Zhaolu for speakers?
Nov 20, 2006 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Angaria

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap (<$300) dac to use with some full range speakers that would be an improvement over my emu 0404. I've heard good things about the zhaolu, but I'm wondering if the fact it's also a headphone amp decreases it's value as a pure dac relative to other contenders. Would you say it's still the best value in this price range? Thanks.

Nov 20, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap (<$300) dac to use with some full range speakers that would be an improvement over my emu 0404. I've heard good things about the zhaolu, but I'm wondering if the fact it's also a headphone amp decreases it's value as a pure dac relative to other contenders. Would you say it's still the best value in this price range? Thanks.

No question it's among the very best values in a DAC. The headphone amp really has nothing to do with the quality of the unit as a DAC, it is just a bonus feature. The DAC's main analog output signal doesn't have anything to do with the headphone amp. It does run off the unit's main power supply but you can go in and unplug the power to the headphone amp in about 2 seconds.

Nov 20, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 15
using mine out of an x-fi into some Klipsch surround speakers and it sounds way smoother IMO than it did prior.

Nov 24, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 15
While I have not heard a Zhaolu, based on all the positive feedback and reviews I have read about it, I would say it would be a pretty big step up in quality. Espesially one of the modded zhaolus.

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the zhaolu compare with similarly priced DAC-AHs?

Zhaolu is brighter and somewhat more detailed than the dac-ah.. the dac-ah is warmer and more musical

Thats the general stereotype anyway. I've heard both extensively

The zhaolu could possibly be too harsh for your full range speakers, but it really depends on how they perform stock. Mine can be unkind for bad recordings, so I try lean towards something a little smoother (dac-ah)

In the end, if that's the pricerange that you're willing to do business in, you will do well with either the zhaolu or the dac-ah

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of cables would one need to connect speakers with 1/8'' analog plugs to the zhaolu?

mini->rca.

Nov 24, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 15
Um I don't know if it is soley a 2 channel b/c going from my X-Fi to my surround I get 5.1 out according to the speaker test. It is probably a pass through feature.

Oh and yes the Zhalou should be modded as it sounds way better than stock. This may be too complicated for you but it is very simple to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back