ZiShan DSDs HiFi Player Thread
May 29, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #106 of 119
I remember reading somewhere that Muses 1,2 and 3 have (soft) copper legs.
Also dip8 sockets in zishans are very bad quality and some socket pins can even grab the opamp legs. Take care with those genuine Muses with copper legs.

May 30, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #107 of 119
yes I can confirm that. Pulling out the stock opamps from the Zishan Z1/Z3 and DSD is a pain. I use a pair of tweezers and a small flat screwdriver as a lever. I really had to pull and wiggle to get them out, the legs of the opamp where all bent in all directions.

I pushed he Muses01 into the socket and one leg was bent. But when I pulled it out again to try again, I had to use force and all the legs where bent. The dip8 socket is really low quality. I got the Muses in good shape again with the tweezers but I was very nervous. The Burson is better build with straight pins. Too bad they don't fit in the DSD without extension wires.

In the DSD the Muses01 needs to be pushed down otherwise the opamp housing will touch the CPU on the other board on top of it. I rather have some air between them.

And I have some new observations: the ES version gets warmer (but not hot), and the battery drains faster. I think the battery last aprox 4 hours. The CS version stays cooler and has longer battery life, under the same conditions (same flac files, same headphone, same volume, position 48-50).

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #108 of 119
@raabje it is possible without extension cable.

Attachments

• PXL_20210529_190039416~2-01.jpeg
    PXL_20210529_190039416~2-01.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 30, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #109 of 119
@raabje
Get a "U type DIP extraction tool", so you can pull the IC vertically, that helps a lot.
I replaced all my zishan sockets for good ones.
To minimize the problem (if it fits the space), is to use a good socket ontop of the bad socket or put the IC in a good socket and then use that socket with the IC and not the IC alone for insert/remove.
For example, to try several opamps in the same device, protect the device socket putting an extra socket ontop, then remove the extra socket after you selected the opamp to use there.
All sockets have a limited number of insertion/removal operations.
Some good dip8 sockets (I bought from arrow USA) were rated to 1000 Mating Cycles (insertion/removal), I also like to buy gold contacts and beryllium plated _copper_ legs.

Notice in the first photo here, the inside of the socket legs after cut and sanded is copper, the outside is beryllium plated and the last photo the socket insertion place is gold plated (bought from arrow):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-zishan-dsds-corner.826185/page-102#post-14729684

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #110 of 119
Okay thanks, I do have one proper extension socket. Changing the sockets, I have to ask a guy in my area to do the (paid) solder job, I will think about it. The Z1 and Z3 have a lot of space but I think the DSD has not.

Right now I have a Z1 and Z3 with Buson V5i-D and they sound almost the same (Z1 has a tiny bit more bass resonance), and DSD with ES/Muses 01 and DSD with CS/Muses 02 that sound the same.

The Muses 02 in the Z1 was not the right match, to much a V shaped sound, and I think the CS could benefit from a more warmer and bassy opamp. So swapping the Muses02 from the CS to the Z3 and put the Burson in the CS would be the best new combination.

Setmagic, I assume you lowered the socket on that picture? Because the Burson is a bit high, and it seems there is only space in the DSD for a normal opamp. Too high and it touches the CPU om the board above it? Or is there just enough space? Could you please explain?

I opened up my Z3 and DSD to check and it is really narrow inside the DSD. The Burson is huge. I think I can test this new combination with the boards open, outside the case,but then again I don´t want to break a leg from the Muses for this experiment.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #112 of 119
@raabje
Not only lowered socket but directly solder to PCB and as well lowered Burson V5i by 2-3 mm :)IMG_20210317_163008_tigr~2.jpg

Directly soldering is always better than any socket, it's like direct coupling.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #114 of 119
There is a lot more important modifications than just opamp replacing in DSDs.
First is unlock 3,5mm HP out.
I have done most safe mods.
In the future I will replace any chip and caps for best possible ones.

Nichicon 470nF 16V gold perfect fit in this place :)
PXL_20210530_231006520.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #116 of 119
Aug 8, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #117 of 119
AK4499 is canceled as a DAC chip and Zishan model so it's a "special" price for "collectors" :wink:
Not a scam, just some idiot who think he can make money on some other idiots. If you want a 4499 chip, you can buy a few DAC for 450$ and remove it. Or you could get the vmv d2 for 1200$ and have the best 4499 implantentation money can buy.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #119 of 119
I did not, but I tried with the deva pro. it was ok, nothing special. i even tried it with few pre amps. to tell you the truth, i don't enjoy the Zishan as much as you use to be, now that I have better options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back