ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #2,041 of 6,720
So I just ordered a Blackwood Aeolus with Black grilles and rods for ZMF November! Can’t wait to spend all of my time listening to them :)

I currently have a Fostex HP-A8C amp, but I’m looking for a good tube option to pair with the Aeolus. Not looking to go super deep into it, so I’m between the Bottlehead Crack and a used ZDT Jr. Any thoughts on which one may pair better with the ZMF’s?

I've heard great things about pairing ZMFs with the Bottlehead Crack. Of the two, I've only used, and owned, ZDT Jr. I can say for sure that I really enjoyed ZDT Jr and Auteur/Aeolus pairings, and the only reason I'm selling the ZDT Jr is because I delved deeper into the rabbit hole and bought a Moon Audio Inspire IHA-1.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #2,044 of 6,720
So I just ordered a Blackwood Aeolus with Black grilles and rods for ZMF November! Can’t wait to spend all of my time listening to them :)

I currently have a Fostex HP-A8C amp, but I’m looking for a good tube option to pair with the Aeolus. Not looking to go super deep into it, so I’m between the Bottlehead Crack and a used ZDT Jr. Any thoughts on which one may pair better with the ZMF’s?

I’m definitely looking into getting an EC ZDT Jr to pair with the Aeolus.

Feel free to pm me with any questions you have about it. There is plenty of great feedback out there for this amp. Check out its feedback thread here on Head-fi. IMO Its an amazing value option to dip your toes in and see what tubes can do.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #2,045 of 6,720
For those that have recently placed orders, what is the timeline for the order sheet to be reflect your order? This is my first pair of ZMF headphones I've ordered.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #2,046 of 6,720
For those that have recently placed orders, what is the timeline for the order sheet to be reflect your order? This is my first pair of ZMF headphones I've ordered.
It took mine a week or so to show up on the sheet back when I ordered my Aeolus in Sept.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #2,047 of 6,720

If you ordered from ZMF NOVEMBER, a sheet will be going out this week. The other headphone sheets will be updated tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 1, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #2,049 of 6,720
Dec 1, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2,050 of 6,720
If you ordered from ZMF NOVEMBER, a sheet will be going out this week. The other headphone sheets will be updated tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!
Bevin, thank you for the response. I didn't order from ZMF November (got me some Camphor Burl Aeolus LTD's), but figured it would take you guys a bit to get caught up, considering it was ZMF November/Thanksgiving and all!

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #2,051 of 6,720
Bevin, thank you for the response. I didn't order from ZMF November (got me some Camphor Burl Aeolus LTD's), but figured it would take you guys a bit to get caught up, considering it was ZMF November/Thanksgiving and all!
I ordered the same ones. They look amazing. Can’t wait to see them in person.

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #2,052 of 6,720

No problem! Thanks for your patience. The lists should be up-to-date pending any emailed changes. Always feel free to shoot me an email if you catch an errors on the sheet or have any questions. I’m happy to help!

Hope everyone is enjoying the tail end of Sunday and some good leftovers :)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #2,053 of 6,720

Congrats on the Aeolus!! You're going to love it.

I spent about 3 weeks listening to the ZDT Jr with the Aeolus and it's a really great smooth, open, and detailed tube sound. I'd definitely recommended it as an easy and low cost entry into the tube world. I've only heard the Bottlehead Crack briefly with the Aeolus and it sounded fantastic. Maybe a little punchier in the bass than the ZDT Jr, but hard for me to give an accurate comparison due to my limited time with the crack that also had upgraded tubes. They both pair amazingly with the Aeolus.

I'm in the process of building the crack, mostly because I want a good DIY project and am interested in a moderate (okay maybe starting to be slightly unhealthy) amount of tube rolling. IMO you get the ZDT Jr to get a great tube sound with minimal fuss, and you get the BHC crack for DIY project and to get into tube rolling. I don't think you can go wrong with either, it's more of a matter of what type of experience and how much tube rolling flexibility and experimentation you're look for. @Darthpool has both and may be able to add further comparison notes between the two.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,054 of 6,720
Hey guys,

Back to the Aeolus thread! As I'm waiting for Zach to determine what the next limited wood for the Verite Closed is going to be - I'm trying to decide if I should just go with the Aeolus instead. I've had the Atticus and Auteur and I believe the Aeolus sits kind of in the middle. In my opinion it was difficult to go with either one as the Atticus had awesome bass but it became too much and it kind of lacked detail - I felt like it was a suped up 650. The Auteurs on the other hand had sweet mids and pretty good subbass with way better treble extension and detail but I thought it was too neutral overall and a little bit boring. Will the Aeolus with Universe Suede pads be the mix of the two that I'm after? I would like to keep a bit of that midbass for the dynamics and fun factor but get a bit better treble extension by making the sound a bit more linear thereby increasing the microdetail as well.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #2,055 of 6,720
Will the Aeolus with Universe Suede pads be the mix of the two that I'm after?
Of course no one can tell you what you're after (and it was probably rhetorical) but that combo definitely floats my boat.

I always liked Atticus whenever I heard it (show demos) but it never went further that like for me.

Auteur I had a loaner and found it is much better in a neutral way for me. I never found them boring at all (we all have different tastes, systems etc) but I did have a problem with the upper mids/lower treble which I personally found fatiguing.

The Aeolus is a step back in resolution IMO, but not night & day. The thing is, I just enjoy listening with them so much, I don't care. They are so engaging for my tastes I enjoy every minuet with them.

Of course YMMV, and a demo is always the best option (but not always feasible) but as it's been mentioned here, I think the Aeolus is the "safest" bet in the ZMF lineup. Not amp picky, scales with better gear and very ear friendly.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back