ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,636 of 6,743
At 53,if I havent acquired a taste for whiskey yet,its not gonna happen. I just cant get it into whiskey. I do love a great cigar,but my wife made me quit two years ago.
These days my vices are chips and guac,washed down with a BeerLao dark...an excellent rice based beer from Laos,which I discovered while living in SE Asia.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,637 of 6,743
At 53,if I havent acquired a taste for whiskey yet,its not gonna happen. I just cant get it into whiskey. I do love a great cigar,but my wife made me quit two years ago.
These days my vices are chips and guac,washed down with a BeerLao dark...an excellent rice based beer from Laos,which I discovered while living in SE Asia.
Sorry buddy, but I totally agree with your wife on the cigars...
Will have to try the BeerLao dark.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,638 of 6,743
Here's an older picture of my Scotch and Irish Whiskey collection. If I had to choose just one, it would Bushmills 21 year, the notes that hit you is pepper/spice and a very smooth dry fruit finish. As for Scotch, I preferred ones from the Islay region. Ardbeg 10 year is great for the price as in my State prices have skyrocketed. I've had Macallan 25 year neat for my Wife and I's anniversary and for the price of one glass I wasn't impressed. 2nd glass was Oban 18 year and was much more enjoyable, the saddest part, one snifter of Macallan 25 was double or more than an entire bottle of Oban 18.

I never really had a taste for Macallan. I tried two or three different ones and it just did not do it for me. Same with Glenlivet. Now a days, I stay with Islays mostly, Johnny Walker, Monkey Sholuder or I try some Japanese Scotches now and then.

Booo, giving up cigars! I'm not sure that is something I could do. The relaxation I get from sitting down and lighting up a cigar keeps me from being an ahole. So, I give you props for doing so.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,639 of 6,743
Booo, giving up cigars! I'm not sure that is something I could do. The relaxation I get from sitting down and lighting up a cigar keeps me from being an ahole. So, I give you props for doing so.

Wasnt easy,trust me. I miss them def,but I know it was awful for my health and my bank account too.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,641 of 6,743
Here's an older picture of my Scotch and Irish Whiskey collection. If I had to choose just one, it would Bushmills 21 year, the notes that hit you is pepper/spice and a very smooth dry fruit finish. As for Scotch, I preferred ones from the Islay region. Ardbeg 10 year is great for the price as in my State prices have skyrocketed. I've had Macallan 25 year neat for my Wife and I's anniversary and for the price of one glass I wasn't impressed. 2nd glass was Oban 18 year and was much more enjoyable, the saddest part, one snifter of Macallan 25 was double or more than an entire bottle of Oban 18.

That is a primo collection right there, my friend. Respect.

Over on the Irish side, that Red Breast is some seriously easy drinking whiskey, too!

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,642 of 6,743
Not sure if anyone here is into the Black Keys, but I jammed their newest album on the Aeolus and GOTL last night, and it was like those 3 things were made for each other. Ridiculous synergy from every direction!!

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,643 of 6,743

Am mostly into Irish whiskey now... If you guyz want to try some good ones:
Bushmills 16 is great for the money
Powers John's Lane 12 too
Kilbeggan 21 is much cheaper than equivalent 21 year old scotch
Anything Redbreast is easy to drink too

Stocking right now before prices skyrockets like Japanese whisky :wink:

Kelvin

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,644 of 6,743
Stocking right now before prices skyrockets like Japanese whisky

My buddy swears by Yamazaki. Any good? He says that a few years ago he was the only person in his area buying it,and now he cant find it anywhere,and when he does,its 4x the price it used to be.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #1,645 of 6,743
My buddy swears by Yamazaki. Any good? He says that a few years ago he was the only person in his area buying it,and now he cant find it anywhere,and when he does,its 4x the price it used to be.

Had the Yamazaki 12 when I was stationed in Japan. By far my favorite. Yamazaki 18 was a hard one to find plus it was out my paygrade at the time when I did find it lol

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,646 of 6,743

Hi,
Yamazaki is winning a lot of awards - most prestigious ones like World Whisky Award Best Whisky and Best whisky in Jim Murray's whisky bible...
I tried the 12 years old and the 18 years old once (@ Benihana restaurant) and to be honest, wasn't really that impressed for the price of the glass. Just me, might suit you better.

For my hard earned money, I'd buy a bottle of Japanese HAKUSHU 12 Years old (great balance of smoky and salty) and to be honest, I'm not really into smoky but this one is really good.
Other ones to try and not that expensive are Nikka Coffey Grain and Nikka from the Barrel

Suntory, owns Yamazaki, Hakushu and Hibiki.

Kelvin

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #1,647 of 6,743
Concur with whiskey, tubes, and ZMF cans! I’m mostly on a bourbon and rye kick lately...and dare I say....I’ve been on a sipping rum kick also (currently have three from different locales)...I have a decent collection of Scotch as well.

Something about sipping booze while relaxing to some good audio chains! Great way to end a long day or cruise through a weekend.

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #1,648 of 6,743
Concur with whiskey, tubes, and ZMF cans! I’m mostly on a bourbon and rye kick lately...and dare I say....I’ve been on a sipping rum kick also (currently have three from different locales)...I have a decent collection of Scotch as well.

Something about sipping booze while relaxing to some good audio chains! Great way to end a long day or cruise through a weekend.

For those that are not into whiskey can try rum indeed :)
I like Zacapa and Diplomatico

Kelvin

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #1,650 of 6,743
Since we're off-topic anyhow, unless the topic is booze:
I find the Drambuie to have a really good synergy with tube warmth! :yum: One of my all-time favorites...

Off to pour some Drambuie.....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back