ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 24, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #2,011 of 6,740
I've done the same thing. That $929 sapele aeolus had my name on it too. Chose verite and perf uni suede. I'm ready!
Congrats! Another Texan and neighbor joining the club. :wink:

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #2,012 of 6,740
I've been going back and forth between ordering the Aeolus or not, and may just end up pulling the trigger this week on a pair of LTD in Camphor Burl. I just had to send a pair of Elex's back for a right driver that was DOA. Sort of left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not super thrilled about receiving the replacement. With 15 years of HD600/650 experience I feel like these would be a great set of headphones to pair with my GS-X and WA22, and from what I've read about ZMF I doubt Zach & team would let a dead right channel leave their shop.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #2,013 of 6,740
I've been going back and forth between ordering the Aeolus or not, and may just end up pulling the trigger this week on a pair of LTD in Camphor Burl. I just had to send a pair of Elex's back for a right driver that was DOA. Sort of left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not super thrilled about receiving the replacement. With 15 years of HD600/650 experience I feel like these would be a great set of headphones to pair with my GS-X and WA22, and from what I've read about ZMF I doubt Zach & team would let a dead right channel leave their shop.
I picked up the LTD Camphor Burl. I can’t wait to get it. Can’t wait to get them. I bet Zach checks every pair before they leave.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,014 of 6,740
from what I've read about ZMF I doubt Zach & team would let a dead right channel leave their shop.
Even if such an accidental thing happened, I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a left driver in my Eikon die due to a defective amplifier (manufacturer name withheld). Zach repaired it swiftly and for free, even though he didn't have to, which did 2 things.

One, it made me proud and glad that I have supported ZMF by buying and recommending their products. The customer service and support Zach and Co provides is truly top notch, and Zach is a stand-up guy.

Two, it angered me that the amp manufacturer didn't offer to replace the destroyed driver without my asking a few times about it. To be fair, they said they would contact Zach about covering the repair costs, as I had sent it for repair before the amp was repaired, and I can only hope that they did.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #2,015 of 6,740
I've been going back and forth between ordering the Aeolus or not, and may just end up pulling the trigger this week on a pair of LTD in Camphor Burl.

If I didn't already have an Aeolus that's exactly what I would be doing. I keep thinking about doing it anyway, if that gives you any idea of what I think about the Aeolus. And I also have several years experience with the HD650 (admittedly not 15 years, but all of my 3-4 years have been positive).

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #2,016 of 6,740
Westinghouse reliatron D getter 6SN7

Hi ProfFalkin! I checked your profile and seemed like you no longer have Lyr 3? Do you still recommend them for Aeolus?
I have found a lyr3/Bifrost multibit for $640 locally or 320 for each which I believe is a good deal at %44 of a brand new price(~$1300), after tax and shipping.

I was curios about your thoughts on this combo with Aoelus.
My bread and butter is blues rock, some Indie and classic rock.

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #2,017 of 6,740
Hi ProfFalkin! I checked your profile and seemed like you no longer have Lyr 3? Do you still recommend them for Aeolus?
I have found a lyr3/Bifrost multibit for $640 locally or 320 for each which I believe is a good deal at %44 of a brand new price(~$1300), after tax and shipping.

I was curios about your thoughts on this combo with Aoelus.
My bread and butter is blues rock, some Indie and classic rock.
Yeah, I think it's quite a nice little setup. I ran the lyr 3 for quite a while with the Aeolus, and it's a good pairing.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #2,018 of 6,740
Order placed for the Aeolus LTD in Camphor Burl. I decided to go with the stock perforated lambskin pads and a balanced OFC cable.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,019 of 6,740
Order placed for the Aeolus LTD in Camphor Burl. I decided to go with the stock perforated lambskin pads and a balanced OFC cable.
Congrats and another Texan! Zach and team, maybe you should set up a shop in Texas.:wink:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,022 of 6,740
Maybe we can also get a ZMFestivus in Texas. Pretty soon we will be able to do one anyway with all the owners here.
I would be all over that! Sounds like a great idea, to me. :o2smile:

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,024 of 6,740
Congrats, I think you will be very happy with the Aeolus, especially that fantastic wood on the LTD. Hopefully they show up soon!!!
It doesn't appear that there are too many on the waiting list for the Aeolus, however I'm in no hurry. They're done when they're done!

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,025 of 6,740
It doesn't appear that there are too many on the waiting list for the Aeolus, however I'm in no hurry. They're done when they're done!

I am not the original owner of mine (I'm the 2nd owner) so I totally skipped the wait. Initially I felt bad that I missed part of the ritual, but I got over it. And there will be a wait at some point on my next ZMF, whatever it ends up being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back