ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #31 of 6,734
While the idea of an “open Atticus” is very appealing, I’m looking forward to impressions of this headphone versus the Auteur (which I already own). That is, if they’re similar or vastly different and, if the latter, how they differ.

Sure they are tuned differently but very intrigued by the presentation each has in terms of soundstage, bass response, detail retrieval, and warmth.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #32 of 6,734
While the idea of an “open Atticus” is very appealing, I’m looking forward to impressions of this headphone versus the Auteur (which I already own). That is, if they’re similar or vastly different and, if the latter, how they differ.

Sure they are tuned differently but very intrigued by the presentation each has in terms of soundstage, bass response, detail retrieval, and warmth.
I reckon they’ll be notably different to Auteur purely because of the driver differences, in the same way the Eikon is different to the Atticus. Biodyna has a very special quality to it.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #33 of 6,734
Would be very interested in some sort of combo discount for this with the Verite. Was there anything like that when the Atticus and Eikon came out?

Yes there was. Most likely Zach will also have an additional discount on-top of the pre-order price if you buy both.

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #34 of 6,734
Judging by how much I liked the Atticus, this guy looks to be great.

My favorite ZMF before the Aeolus was the Atticus so I did a short A/B testing against each other.

Quantity of bass is significantly more prevalent on the Atticus and should still be considered the most V-shaped ZMF.
The Aeolus seems to tighten up the bass and give a good amout of attention to the mids with rich detail. Vocals definitely sound better on the Aeolus.

Overall, I like the Aeolus better, but it’s pretty different from each other and there’s a high chance I might end up missing the bassier Atticus.

Just discovered this thread, and since I spent some time at Zach's table, I will try to respond to some of the previous posts...
Alan - my previous favorite was the Atticus, but personally I am not a huge fan of the Aeolus. I strongly prefer the Verite.
TK - to my ears, they sounded very different from the Atticus, and I did not like them better...

We all know this hobby is VERY subjective, and I do realize that unfortunately not everyone would have an opportunity to audition before making a buying decision.

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #35 of 6,734
I listened to Aeolus and Verite prototypes today at RMAF. I had no idea what price point each of them was. I put away Verite pretty quickly because I did not like them and listened to Aeolus for quite a while
Too funny - exactly the same thing happened to me, only I put down the Aeolus quickly in favor of the Verite. I was not as lucky as you in falling for the cheaper one, though... :angry:

I also listened to Focal Utopia today and understood why the reviewers call them the best headphones on the planet
Tommy - obviously, our tastes are different. I could never understand what all the Utopia hype is about... Out of the 3 Focals (Elear, Clear, Utopia) - I only like the Clear.
I wonder if there is any correlation, such as "people who like Utopia - would prefer Aeolus, while people who like Clear would prefer Verite"... :thinking:

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #36 of 6,734
This is extremely tempting and I bet it sounds awesome but I think I'll keep my cocobolo Atticus. I don't mind the closed aspect of the Atticus, and I feel like it is truly a headphone lover's headphone. So many headphones try to be speakers for your ears, but I feel like the way that Atticus is tuned it leans into the fact that it is a headphone. Atticus has unique sound signature and a listening experience that you can't reproduce with speakers. I bet opening the enclosure up makes a difference in terms of soundstaging and separation, but I don't reach for the Atticus when I'm in the mood for soundstage, I reach for the Atticus when I'm in the mood for an intimate, dream-like listening experience.
100% in agreement with you. I also own a pair of Cocobolo Atticus, and would never sell them. Their sound is very unique and very pleasing. Feels like Zach has tunes the Atticus to perfectly fit my personal taste!! :)
Both new open-backs are very very different. Absolutely NOT a replacement or "upgrade" to the Atticus.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #37 of 6,734
100% in agreement with you. I also own a pair of Cocobolo Atticus, and would never sell them. Their sound is very unique and very pleasing. Feels like Zach has tunes the Atticus to perfectly fit my personal taste!! :)
Both new open-backs are very very different. Absolutely NOT a replacement or "upgrade" to the Atticus.
Decision..decisions....does the Atticus handle EQ in the sub bass dept? 20-40 hz. Tell me what you found to be vastly different between the Atticus and Aeolus.

Bern

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #38 of 6,734
Will be getting the Aeolus to some reviewers and such shortly to get more impressions. Generally speaking, if you like the Atticus but want something open with more extension on both ends, forward mids, and less hump in the bass you will like Aeolus. If you love that SUPER punch the Atticus has with the subdued treble and slightly more forward nature of a closed headphone you may like atticus more. They both are meant to be complimentary with similar timbre, not one to replace the other. We will be running a special to buy both at the same time when pre-order starts at 8am EST Nov 16th when ordering opens.

Finally got a couple *final* proto's together that will be going out later this week after some burn. Working on the info pages which will also be up later this week.

_DSC0936-2.jpg _DSC0945-2.jpg _DSC0951-2.jpg _DSC0960-2.jpg _DSC0965-2.jpg

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 15, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #39 of 6,734
Will be getting the Aeolus to some reviewers and such shortly to get more impressions. Generally speaking, if you like the Atticus but want something open with more extension on both ends, forward mids, and less hump in the bass you will like Aeolus. If you love that SUPER punch the Atticus has with the subdued treble and slightly more forward nature of a closed headphone you may like atticus more. They both are meant to be complimentary with similar timbre, not one to replace the other. We will be running a special to buy both at the same time when pre-order starts at 8am EST Nov 16th when ordering opens.

Finally got a couple *final* proto's together that will be going out later this week after some burn. Working on the info pages which will also be up later this week.

Damn I really liked that pre prod grill you had

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 6,734
I like the grill in the photo Zach just linked. The preproduction one was kind of fancy and all, but seemed a little rough in spots.

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #42 of 6,734
Damn I really liked that pre prod grill you had

Yeah I was just going to say the same thing. That grille was gorgeous.

Are you guys referring to the Verite grille?
grillesm.jpg

No offense to the pre-production Aeolus grille, but I 3-d printed it in like 30 mins as an attempt just to have something at RMAF. No offense taken either if you like my handiwork more though haha.
aeolus pre pro.jpeg_DSC0942-2.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0935-2.jpg
    _DSC0935-2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 15, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #43 of 6,734
Are you guys referring to the Verite grille?

No offense to the pre-production Aeolus grille, but I 3-d printed it in like 30 mins as an attempt just to have something at RMAF. No offense taken either if you like my handiwork more though haha.

I very much like that design. I’d bet if that were brought to production it would be way more refined than the 3d printed model.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #44 of 6,734
+1. Not a big deal after all but I liked the prototype Aeolus grille more as well. It added a character to the product by being more fanciful and eye catching vs the final looks being more serious & toned down but nothing worth taking a second look at.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #45 of 6,734
I like the Verite grill a lot. Please don't change that one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back