Zhaolu DAC, Any GOOD? Any Good USB DACS?
Sep 29, 2007 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

blackthorne77

New Head-Fier
I see a few people here that have the Zhalou DAC's. I was looking at the Zhaolu DAC D3.0 with TG-Link (what the hell is a TG-link anyway?), and the Zhaolu D2.5C DAC w/ Headphone Amp Upgrade. Basically, I wanted a USB DAC with RCA outputs and great sound. I have $300(approx) I can spend. I was gonna buy the trends UD-10 as a Digital transport to go from USB to optical if I cant find a good USB DAC. I am not A DIYer so kits are out. I love my Trends TA 10.1 and want to hook this up to my computer through a USB DAC. My speakers I will be using are Klipsch RF-62's. Or I might hook it up to my Little dot II++ headmap and Senn HD 580's.
580smile.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 16
Check audiogon. I am working an old Theta Dac for around $220. I also got a nice PS Audio Dac for $150. Both are better than the Zhalou. Modded, the Zhalou is better but more than $400.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just missed an Entech 245.2 Number Cruncher
tongue.gif
Keep an eye out on audiogon as well.

Yeah, but the Entech 245.2 isn't USB capable. Otherwise I would have bought his personal unit that still had the phase switch.
tongue.gif

I was exchanging quite a few PMs with the guy, having a friendly discussion.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 16
Usb kind of sucks. there is a lot of noise in it. you are much better off optical or coax.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usb kind of sucks. there is a lot of noise in it. you are much better off optical or coax.

That all depends on the USB implementation, it's not an across-the-board truth.

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm happy with my USB out. It has no more discernable noise than my NAD CD player.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Checkout Diyparadise Monica 2 USB, I just got it this afternoon and the sound is realy great ! Very full/warm and transparant without being harsh (analog sound) Black background also .

It's available both in a box and naked ( only hook up some RCA cables and Power supply) , I also ordered some PIO capacitors for the output.

It has the benefits of direct USB connection without any jitter causing SPdif conversion. there are not a lot of USB DACs that offer this at the 130-250 dollar price point.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 16
I've heard the zhaolu 2.5 in stock form and I wasn't impressed. It had a really narrow soundstage and no bottom end, compared to my own DAC (which was also in stock form at that point), a discontinued M-audio SuperDAC.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 16
May I blatantly recommend the USB DAC that I'm selling?
smily_headphones1.gif

The tech detail and RMAA can be found in a post in Audio Circle (it is long, and posting it all here doesn't seem to be prudent...
wink.gif

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=44975.0

It is a USB DAC designed for one purpose only, USB interfaced DAC, and I would say that it does the job quite well. I sell them direct and via ebay, and I do follow up after the sale to make sure all of the buyers are happy with their purchase. So far all of them seem to like it a lot (according to my mail and ebay feedback :p)

I'm somewhat involved in the tuning and design of this DAC, and if you got any questions about this DAC (or other stuff in general), I'd be happy to discuss it with everyone.
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 16
Puttin' my 2 cents in for Peters Deluxe DAC kit with USB. I got mine assembled and mounted on a maple board. It has a Hammond transformer, IEC connection to switch cords if you want. He has a thread on diyaudio. His fancy chassis model sells for $900. Mine was $350 delivered. 1 USB input and 1 pair Cardas RCA outs...it rocks, period. 3"x6"

pRAT in spades...body, slam, yet with plenty detail and 'air'. The sonics are palpable...

Zhalou is a little bright for my tastes...

ciao, tea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back