ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 25, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #3,631 of 6,743
The Atticus looks like it leaks a lot of sound, so it's semi open?
But the Aeolus is wide open.

The Atticus is a closed headphone, only two ports are open the rest are decorative. It will attenuate sound as good or better than other headphones marketed as closed. I tis passive though not actively noise cancelling.

Is Universe Perforated Suede generally considered the go-to pad for Aeolus?

I ask because my Aeolus was among the pre-order batch from 2 years ago (received Feburary 2019). They had the stock pads but I only listened to them for a few hours and put them away, I then proceeded to use Atticus or Eikon for all of my listening while Aeolus sat unused those 2 years.

I considered selling them for some time until I watched Metal571's Aeolus review recently; he mentioned the Universe Perforated Suede pads as a neutral alternative. I took a chance and ordered them. Once they arrived, I first listened to Aeolus with the stock pads and figured out why I didn't like them..the stock pads put a veil or restriction over the sound that I just cannot get over.

Okay...then I put on the Uni.Perf.Suedes and gave a short listen..it didn't take long for things to finally make sense. The restricted sound was gone and what is left is exactly what all the hyped reviews (especially Zeos) were talking about. This is now probably the most transparent headphone I've ever heard, it is just so clear and engaging and commands your attention to the music..but it never hurts you. It reminds me a LOT of the Campfire Andromeda, but is more visually pleasing, less bright and less amp picky.

This hp went from disliked to number 1 in my collection all because of the pad change, it made that much difference....am I crazy?!

The aeolus of all our headphones probably has the widest array of sounds available via pad swaps - the U suede are definitely a favorite!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3,632 of 6,743
Is Universe Perforated Suede generally considered the go-to pad for Aeolus?

I ask because my Aeolus was among the pre-order batch from 2 years ago (received Feburary 2019). They had the stock pads but I only listened to them for a few hours and put them away, I then proceeded to use Atticus or Eikon for all of my listening while Aeolus sat unused those 2 years.

I considered selling them for some time until I watched Metal571's Aeolus review recently; he mentioned the Universe Perforated Suede pads as a neutral alternative. I took a chance and ordered them. Once they arrived, I first listened to Aeolus with the stock pads and figured out why I didn't like them..the stock pads put a veil or restriction over the sound that I just cannot get over.

Okay...then I put on the Uni.Perf.Suedes and gave a short listen..it didn't take long for things to finally make sense. The restricted sound was gone and what is left is exactly what all the hyped reviews (especially Zeos) were talking about. This is now probably the most transparent headphone I've ever heard, it is just so clear and engaging and commands your attention to the music..but it never hurts you. It reminds me a LOT of the Campfire Andromeda, but is more visually pleasing, less bright and less amp picky.

This hp went from disliked to number 1 in my collection all because of the pad change, it made that much difference....am I crazy?!

I agree with you, the Universe suede pads should be the go-to pads for the Aeolus. I would have never sold my first pair of Aeolus if the Universe suede pads would have been installed by default on the headphones.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,633 of 6,743
The aeolus of all our headphones probably has the widest array of sounds available via pad swaps - the U suede are definitely a favorite!

Hey Zach, I'm not trying to second guess you, but I think you should install/recommend the Universe suede pads by default for the Aeolus. I could be wrong, but I have the impression that 90% of your customers will always prefer the sound of the Aeolus with the Universe suede pads.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,634 of 6,743
Hey Zach, I'm not trying to second guess you, but I think you should install/recommend the Universe suede pads by default for the Aeolus. I could be wrong, but I have the impression that 90% of your customers will always prefer the sound of the Aeolus with the Universe suede pads.

Cheers

I must be in that 10%. I prefer stock or Auteur perforated lamb. The Universe Suede are good too, but just not to my taste. And I prefer the feel of leather to suede. Amazing how much difference the pads can make though!

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,635 of 6,743

Cheers
I must be in that 10%. I prefer stock or Auteur perforated lamb. The Universe Suede are good too, but just not to my taste. And I prefer the feel of leather to suede. Amazing how much difference the pads can make though!

