ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 28, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #1,878 of 6,760
Hi,
Is the ZMF Aeolus suitable for listening to sympho or power metal (mainly for sound stage and mids) ?

I can't be the best person to answer this question since I don't listen to those genres of music, but in my opinion the soundstage and mids are excellent on the Aeolus. Much of my listening is live recordings and I have no complaints about the stage (width, depth, height, all good). The mids are also widely acknowledged as one of the strengths of the Aeolus. Of course, how you hear them will be influenced by the other headphones you are used to listening to. And your DAC/amp will naturally influence the sound too.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,879 of 6,760
Hi,
Is the ZMF Aeolus suitable for listening to sympho or power metal (mainly for sound stage and mids) ?

Same as the answer above that I do not listen to those genres, but I think if you are focused on mids and soundstage you are much better off going for the Auteur. Auteur has more in your face mids, and a much more expansive soundstage. On top of it you get more of a sub-bass slam rather than a mid-bass hump. Once again, don't listen to metal, but I imagine a more linear bass with more slam would be preferable?

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #1,881 of 6,760
Tube amps can get pricey pretty fast. I just spent over $700 on 2 output transformers and a choke for a 300B amp I'm building.
At that budget, for a decent amp I think the best option is DIY.
Either a Bottlehead Crack when it goes on sale soon, or one of the garage1217 projects.
If DIY is not a possibility, try and be patient and wait for a used ad for a Crack. (with caution that you're relying on the person that build it for the quality of that amp)

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #1,882 of 6,760
Tube amps can get pricey pretty fast. I just spent over $700 on 2 output transformers and a choke for a 300B amp I'm building.
At that budget, for a decent amp I think the best option is DIY.
Either a Bottlehead Crack when it goes on sale soon, or one of the garage1217 projects.
If DIY is not a possibility, try and be patient and wait for a used ad for a Crack. (with caution that you're relying on the person that build it for the quality of that amp)

Hmm, i'm visually impaired so it might be really hard to build an amp myself. What about amps like the little dot mk2 or vali? are these OTL? I don't know much about the technical details of tube amps. Did you choose not to recommend these because you don't think they'd do the aeolus justice?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #1,883 of 6,760
I didn’t recommend those simply because I dont have experience with them, they could be fine options. I’m sure others that tried them can chime in.
New options in that price range are a bit limited, used market will open up a few more possibilities

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,885 of 6,760
Hi,

I find the Aeolus pretty great for metal. See my post back at the beginning of the year in April: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-aeolus-impressions-thread.890441/page-67#post-14898836 There were a few others who agree. I also believe @Monsterzero and @Hansotek can chime in too. They've done some listening to the Aeolus with Metal; if I recall correctly.

Hello everyone! What OTL tube amps have you used and what do you like about it? Any recommendations for a budget tube amp? <$200

The cheapest OTL I know of, and more importantly can remember, is the Schiit Valhalla.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,886 of 6,760
To all of you who own or have owned both the Aeolus and Verite, do you feel that the Verite is a worthy step up from the Aeolus? I personally own the Aeolus and an HD800S, both of which I like a lot for their merits. I've been eyeing the Verite as a possible "endgame" can but am not sure if this would offer any advantages over sticking with the Aeolus and HD800S. I'd really appreciate any input here. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #1,887 of 6,760
To all of you who own or have owned both the Aeolus and Verite, do you feel that the Verite is a worthy step up from the Aeolus? I personally own the Aeolus and an HD800S, both of which I like a lot for their merits. I've been eyeing the Verite as a possible "endgame" can but am not sure if this would offer any advantages over sticking with the Aeolus and HD800S. I'd really appreciate any input here. Thanks!
That'd kind of what I'm wrestling with right now myself. I have the Verite (open & closed) on loan right now, but my Aeolus is actually on loan right now to @Pharmaboy . The Aeolus does so much right for me, but the Verite just has a little more of that hard to describe "engaging factor" that just doesn't fail to captivate me.I think if I was forced to stay with my Aeolus (poor me) I'd be perfectly happy, but I do think I like the Verite open better. Of course YMMV...it's always good to demo.

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,888 of 6,760
That'd kind of what I'm wrestling with right now myself. I have the Verite (open & closed) on loan right now, but my Aeolus is actually on loan right now to @Pharmaboy . The Aeolus does so much right for me, but the Verite just has a little more of that hard to describe "engaging factor" that just doesn't fail to captivate me.I think if I was forced to stay with my Aeolus (poor me) I'd be perfectly happy, but I do think I like the Verite open better. Of course YMMV...it's always good to demo.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I feel that a demo would be the most informative. I actually reached out to Zach and asked him if I could possibly visit ZMF when I head to Chicago around the holidays. He was very kind and said I was welcome to audition the Verite at his establishment. Are there types of music that you find sound better on one vs the other? I listen mostly to jazz and classical, sometimes pop/rock.

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #1,889 of 6,760
I find the Aeolus pretty great for metal. See my post back at the beginning of the year in April: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-aeolus-impressions-thread.890441/page-67#post-14898836 There were a few others who agree. I also believe @Monsterzero and @Hansotek can chime in too. They've done some listening to the Aeolus with Metal; if I recall correctly.

Yeah, depending on what sound you're going for. I like the suede pads for a faster, more neutral presentation. The stock pads are better if you want something more chunky and impactful. Definitely a best-of-both worlds thing to get two totally different options.

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,890 of 6,760
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I feel that a demo would be the most informative. I actually reached out to Zach and asked him if I could possibly visit ZMF when I head to Chicago around the holidays. He was very kind and said I was welcome to audition the Verite at his establishment. Are there types of music that you find sound better on one vs the other? I listen mostly to jazz and classical, sometimes pop/rock.

Be sure to try the Veriete Closed, as well. If you're looking to replace all of them, I actually think Verite-C is the best "desert island" headphone of the bunch. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back