ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #496 of 6,743
I ordered mine on 30 Nov, standard sapele wood. They have not arrived yet, I was given an estimate of late January.
Please check the spreadsheet.....info was emailed to you in order to check the status. You can see EXACTLY where your headphones are in the queue.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Bern

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #497 of 6,743
Mine came in :) Loving the wood grain on this pair.

Coming from the trusty HD600.
Stack: Audiolabs M-DAC > SPL 2-Control > Bottlehead Crack

I also have a Sansui G-5700, which I'm trying out due to Monster's glowing recommendations towards vintage receivers. It does sound great.

Aeolus 1.jpg
Aeolus 2.jpg

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #498 of 6,743
I also have a Sansui G-5700, which I'm trying out due to Monster's glowing recommendations towards vintage receivers. It does sound great.

Glad I could help. I get crap from other members for recommending vintage receivers as a low cost,yet great way to drive ZMF and other high ohm and planar headphones,but hearing is believing.
Im planning on doing a vintage receiver video on my YouTube channel soon. My inbox is flooded with questions about specific receivers,etc,so hopefully my video will answer most of those inquiries.

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #499 of 6,743
Ok I will not post anything more. Please don't report me. I am not troll, i am here 6 years! Thanks.

For the sake of the enthusiasm for this headphone and the high opinion I have of followers on this thread, I hope these ban threats aren't true so as long as the requests are in the spirit of learning and the hobby and in no means devious. As an engineer, I can completely understand the interest in driver specifications.

Looking forward to more impressions. The Verite is getting lots of attention but I'm very much hoping these are an unsung hero.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #500 of 6,743
How do these compare against Z1R. I know Z1R is closed back and this is open however Z1R has good soundstage for being closed and are also relaxed and little warm sounding.
With all the comments I can make out it seems it will compliment Hd800s as one is little bright and has huge sound stage and other being warm with more intimate listening experience but I guess the second experience is what I get with z1R as well. So was wondering if Aeolus is similar to Z1R

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #501 of 6,743
Please check the spreadsheet.....info was emailed to you in order to check the status. You can see EXACTLY where your headphones are in the queue.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Bern
I ordered through a local dealer, which means that I did not get any email or access to any spreadsheet. All the logistics are handled by the dealer, who was only able to give me rough estimates of arrival dates. I tagged Zach once on this thread asking if I could get hold of this information but did not get an answer, so I left it at that, I figured he was busy. Really perplexed as to why you would react in such a condescending manner when I was replying to a fellow user who ordered from the same dealer. Take your rudeness elsewhere.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #502 of 6,743
I ordered through a local dealer, which means that I did not get any email or access to any spreadsheet. All the logistics are handled by the dealer, who was only able to give me rough estimates of arrival dates. I tagged Zach once on this thread asking if I could get hold of this information but did not get an answer, so I left it at that, I figured he was busy. Really perplexed as to why you would react in such a condescending manner when I was replying to a fellow user who ordered from the same dealer. Take your rudeness elsewhere.
I even said "Please". That's not rude.
Maybe a personal email would help. Posting in this thread is one way for your message to get lost.
I apologize for the way my response came off.

Bern

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #503 of 6,743
Mine came in :) Loving the wood grain on this pair.

Coming from the trusty HD600.
Stack: Audiolabs M-DAC > SPL 2-Control > Bottlehead Crack

Gotta say looking at those pictures made me even more excited!

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #504 of 6,743
I even said "Please". That's not rude.
Maybe a personal email would help. Posting in this thread is one way for your message to get lost.
I apologize for the way my response came off.

Bern
The last line in your previous response was condescending, as well as caps on "exactly", and I took it exactly how I saw it.

I did not personally email Zach because I did not see it as a huge issue that I needed to know immediately, I asked in the thread out of curiosity. I trust my dealer that they will let me know as soon as my aeolus is ready to be picked up. The context was that another user who ordered from the same dealer asked me about my shipment, so I gave a straight answer based on the estimate given by my dealer. There was no intent to lament about not having my headphones yet or complain about a lack of information. I have the "it'll arrive when it arrives" mentality, although sooner is better.

Would I like to know exactly when I can pick them up? Sure, who doesn't want a date to look forward to? But it's a small enough issue that I don't see the need to email Zach, and I expect that my order will be shipped together in a batch with other aeolus headphones ordered from the same dealer anyway.

Apology accepted. Let's get back to enjoying music.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #505 of 6,743
Those are stunning! Love the grain of that wood!

Yes they are! ZMF makes some gorgeous headphones, that's for sure!

I think theyre a warm headphone. I share my thoughts on tubes and amping them here.

I got my La Figaro back from the repair shop yesterday and have been listening to the Aeolus through it. It is definitely a better match for the Aeolus over my Jot.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #506 of 6,743
Zeppelin and Co's order should go out within the next week for any orders through them!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 16, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #507 of 6,743
Zeppelin and Co's order should go out within the next week for any orders through them!

Thats good to know! I just made my order yesterday through them, was told it will be earliest at the end of this month, or early next month. Can't wait :)

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #508 of 6,743
Got to listen to the Aeolus today. The headphones are very light compared to my Auteur Teaks. Gorgeous wood.

Few impressions:
- Warm and forgiving. It presents you with a very sultry sound to even badly recorded tracks. Almost as smooth HD650.
- As mentioned before - it has a mid bass hump along the lines of a HD650. It reaches lower than the HD650 and treble is further extended. The HD650 is still king when transitioning from lower octaves to higher octaves but the Aeolus is right behind it biting at it's heels.
- If the HD650 has a slight veil then this headphone is removed by a few degrees. To my ears it sounds clearer.
- It pairs extremely well with the Liquid Platinum and the MCTH Amp. Both amps had me tapping my toes and both provided a much faster pace than my OTL. Throw in a brighter tube and it really compliments this headphone. I used a pair of Tungsram PCC88s.
- I have a feeling this also pairing nicely with solid state amps that are brighter (pre-revision Jotunheim) or neutral (Massdrop THX-AAA 789).
- The combination with my OTL sounded too thick but I didn't spend time finding a working combination. Spent it foot tapping with the other two amps.
- Auteurs are technically superior. It felt clearer, had better attack to snares, cymbals, sub bass extension and better imaging. Much more holographic than the Aeolus.
- On the other hand the Aeolus just seems to play nicely with all types of amps and equipment and is cheaper to boot. Almost won out in the mids department.

You're really purchasing a fantastic headphone for the price. I really couldn't ask for more at the $1000 range.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #509 of 6,743
Listening to Aeolus out of ZMF Pendant and would appreciate any tube recommendations.

It sounds really nice with the stock JJ tubes, I can only imagine that it will improve with some tube rolling and I'm a novice at tube amps.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #510 of 6,743
This is a headphone website to discuss impressions, specs, and so forth.

I asked how thick the diaphragm is, the surround, the magnetic flux if it was over 1 Tesla, voice coil dimensions so I can compare to other transducers designs.
None was ever answered.

I don't get why you don't want to know this too.

When I buy a sports car, I like to know All the specs and information.

All this has been asked on Focal threads, Sennheiser, Beyerdynami np in getting answers

Focal lists all these specs. This is apple vs apple comparison. TOTL vs TOTL

Mobile assembly 135g. I think 20 microns Be . 80microns rubber surround. Made in France. Focal answered my questions np.

NO MAS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back