. I know that whatever pads I get will take me to infinity and beyond, but what I going for with my selection is the ability to tweak the sound from one end of the spectrum to the other. Now that I think of it, I should get a 3rd set of pads as to have 3 options: warm --- neutral --- bright. Thing is I don't really know which pad does what. I think the suede perforated are warmer but are the Univers Pads bright. I should get the Univers Aeolus Pads to get the ''real'' Aeolus sound as a base or neutral.

Any suggestions on warm, neutral and bright pad tweak?

Stock pads (not exactly sure what they're called): warmest/bassiest

Perforated suede universe: right in the middle...distinctly more neutral than stock & still w/some kick in the mid-bass, but overall, flatter and better technicalities than stock (this is my favorite pad by far)

Verite pad: the most neutral pad I've heard. I listened to my friend's Aeolus w/Verite pads for many weeks & loved the sound. Didn't think it could get any better...and then I heard the perforated suede Universe pads, and it did get better.

BTW, no pads can make the Aeolus truly "bright" -- it just doesn't want to go there. IMO what the 2 non-stock pads options I mention do is (to one degree or other) squeeze out some of the mid-bass emphasis present in this headphone; that, in turn, makes other parts of the frequency range "pop" a bit more. What is present w/all 3 pad sets I heard is the fundamental "fun factor," excellent soundstage, and juicy, impactful bass of the Aeolus.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #2,198 of 6,741
I decided to go with the Universe Perforated Lamb pads for now. I definitely plan on trying others, especially the Universe Suede Perforated, but would like to stick to a single pair while I get accustomed to the sound signature. I'll probably be ready to try the suede pads when the Texas summer rolls around...

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,199 of 6,741
Stock pads (not exactly sure what they're called): warmest/bassiest

Perforated suede universe: right in the middle...distinctly more neutral than stock & still w/some kick in the mid-bass, but overall, flatter and better technicalities than stock (this is my favorite pad by far)

Verite pad: the most neutral pad I've heard. I listened to my friend's Aeolus w/Verite pads for many weeks & loved the sound. Didn't think it could get any better...and then I heard the perforated suede Universe pads, and it did get better.

BTW, no pads can make the Aeolus truly "bright" -- it just doesn't want to go there. IMO what the 2 non-stock pads options I mention do is (to one degree or other) squeeze out some of the mid-bass emphasis present in this headphone; that, in turn, makes other parts of the frequency range "pop" a bit more. What is present w/all 3 pad sets I heard is the fundamental "fun factor," excellent soundstage, and juicy, impactful bass of the Aeolus.

That sound about right to me (my Aeolus he borrowed). Each pad has it's own flavor, all sound good to me although it seems the Verite pads aren't appreciated much.

I decided to go with the Universe Perforated Lamb pads for now. I definitely plan on trying others, especially the Universe Suede Perforated, but would like to stick to a single pair while I get accustomed to the sound signature. I'll probably be ready to try the suede pads when the Texas summer rolls around...

That'd be where I start...those pads have the best balance for my tastes. Good luck!

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,200 of 6,741
Perforated Lamb pads is where I am at and love it. Very fun and addicting sound for sure! Can't wait to see some pics of your LTD's.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #2,201 of 6,741
Can I join your club? :wink:

uc

view

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #2,203 of 6,741
Sharing a few pics of the ziricote love-fest happening right now between my Aeolus and Bottlehead Crack with a custom base I built. Having way too much fun tube rolling to do a proper photoshoot or build writeup right now :)
eH6JzTC.jpg

ScIxLyN.jpg
If this is half hearted, I'd LOVE to see a proper photoshoot....what are you a pro photographer or something?
(In other words...nice pics!!)

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #2,204 of 6,741
Jan 19, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #2,205 of 6,741
Sharing a few pics of the ziricote love-fest happening right now between my Aeolus and Bottlehead Crack with a custom base I built. Having way too much fun tube rolling to do a proper photoshoot or build writeup right now :)
eH6JzTC.jpg

ScIxLyN.jpg
Stunning man! That is the coolest looking BHC base I have ever seen. Nice tube combo, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back