ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #826 of 6,760
Waiting on the Aeolus, but just received the cable (came with the leather bag too)...
8xzvdEh.jpg

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #827 of 6,760
Waiting on the Aeolus, but just received the cable (came with the leather bag too)...
8xzvdEh.jpg
Wow! I think I am getting this cable for my Aeolus, as well. Beautiful! Thanks for the pic!

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #829 of 6,760
Just released our batch of Limited Bubinga Aeolus' today - we are working on the first batch and the wood just comes alive when Varnished. It's really fun making these headphones come to life. Check them out on our website: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals

_DSC2162-2.JPG _DSC2173-2.JPG

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 22, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #830 of 6,760
Stunning Zach! You are one busy guy, coming out with the limited, already. I can't wait to get my stock Aeolus.

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #831 of 6,760
Agreed - those ARE stunning!!
@zach915m how does this wood change the sound (in your opinion) compared to the other woods or is it (as far as YOU can hear) identical (just visually different)?

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #833 of 6,760
IMG-20190322-WA0008.jpg

My good friend's set and he let me demo it for the night. From listening to some test tracks from Jazz, Bop, Electronica, etc it sounded amazing!! For my ears, its like an aggressive HD650, details were all there, rounded, punchy and drilled to my brain. Good thing is its never sibilant and never harsh. Loved it and highly recommend.

The Bass!!! Goodness me the Bass!!! What a Headphone!! Zach did it again

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #834 of 6,760
While I pretty much only heard positive impressions about the Aeolus, some people said it is quite a forward and energetic sounding headphone and perhaps not the best for long term easy-listening. Is that correct?
While I liked the Clear I didn't keep it as the sound was too much for me after half an hour, almost aggressive. I wouldn't want this to be the case with the Aeolus.
I really like the spaciousness and natural/lifelike tone of the HEXV2, but with rock/EDM I prefer the excitement and punch of the LCD2C even though it sounds less natural and less spacious. For every other genre however I prefer the HEXV2's smooth and grandiose sound.
At the moment I wish I could somehow combine the LCD2C and the HEXV2 to have a spacious natural sound with a bit of excitement energy and bass slam.
I can hopefully audition the Aeolus soon but all thoughts welcome.
Or perhaps I should go Auteur way?

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #835 of 6,760
I personally have zero issues with Aeolus for long listening, but as always YMMV. I haven't hear the Aeolus paired with any Chord products, so that could be a factor I think.

The Focal house sound is indeed more energetic (I only have history with the Elear) and I did find it fatiguing no matter the mods I tried. I definitely find Aeolus more spacious sounding than Elear, though the Focal is the more 'open' headphone.

The Auteur is more neatral-ish I think...very incisive mids (a bit too much for my taste but quite well done)...still has the slam when called for but keeps out of the way otherwise.

I hope you get a demo in soon!

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #836 of 6,760
I personally have zero issues with Aeolus for long listening, but as always YMMV. I haven't hear the Aeolus paired with any Chord products, so that could be a factor I think.

The Focal house sound is indeed more energetic (I only have history with the Elear) and I did find it fatiguing no matter the mods I tried. I definitely find Aeolus more spacious sounding than Elear, though the Focal is the more 'open' headphone.

The Auteur is more neatral-ish I think...very incisive mids (a bit too much for my taste but quite well done)...still has the slam when called for but keeps out of the way otherwise.

I hope you get a demo in soon!

How's your new blue baby pairing up with the Aeolus??? :smile_cat:

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #838 of 6,760
Short feedback regarding my experience:

Tried 4 different ZMF (Aeolus, Verite, Eikon, Auteur) back-back with a few different amps and DACs. Also tried a few ZMF headphones on other setups "here and there" so to say and borrowed an Auteur for a week. Aeolus definitely shares the ZMF house sound with the others. Definitely not an "only" headphone if you want neutral sound.

Aeolus - Just regarding technicalities - a little more bass and sub-bass than Auteur but the mids and highs were not as clear. Something in the upper bass and to a slight degree the whole sound just wasn't cohesive to me with all of the different equipment I tried it on. Not as fast or accurate as Auteur in mids and highs either, but only slightly behind. In short, technicalities not as strong as Autuer but still better than most other stuff in ~$1k range. (and unsurprisingly, Auteur is ~$1500).

