ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 19, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #1,607 of 6,737
A fellow Jotunheim user :)

Out of interest, are you running them on high or low gain, and if so balanced or single ended? I found I had to turn them past 2 o clock on low gain balanced to get close to where I wanted, so I've been giving high gain a try. Not sure if it's because I've had a dose of the flu the past weekend that's been playing havoc on my ears, but I've noticed the headphones seem brighter in the highs since I've made the switch and I'm quite treble sensitive.

Need to so more testing, but wondering how you're doing it?
Hi Costy, I'm running them on high gain and with balanced cable, I think balanced gives an improvement to the sound over single ended, plus I think high gain gives a slightly fuller sound, but only by small amounts. As for them being brighter on high gain, again by a small amount, but that could be down to me being less sensitive to high fr, plus the music/recordings you listen to, and the rest of your system, can have an affect, plus also, it might take a little while to get used to high gain if you haven't used it before, it may sound like stating the obvious but have you tried just turning the volume down a bit, I find, depending on the recording that once I get past a certain volume, on a given recording it can then get harsh, but just that that slight turn down is sometimes all that is needed, and yes having flu, I'm sure will mess with you hearing too.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,608 of 6,737
I am yet to see one that Zach did not do a great job with... :wink:
The guy is an artist!
This is a true statement lol, I’m a big fan of his work, to the point that I already ordered the Blackwood Aeolus with copper, before I’ve even bothered potentially listing the Ziricote Aeolus :wink:

I will also be doing something cool with the Verite C when it comes available to order.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,609 of 6,737
This is a true statement lol, I’m a big fan of his work, to the point that I already ordered the Blackwood Aeolus with copper, before I’ve even bothered potentially listing the Ziricote Aeolus :wink:

I will also be doing something cool with the Verite C when it comes available to order.

I was going back n forth between blackwood with copper or brass! tough one. We can exchange photos =)

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,611 of 6,737

I was going back n forth between blackwood with copper or brass! tough one. We can exchange photos =)

I am waiting for my Ziricote with black... Good times... :L3000:

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #1,612 of 6,737

Go with the copper. I did. :)

It's going to look better and better as it gets a patina.

(autocorrect helping me by changing it to petunia... . If your headphones get petunias, you may have a problem)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #1,613 of 6,737
Go with the copper. I did. :)

It's going to look better and better as it gets a patina.

(autocorrect helping me by changing it to petunia... . If your headphones get petunias, you may have a problem)
Blackwood Copper brotha!!! I'm super stoked to get this combo! Huge fan of copper, and the blackwood looks amazing in the product pictures...can't wait to have it in hand =)

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #1,616 of 6,737
Blackwood Copper brotha!!! I'm super stoked to get this combo! Huge fan of copper, and the blackwood looks amazing in the product pictures...can't wait to have it in hand =)
That combination would have been my 2nd choice after Ziricote & Black. Both look amazing!!!

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #1,617 of 6,737
That combination would have been my 2nd choice after Ziricote & Black. Both look amazing!!!

It's true. There is no wrong choice.

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,618 of 6,737
A fellow Jotunheim user :)

Out of interest, are you running them on high or low gain, and if so balanced or single ended? I found I had to turn them past 2 o clock on low gain balanced to get close to where I wanted, so I've been giving high gain a try. Not sure if it's because I've had a dose of the flu the past weekend that's been playing havoc on my ears, but I've noticed the headphones seem brighter in the highs since I've made the switch and I'm quite treble sensitive.

Need to so more testing, but wondering how you're doing it?

Hi Costy, I'm running them on high gain and with balanced cable, I think balanced gives an improvement to the sound over single ended, plus I think high gain gives a slightly fuller sound, but only by small amounts. As for them being brighter on high gain, again by a small amount, but that could be down to me being less sensitive to high fr, plus the music/recordings you listen to, and the rest of your system, can have an affect, plus also, it might take a little while to get used to high gain if you haven't used it before, it may sound like stating the obvious but have you tried just turning the volume down a bit, I find, depending on the recording that once I get past a certain volume, on a given recording it can then get harsh, but just that that slight turn down is sometimes all that is needed, and yes having flu, I'm sure will mess with you hearing too.

I too, run my Aeolus out of my Jot balanced on high gain and the Jot is feed by a Gungnir D/S via balanced out. I usually don't have to turn the volume past 9:00, to get the Aeolus nice and authoritative. And they are not bright to me at all, but I'm not treble sensitive though.

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,619 of 6,737
I too, run my Aeolus out of my Jot balanced on high gain and the Jot is feed by a Gungnir D/S via balanced out. I usually don't have to turn the volume past 9:00, to get the Aeolus nice and authoritative. And they are not bright to me at all, but I'm not treble sensitive though.
The Jot really is a killer amp for the money! I use mine at work now, with my ZMF Classic headphones and Modi Multibit, and that combo is awesome. I think the Jot's slightly bright tilt, really works well with the ZMF warmth.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,620 of 6,737
Thanks for the info folks. High gain definitely the way to go then, just need to do some adjustments when my ears are back to normal. Using as many decongestants as I can at the moment :D

I need to invest in some good IEMs for work, I work in a co-working space so I can't use anything open-back. Currently use my B&O H6 portables when I want to listen to stuff, but I've been eyeing the Fiio FH7s and I have my Fulla 2 waiting for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back