Zhaolu DAC, Any GOOD? Any Good USB DACS?
Apr 9, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #16 of 16
Very old thread I know but it came top of the Google search when I wanted to see others thoughts on the Zhaolu so I wanted to add my opinion for the record.

I've been using a Zhaolu 2.5 with the upgraded headphone amp board for some years in my second system. It sounds very good indeed from my RPi into a USB/SPDIF converter, and my Chromecast using optical. I use it with HD650s, DT880s and Monoprice M1570 planars. My other amps are mainly Audio Gd (eg Fun) and Eufonika OTLs but I have some others and have owned many in the past to compare to (eg Graham Slee Solo ULDE+PSU1, LD MKIVSE etc).

My DAC doesn't have a USB input, I'm not sure where that places it in the versions. The upgraded headphone amp board seems to have MOSFETs which might explain why I like the sound so much. I probably upgraded the opamps when I bought it s/h too.

I wonder if anyone else still uses a Zhaolu dac/amp they are worth buying if you see one and it has the upgraded amp. Chuck in a couple of nice opamps and hey presto!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back