ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
May 18, 2016 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,497

bhazard

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased the ZhiYin QT5 and decided it needed it's own thread.

Although somewhat pricey to the budget conscious, four balanced armatures and one dynamic driver are found in each earpiece. A silver plated 8 core mmcx cable (Easily $60+ alone in value) is provided. Altogether, it is very difficult to find the amount of drivers and a silver plated 8 core cable anywhere near this price.

The mmcx cable seems to be of the Shure mmcx type. I was able to use the Fidue Balanced cable that was meant for their A83 with success on these, enabling balanced audio from my Geek Out V2+ Infinity.

Specification:                                                                                      

1. Product Name: ZhiYin QT5 Hybrid 5 drive unit in ear earphone
  2. Type: In-ear  
  3. Brand: ZhiYin
  4. Model: QT5
  5. Impedance: 8Ω 
  6. Headphone sensitivity: 118dB/mW
  7. Frequency range: 10-40000Hz
  8. Interface: 3.5mm 
  9. Cable Length: 1.2m±5cm
 10.Weight: 60g
 11.Color: Silver
 12.Whether with Mic: No
 13.Headphone plug type: Straight type
 14.Headphone Interface type: MMCX Interface
 15.Headphone upgrade cable: MMCX 8-core silver plated cable
 16.Drive unit: 1 DD + 4 BA drive unit

QT5 Specs:

1. Shell: 304 stainless steel;

2. Unit Configuration
Composite middle high frequency 31749 BA;
+very high frequency 30095 BA;
+120Ω middle frequency BA;
+60Ω low middld frequency 10MM dynamic driver speaker.

3. Earphone parameters: impedance 8 ohms, sensitivity 118DB, frequency response 10HZ-40KHZ,

4. Wiring: Oyaide mini plug, 8-core single crystal copper silver wire Shure MMCX line replaceable pins,

5. Accessories: pure leather earphone bag * 1, six pairs of sleeves (S/M/L * 2) 

Price: $288

Available from Aliexpress. HCK audio.

Review Here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/zhiyin-qt5/reviews/16110

Link:
http://aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-New-ZhiYin-QT5-Hybrid-5-Drive-Unit-In-Ear-Earphone-DIY-HIFI-Headphone-Kill-K3003/1825606_32640588846.html

Foobar2000 EQ correction curves for a more balanced sound:

I strongly suggest using EQ for best performance.

May 18, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 1,497
I recently purchased the ZhiYin QT5 and decided it needed it's own thread.

Although somewhat pricey to the budget conscious, four balanced armatures and one dynamic driver are found in each earpiece. A silver plated 8 core mmcx cable (Easily $60+ alone in value) is provided. Altogether, it is very difficult to find the amount of drivers and a silver plated 8 core cable anywhere near this price.

Sorry I dont have them ... yet! Looking forward to reading yours and others impressions. .. :popcorn:

May 20, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 1,497
Love my QT5, have had them for a few weeks.
Here are my initial impressions.

Run them balanced out of my Onkyo DP-X1 Digital Audio Player with a FIDUE A83 2.5/3.5mm MMCX Balanced Cable.

Cable can be found on ebay for around  $50, not the greatest quality but it does the job. The shipped cable that came with my unit made my earphones a tad bright. I prefer the the Fidue cables as they can be run balanced and they seem to drop the brightness a bit.

As for sound, they have a lovely mid-centric but extended sound that goes deep into sub-bass territory when needed Sound plays well in tremble area without being overly bright. There is space and detail in the sound. Detail is just right to my ears, never to the point of too much detail.

Listening to Miles Davis earlier today, I thought that trumpet sounded perfect, actually all the instruments sounded great. Davis's trumpet can sound almost jarring with some earphones, but it just sounded wonderful with the QT5's.
Quickly switching to the Shockwave III's, I felt as if I was missing something, as if the mid's had moved to the background, to my ears the Shockwave's have a V shape sound, which it itself can be great, but the QT5's just do a better all around job.

I think the key is that Dynamic driver, it just warms up the sound and gives it a great bottom end, the Dynamic plus the BA's are able to represent sound very naturally and keep things sounding excellent throughout the spectrum.

I'll add more when I get a chance.

May 20, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 1,497
  Thanks. Was enlightening.