With that being said, I would personally buy the Aeolus of the 4 I tried just based purely on personal like/dislike. It's the most fun in the entire ZMF line up to me and despite the above possibly sounding like complaints, in reality very few/no real shortcomings or weaknesses. However, it is "similar enough" to stuff I already own and I don't want to deal with buy/sell gear to "make space" for Aeolus. If the other stuff I owned had better technicalities and was more neutral, I'd buy the Aeolus pretty quickly (I really only want 1 headphone that's better at technicalities now).

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #839 of 6,760
Short feedback regarding my experience:

Tried 4 different ZMF (Aeolus, Verite, Eikon, Auteur) back-back with a few different amps and DACs. Also tried a few ZMF headphones on other setups "here and there" so to say and borrowed an Auteur for a week. Aeolus definitely shares the ZMF house sound with the others. Definitely not an "only" headphone if you want neutral sound.

Aeolus - Just regarding technicalities - a little more bass and sub-bass than Auteur but the mids and highs were not as clear. Something in the upper bass and to a slight degree the whole sound just wasn't cohesive to me with all of the different equipment I tried it on. Not as fast or accurate as Auteur in mids and highs either, but only slightly behind. In short, technicalities not as strong as Autuer but still better than most other stuff in ~$1k range. (and unsurprisingly, Auteur is ~$1500).

With that being said, I would personally buy the Aeolus of the 4 I tried just based purely on personal like/dislike. It's the most fun in the entire ZMF line up to me and despite the above possibly sounding like complaints, in reality very few/no real shortcomings or weaknesses. However, it is "similar enough" to stuff I already own and I don't want to deal with buy/sell gear to "make space" for Aeolus. If the other stuff I owned had better technicalities and was more neutral, I'd buy the Aeolus pretty quickly (I really only want 1 headphone that's better at technicalities now).
Thanks for the impressions.
What other headphones do you own and referring to?

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #840 of 6,760
Thanks for the impressions.
What other headphones do you own and referring to?

Current headphones (not all inclusive): LCD3, HD650, Ether Flow 1.1 open, Focal Clear, HFM HE4xx, UERR, UERM, UE5.

Above were picked based on personal preference. To better frame my point of reference, I picked the above after trying some of the below that others may also be shopping for when considering ZMF (this list is not meant to be all inclusive, just framing my point of reference):

Have tried most other Audeze headphones - Ex pretty noticeable jump from LCD2 to LCD3, worth the extra $. Jump from LCD3 to LCD4 not necessarily worth it to me. Then there's stuff like LCDX etc that I didn't like.
HD600 (will buy, but very far down on my priorities in life), 800 or 800s (great in a few aspects, but hard for me to listen to these for a long time, probably won't by unless it's pristine and <$700), HD700 (very ehhh to me), 660 (prefer 650/600/6xx), etc
Currently trying to sell my Aeon Flow Closed (similar enough to E1.1, but I prefer open headphones). Have also tried Ether2, didn't fit my head so can't say anything here.
Utopia (same story as HD800, great in a few aspects, but hard for me to listen to these for a long time) + Elear (preferred Clear, Elear has an odd "fuzziness" to it IMO)
Abyss Phi - didn't fit my head well, so no comment
Several HFM - long story I don't want to go over now
Stax - have tried some Stax gear (LR300, LR700, SR007 (various versions), SR009) - either had a weird sound signature to me or had a more agreeable sound signature but missing other technicalities or "fun".
A lot of fun out of production stuff I like and would compare against ZMF, but not enough that I want to go hunting for it hence not listed.
Only a few brands of CIEM - I liked a few from campfire audio but they didn't fit my ears. JHA may have "crazier ideas" but I personally prefer the sound of UE. Have also tried 64 audio, unique melody, a few others, if I bought 1 more it'd be the Singapore exclusive UM (forget model name right now).

Have also tried or own various "mid-fi" stuff in the $200-500 range (this is not a knock on the gear) but excluded as these obviously aren't going to compare with the above in terms of technicalities and in my limited experience most don't cross shop ZMF with this gear.

To clarify, I put "similar enough" above in quotes because while Aeolus doesn't have the same sound signature as any of my current gear, it has a lot of similar strength and weakness or conveys a same "feel" to me (yes, however stupid that may sound).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back