ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 11, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #391 of 728
Thanks to everyone who bought an Aegis! Really looking forward to what y'all think

I picked up some Mullard EL33 to test out, I'll let ya know what rectifiers are best for biasing purposes 😎
Sweet, I've been eyeing a pair of 6m6g for a few months now ...
Confirming question I got by PM: 807 is compatible in Aegis with adapter.
I grabbed a pair of Fivre 807 last week, waiting for the adapter to arrive. Also I remember in the DIY thread that kt8c is compatible, what about the VT-79 @L0rdGwyn ?

My current "cheap" roll for the Aegis (DIY). Mullard El38, Tungsol 6cs7gt & Rca 5R4GY , each can be had for under 50 bucks (the Mullard you might have to buy in bulk from UK to get good price, so find another Aegis' friend!).

DSC_1287.png

Earlier I find the Mullard El38 to be a bit clinical for my taste, especially when paired with the Mullard Gz34 & 5691. I have quite high treble tolerance, but still found the combo quite peaky with the Caldera. With help mostly from the RCA 5R4GY (which is a bit less lively compared to other rectifier I've tried) the sound turns up quite nicely, a bit laid back with a tiny bit emphasis on mid bass, treble is still bright but no longer unbearable on some track.

The current tube combo makes listening to EDM (Steve Aoki & Andrew Rayel) enjoyable on my Caldera ... which is a first!

May 11, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #392 of 728
Is there any plan to make the Aegis lighter? Different parts or something? I live upstairs and I don’t think I can carry 60 lbs of metal to my room…

May 11, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #393 of 728
Is there any plan to make the Aegis lighter? Different parts or something? I live upstairs and I don’t think I can carry 60 lbs of metal to my room…
Seems like a simpler solution would be to get either mechanical help (cart, hand truck) or hire someone, maybe a burly friend would do it for a beer you’d offer them anyway. Would be a shame to miss out over an easily overcome logistical problem. The weight is from all the metal in the chokes and transformers. A lightweight version couldn’t possibly sound the same.

May 11, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #394 of 728
Seems like a simpler solution would be to get either mechanical help (cart, hand truck) or hire someone, maybe a burly friend would do it for a beer you’d offer them anyway. Would be a shame to miss out over an easily overcome logistical problem. The weight is from all the metal in the chokes and transformers. A lightweight version couldn’t possibly sound the same.
True but that’s innovation. It doesn’t have to be the same, it can be even better. The issue is the parts are value focused so heavy parts are used. Will there be a special or Elite edition that uses more expensive capacitors instead?

May 11, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #395 of 728
True but that’s innovation. It doesn’t have to be the same, it can be even better. The issue is the parts are value focused so heavy parts are used. Will there be a special or Elite edition that uses more expensive capacitors instead?
I don’t think anything over $3k can still be considered really value focused. And when it comes to transformers and chokes, heavy is definitely not the less expensive option. The capacitors aren’t responsible for much of the weight by comparison. Maybe DIY would suit you better as you could then assemble the amp in situ and not have to carry it.

May 11, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #396 of 728
May 11, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #397 of 728

I grabbed a pair of Fivre 807 last week, waiting for the adapter to arrive. Also I remember in the DIY thread that kt8c is compatible, what about the VT-79 @L0rdGwyn ?

My current "cheap" roll for the Aegis (DIY). Mullard El38, Tungsol 6cs7gt & Rca 5R4GY , each can be had for under 50 bucks (the Mullard you might have to buy in bulk from UK to get good price, so find another Aegis' friend!).

DSC_1287.png

Earlier I find the Mullard El38 to be a bit clinical for my taste, especially when paired with the Mullard Gz34 & 5691. I have quite high treble tolerance, but still found the combo quite peaky with the Caldera. With help mostly from the RCA 5R4GY (which is a bit less lively compared to other rectifier I've tried) the sound turns up quite nicely, a bit laid back with a tiny bit emphasis on mid bass, treble is still bright but no longer unbearable on some track.

The current tube combo makes listening to EDM (Steve Aoki & Andrew Rayel) enjoyable on my Caldera ... which is a first!

I agree, I used the Brimar 5R4GY CV717 black plate with the Mullard EL38's and it sounds very nice. The Mullard GZ34 is just too much detail, brightness. That combo didn't last long for me as it is very clinical as you say!

The Elrog 274b + Mullard EL38's are good for a lot of genres but, does come close to my limits for detail / brightness on some albums. That's when I swap either rectifier back to the Brimar or, use the EL39's. I have a pair of Mullard ECC35's incoming and was thinking they may well pair well with the 274b & EL38 pairing given they are supposed to be a bit richer, warmer than the RCA 5691s.

When it comes too the ZMF AC, Elrog 274b, RCA Red Base 5691 and GEC KT88 are without any doubt my favourite load out. That said, I do have a pair of GEC KT66 on their way as a loan so that should be interesting :L3000:

May 11, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #398 of 728

DSC_1287.png

VT79 is equivalent to the KT8C, so yeah should work fine in Aegis.

Sorry, no plans to do that right now. I like @cats4cans suggestion of asking someone for assistance if you think you'll need a hand.

May 11, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #399 of 728
Time for another tube roll, as this one just got delivered.

Say hello to a Mullard GZ32, of which is a super rare and early version with Black Welded Plates. The thing looks like it's brand new, even though it's an early 50’s make. :grinning:

1000005507.jpg

1000005510.jpg

Time to see how it sounds. . .

1000005551.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #400 of 728
No other tube brand does bass, mids and staging quite like early Mullard's. The GZ32 Black Welded Plate is sounding mighty fine, and this one will most definitely stay in rotation. :grin:

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #401 of 728
No other tube brand does bass, mids and staging quite like early Mullard's. The GZ32 Black Welded Plate is sounding mighty fine, and this one will most definitely stay in rotation. :grin:

I haven't tried one of those yet. They are definitely on my list, however.

May 11, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #402 of 728
With what I am hearing right now, this is definitely a tube to get. The depth of the staging is stunning and the decay and reverb seem to go on forever. Talk about hearing the room, this tube does it.

May 11, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #403 of 728
With what I am hearing right now, this is definitely a tube to get. The depth of the staging is stunning and the decay and reverb seem to go on forever. Talk about hearing the room, this tube does it.

All I can say Wes is that you are both helping and not helping at the same time. If you pick up what I am putting down. :wink:

May 11, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #404 of 728
Time for another tube roll, as this one just got delivered.

Say hello to a Mullard GZ32, of which is a super rare and early version with Black Welded Plates. The thing looks like it's brand new, even though it's an ealry 50’s make. :grinning:

1000005507.jpg
1000005510.jpg

Time to see how it sounds. . .

1000005551.jpg

GZ32 / 5V4 is a sister tube to GZ34 / 5AR4 as both have indirectly heated cathodes. This gives them both a "soft start" characteristic of applying B+ voltage. GZ32 has a lower maximum DC current rating than GZ34 (still very much within spec for Aegis) and a slightly higher, but still low Vdrop of around 25V compared to 10V for GZ34.

May 11, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #405 of 728
GZ32 / 5V4 is a sister tube to GZ34 / 5AR4 as both have indirectly heated cathodes. This gives them both a "soft start" characteristic of applying B+ voltage. GZ32 has a lower maximum DC current rating than GZ34 (still very much within spec for Aegis) and a slightly higher, but still low Vdrop of around 25V compared to 10V for GZ34.
I love learning about why they sound different, and thanks for sharing. I have a Sittard 59' D Getter GZ34 on the way, and look forward to comparing it to the Mullard GZ32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back