We actually will be discontinuing the Aeolus pads very shortly. Not because I don't love them for a warm inviting sound, but they did turn out to be somewhat too warm for most. The reason we went with them is because they made the sound more alike the Atticus, but in hind-sight that "Atticus" like sound isn't the reason most go for open headphones.

The stock pad on the Aeolus will become the Universe Lamb - which is close to the aeolus - but with less "hump" in the lower mids that can make them too warm for some.

Lambskin pads will for the foreseeable future stock pads on all headphones, but I definitely like the suede pads for a more neutral, smoother sound.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3,636 of 6,743
I might have to get a set of the Universal Suede pads. I’ve only used the Aeolus pads and also tried the Verite pads. The Verite were too thin for the Aeolus but I put them on my K240 Sextett and they are great for that headphone.

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #3,638 of 6,743
I have universe perforated lambskin and suede. I normally prefer suede but once in a while put the lambskin on as sort of a reset. I am wondering if universe hybrid perforated or some form of Be2 should be my next set pads. Aeolus Blackwood was the best thing I ever did. I still put my HD650 and HD600 on for a session here and there just to tell myself I still love them. Jot 2 and Bifrost 2 is killer with Aeolus, as good as MLP if not better IMO.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,639 of 6,743
Jot 2 and Bifrost 2 is killer with Aeolus, as good as MLP if not better IMO.

The LP is the best amp that I have tried so far with the Aeolus. I'm still waiting for the delivery of my Jot 2, but to be honest I'm not in a hurry to receive the amp because I don't see what I would want to improve from my current setup. (BF2->LP->Aeolus)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,640 of 6,743
I too am wondering about the perf suede universe pads, I found the stock pads rather bland and dark, but still with something tizzy in the sound sig somewhere. I ordered some perf suedes a day ago, so here's hoping that they are worth the hype. Otherwise the aeolus is going to shortly be on its way out of my collection. I did try some perf suede auteur pads on the aeolus, and if the universe pads are slightly darker they may fit the bill.

Fortunately I love the stock aeolus pads on my auteur, by far my favorite pad for them, too bad you can't buy them separately! Perfectly balanced to my ears, and they have removed any hint of fatigue where other pads on the auteur always seemed too bright.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #3,642 of 6,743
We actually will be discontinuing the Aeolus pads very shortly. Not because I don't love them for a warm inviting sound, but they did turn out to be somewhat too warm for most. The reason we went with them is because they made the sound more alike the Atticus, but in hind-sight that "Atticus" like sound isn't the reason most go for open headphones.

The stock pad on the Aeolus will become the Universe Lamb - which is close to the aeolus - but with less "hump" in the lower mids that can make them too warm for some.

Lambskin pads will for the foreseeable future stock pads on all headphones, but I definitely like the suede pads for a more neutral, smoother sound.

I love the stock pads on the Aeolus. Anyone else?? *sheepishly raises hand*

Would love an opportunity to buy a fresh pair before they go away completely. Any chance of that happening?

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #3,643 of 6,743

Same, I much prefer the stock pads vs the others I've tried including the Universe Suede. I have limited interest in "neutral" sound from headphones though so YMMV I guess.

Auteur is too bright? I thought that the zmf stuff is fatigue free.. I'm so confused

I wouldn't call any ZMF dynamic bright. The Auteur have the most treble presence from the lineup IMO, but it's still rounded and not sharp or grating. I'm pretty treble sensitive and haven't found any ZMF to be fatiguing from a sound perspective.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #3,644 of 6,743
I too am wondering about the perf suede universe pads, I found the stock pads rather bland and dark, but still with something tizzy in the sound sig somewhere. I ordered some perf suedes a day ago, so here's hoping that they are worth the hype. Otherwise the aeolus is going to shortly be on its way out of my collection.

Some of your other headphones will probably start gathering dust once you will hear the Aeolus with the Universe suede pads :wink:

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #3,645 of 6,743
Same, I much prefer the stock pads vs the others I've tried including the Universe Suede. I have limited interest in "neutral" sound from headphones though so YMMV I guess.

Exactly, one of the reasons I love the Aeolus is because it ISN'T neutral. But I can understand why someone might want to push Aeolus a little towards neutral - everyone's tastes are different, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back