ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
May 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #46 of 1,497
They arrived and right out of the box, it's immediately noticeable that midrange is better tuned than SW3. SW3's female vocals sound thin in comparison. SW3 is brighter, more treble quantity, but in fact vocals sound better on the QT5's. Instrument separation, detail, etc, seems pretty much on pair. Also seems to me, although still to early to commment, that QT5 bass is superior. Great surprise, I was loving SW3, but this one seems to have even better tuning.

May 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #47 of 1,497
  They arrived and right out of the box, it's immediately noticeable that midrange is better tuned than SW3. SW3's female vocals sound thin in comparison. SW3 is brighter, more treble quantity, but in fact vocals sound better on the QT5's. Instrument separation, detail, etc, seems pretty much on pair. Also seems to me, although still to early to commment, that QT5 bass is superior. Great surprise, I was loving SW3, but this one seems to have even better tuning.

Thanks for the early impression. That sounds awsome and very promising. Can't for a more in depth review after some burn in. I hope the isolation and soundstage is close to the SW3 and the fit is not issue with that big nozzle.

May 27, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #48 of 1,497
Well, now that things are starting to setle down and after much more listening time and critical A/B's I think I can give you a more accurate comparison between the 2.

QT5 treble is more refined. It's on another level of detail and finesse. Better drivers possibly.

Mids as told before are warmer, fuller, especially noticed on female vocals, where they sound thin on the SW3 in comparison. Still the levels of detail in the mids are very high and instruments sound incredibly realistic with an excelent timbre.

Bass has superior definition, also more refined than SW3. The flap of the snare drum is more intense and impactful and this is something I like.

Now for me, this is a more refined version of the SW3, I wouldn't say other league because SW3 is pretty good, just more refined and better tuned in the mids.

Isolation is pretty poor compared to SW3, so if isolation is critical for you, go with the SW3, they're amazing. But QT5 does certain things better, of the 2 I choose QT5 sacrificing the isolation.

May 27, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #50 of 1,497
  Would you guys consider this a bass head IEM? Does it best the SE846? I thought the SE846 bass was good... but it wasn't as big as I wanted.

Thanks guys.

No, it's not. Plenty of bass but not basshead territory. Compared to SE846, I think QT5 is superior. It bests FLC8S from bass to treble, which is considered by most users superior to SE846.

May 27, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #51 of 1,497
  Well, now that things are starting to setle down and after much more listening time and critical A/B's I think I can give you a more accurate comparison between the 2.

QT5 treble is more refined. It's on another level of detail and finesse. Better drivers possibly.

Mids as told before are warmer, fuller, especially noticed on female vocals, where they sound thin on the SW3 in comparison. Still the levels of detail in the mids are very high and instruments sound incredibly realistic with an excelent timbre.

Bass has superior definition, also more refined than SW3. The flap of the snare drum is more intense and impactful and this is something I like.

Now for me, this is a more refined version of the SW3, I wouldn't say other league because SW3 is pretty good, just more refined and better tuned in the mids.

Isolation is pretty poor compared to SW3, so if isolation is critical for you, go with the SW3, they're amazing. But QT5 does certain things better, of the 2 I choose QT5 sacrificing the isolation.

Ahh man, I just bought the SW3 yesterday and now you're telling me there's something better for a similar price. This hobby sucks lol.

May 27, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #52 of 1,497

No, it's not. Plenty of bass but not basshead territory. Compared to SE846, I think QT5 is superior. It bests FLC8S from bass to treble, which is considered by most users superior to SE846.

Do you think it has a better "subwoofer" affect? By that, I'm asking if it has a more quality *rumble* (that is better than the Se846) and that is coherent with everything else. I just want to make sure with you guys first. Maybe I'll consider it if it has plenty of bass... but at the same time its hard to tell without listening first. I have a pair of Massdrop TH-X00 on the way, and I feel like that's the kind of bass I'm looking for (I hope).

May 27, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #53 of 1,497
  Ahh man, I just bought the SW3 yesterday and now you're telling me there's something better for a similar price. This hobby sucks lol.

Indeed. lol. But hey, you'll be simply amazed by the SW3's. They punch way way above their price tag. They're fantastic. It's just that this one took me by surprise, however SW3 isolation is much better.

May 27, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #54 of 1,497

Do you think it has a better "subwoofer" affect? By that, I'm asking if it has a more quality *rumble* (that is better than the Se846) and that is coherent with everything else. I just want to make sure with you guys first. Maybe I'll consider it if it has plenty of bass... but at the same time its hard to tell without listening first. I have a pair of Massdrop TH-X00 on the way, and I feel like that's the kind of bass I'm looking for (I hope).

Great sub-bass. Really dominates. Same for ShockWave III. From memory I don't remember SE846 having so much sub-bass, but mid-bass, but man, it has been a long time.

May 27, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #58 of 1,497
  Is the fit pretty good too? I mean, wearing it over ear feels like could get loose very easy. I may be laying down when I'm wearing these too, so that may be another issue for me if you could clarify? Can you also wear these just straight down? 

With the supplied cable they can't be worn straight down. Fit is good to my ears and they're big. I guess it will be pretty good for smaller ears.

May 27, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #59 of 1,497
Just a note about my comparison above: I'm being extremely nitpicky here, I believe most people can't discern the difference with the exception of the female vocals. Of course that if you don't have the QT5 to compare, you'll never know. I have compared SW3 to FLC8S side by side and the FLC8S was just a bit warmer, nothing so noticeable as it is with the QT5. So SW3 is an excelent buy and it's almost impossible not to fall in love with. But if you have both and A/B, it's possible that you prefer the QT5, if isolation is not an issue for you. Both are wonderful and I will still do some more A/B's, because I was really happy with the SW3.

May 27, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #60 of 1,497
Just a note about my comparison above: I'm being extremely nitpicky here, I believe most people can't discern the difference with the exception of the female vocals. Of course that if you don't have the QT5 to compare, you'll never know. I have compared SW3 to FLC8S side by side and the FLC8S was just a bit warmer, nothing so noticeable as it is with the QT5. So SW3 is an excelent buy and it's almost impossible not to fall in love with. But if you have both and A/B, it's possible that you prefer the QT5, if isolation is not an issue for you. Both are wonderful and I will still do some more A/B's, because I was really happy with the SW3.

Were you able to tip roll with the Qt5? If so, what? I read that the nozzles are so big that tip selection is extremely limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back