ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,951 of 6,741
Nice! I almost went that route this time, but found a good deal on the Draug 3. I do plan to get a 2k, as well.

You have a seriously impressive cable collection, maybe you just need some color at this point :smile_phones:.

I have become a huge fan of the 2K cable. There was a purple 2K that I used when I visited ZMF in Chicago. I think I caught the purple fever when I was there, and there was only one cure.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,952 of 6,741
only one cure.

Mo’purple!

on another thread I was joking/not joking, commenting on how purple adds to the enjoyment of listening...similar to the way a well made old fashioned colors add to the enjoyment of the experience of imbibing it....you have to account for all the factors that contribute to the space/time =)

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,953 of 6,741
Speaking of upgrade cables, I had a rather disturbing experience last weekend at the NY Audio Show. Went to Ginko Audio's booth (they rep the Danacables "Lazuli" HP cable--which I have--+ 3 higher models). They had a Hifiman HE-1000 v1 set up with the next model above mine, the "Lazuli Reference." It was kind of an unfair listen, since I realized I don't really like this headphone, which is voiced in a manner not congenial to my ears.

Then he switched to Danacables TOTL cable, the astoundingly expensive (~$3,500!) "Nirvana" cable. I immediately heard the difference: the midrange became huge & way more musical/ear-friendly. The headphone was suddenly downright interesting. A major sonic bump.

(disturbing on multiple levels...I'm trying not to think about it)

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,954 of 6,741
disturbing on multiple levels...I'm trying not to think about it
It's hard to not think about it when you post about it. It's almost like you are trying to think about it...and how it would sound on your ZMFs....

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,955 of 6,741
Mo’purple!

on another thread I was joking/not joking, commenting on how purple adds to the enjoyment of listening...similar to the way a well made old fashioned colors add to the enjoyment of the experience of imbibing it....you have to account for all the factors that contribute to the space/time =)

Music is just sound right? Except that it’s enhanced by your other senses. That’s why there are light shows at live music events. It’s all part of increasing your enjoyment of the experience.

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,956 of 6,741
Speaking of upgrade cables, I had a rather disturbing experience last weekend at the NY Audio Show. Went to Ginko Audio's booth (they rep the Danacables "Lazuli" HP cable--which I have--+ 3 higher models). They had a Hifiman HE-1000 v1 set up with the next model above mine, the "Lazuli Reference." It was kind of an unfair listen, since I realized I don't really like this headphone, which is voiced in a manner not congenial to my ears.

Then he switched to Danacables TOTL cable, the astoundingly expensive (~$3,500!) "Nirvana" cable. I immediately heard the difference: the midrange became huge & way more musical/ear-friendly. The headphone was suddenly downright interesting. A major sonic bump.

(disturbing on multiple levels...I'm trying not to think about it)

Yeah the last thing I need is to determine a multi thousand dollar cable sounds better. That is disturbing.

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #1,957 of 6,741
It's hard to not think about it when you post about it. It's almost like you are trying to think about it...and how it would sound on your ZMFs....

Cables can change the frequency response - I have a custom hybrid cable that accentuated the subbass and treble of Atticus

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #1,958 of 6,741

I'm capable of not thinking in nearly every situation. Just ask my loved ones...

As for how the Nirvana cable would not sound on ZMF headphones--I can think about that all day long.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,959 of 6,741
I'm capable of not thinking in nearly every situation. Just ask my loved ones...

As for how the Nirvana cable would not sound on ZMF headphones--I can think about that all day long.

There is no Nirvana Cable made for ZMF - only for Audeze - (they share the same connector :p).

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,960 of 6,741
Mo’purple!

I'm just gonna call you DarthPurple from now on.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,962 of 6,741
Hey boys and girls, I'm getting ready to order my first ZMF headphone. My better half told me that she wanted to do something special to thank me for being such an incredibly awesome hubby in every aspect of our lives (might not be her exact words). She wants me to choose a high-end headphone, something special that I don't usually consider as within the reach of my wallet. ...Yes, I know, she is that fabulous and I appreciate the offer but she's my endgame.

So I've decided to go with the Aeolus LTD Blackwood. I've pretty much decided on the grill colour but I'm having a hard time finding pictures of any ZMF in Blackwood with copper grills, there wouldn't happen to be someone here with that combo on hand that could post a pic?

I've been seeing comments about a pad called the BE2 that supposedly sounds great on the Aeolus. It's not on the ZMF site but I read that you can ask for it, anyone know of this BE2 pad?

Thanks for the help, I've been an avid reader of Head-Fi and other audio forums but only now decided overcome a keyboard shyness and giveback for the wealth of knowledge I gained through the years

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #1,963 of 6,741
My better half told me that she wanted to do something special to thank me for being such an incredibly awesome hubby in every aspect of our lives (might not be her exact words).
Did she actually say "Fine, do whatever the ***k you want."?

When wives say that, they don't actually mean it.

Anyway... Zach has a Lookbook on his site. Check it out. :)

IMG_5911.jpg

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #1,965 of 6,741
Call me cheap and dumb. My personal limit on a cable is $100. Between cans, dacs and amps, I can't afford to get into the exotic cable game. Way too dangerous!

Don't worry, having a $100 limit on cables is neither cheap nor dumb. It's quite rational actually.

I'd buy a Verite before I spent anywhere near their price on a cable. I'm quite confident the sound difference between the Aeolus and Verite is larger than the Aeolus with a $100 and $2400 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back