So, what I understand from this is that QT5 might have some more weight on mid-bass, presenting a warmer, maybe fuller sound.

That is correct, but also with detail and tremble extension, which is often lost with that type of sound.

May 20, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 1,497
  Love my QT5, have had them for a few weeks.
Here are my initial impressions.

Run them balanced out of my Onkyo DP-X1 Digital Audio Player with a FIDUE A83 2.5/3.5mm MMCX Balanced Cable.

Cable can be found on ebay for around  $50, not the greatest quality but it does the job. The shipped cable that came with my unit made my earphones a tad bright. I prefer the the Fidue cables as they can be run balanced and they seem to drop the brightness a bit.

As for sound, they have a lovely mid-centric but extended sound that goes deep into sub-bass territory when needed Sound plays well in tremble area without being overly bright. There is space and detail in the sound. Detail is just right to my ears, never to the point of too much detail.

Listening to Miles Davis earlier today, I thought that trumpet sounded perfect, actually all the instruments sounded great. Davis's trumpet can sound almost jarring with some earphones, but it just sounded wonderful with the QT5's.
Quickly switching to the Shockwave III's, I felt as if I was missing something, as if the mid's had moved to the background, to my ears the Shockwave's have a V shape sound, which it itself can be great, but the QT5's just do a better all around job.

I think the key is that Dynamic driver, it just warms up the sound and gives it a great bottom end, the Dynamic plus the BA's are able to represent sound very naturally and keep things sounding excellent throughout the spectrum.

I'll add more when I get a chance.

This is my impression about 30 hours in as well. I wouldn't say these are mid centric, but vocals and drums shine alongside deep subbass and some slightly elevated midbass in certain areas (but not all). Treble is only very slightly elevated. It's nearly flat and well extended. I was able to somewhat figure out the FR with the HTC personal audio profiling, which basically plays different frequencies and shows you FR based on your adjustments. It's somewhat slightly w shaped, with slight dips and peaks, but maintaining a nice balance throughout. The slightest eq adjustments can fix those areas you feel are lacking, and it handles it well.

Detail is excellent, soundstage huge with vocals centerstage, and the balanced cable does give a blacker background. The dynamic really does give that great bass that I don't think a 5 BA would be able to provide. Bass can get MASSIVE at times while being maintained.

The QT5 also reveals recordings that aren't very good, and it isn't very forgiving with them. It's not the fault of the IEM, but something to be aware of.

Best IEM I've had, no doubt. My brain and wallet can only handle an under $400 price limit (unless I try a $1,000+ set sometime and really see a difference worth the cost). 

May 20, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 1,497
You mentioned these are the best sub $600 IEMs youve heard , am curious what youve heard around $600 that impressed you more? Could it be the Sony Z5s?

The Z5's have great bass and subbass. They have a big commanding sound. But they are difficult to get a good fit, at least with my ears.
It's been a while since I picked them up, and have been thinking lately that I should just sell them. Not currently in my rotation, and no, they were not what I was thinking about.

I prefer them to my AKG K3003i's and IE800's. Which I believe sell used in that price range or less. I think they play in that league. Crazy, isn't it.

My other big hitters, including the Solar, Noble 10ku, Unique Melody Mason,1964 ears Adele U12, etc are really in a  different league.

May 20, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 1,497
The Z5's have great bass and subbass. They have a big commanding sound. But they are difficult to get a good fit, at least with my ears.
It's been a while since I picked them up, and have been thinking lately that I should just sell them. Not currently in my rotation, and no, they were not what I was thinking about.

I prefer them to my AKG K3003i's and IE800's. Which I believe sell used in that price range or less. I think they play in that league. Crazy, isn't it.

My other big hitters, including the Solar, Noble 10ku, Unique Melody Mason,1964 ears Adele U12, etc are really in a  different league.

Your collection blows my mind! Have decided on QT5s for next IEM. Can afford to get them now but will stick to self imposed restriction of 1 new toy a month . Appreciate it thankyou!

May 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 1,497
Your collection blows my mind! Have decided on QT5s for next IEM. Can afford to get them now but will stick to self imposed restriction of 1 new toy a month . Appreciate it thankyou!

Just updated the earphone section. Really have to have a garage sale, as my wife keeps on telling me, I only have two ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back