Zhaolu D2.5C or Zero Dac/Amp?
Aug 2, 2008 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thedauntlessone

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting a new dac/amp combo and it seems like either the Zhaolu or the Zero is the best bet.

Are both amps built very similarly? Do they sound similar?

They're cost about the same for me so price is not an issue.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 8
I was getting ready to buy the zero, but the zhaolu is looking like a better option now, it has preamp outputs and rca inputs. The zero would be useless with any non digital sources like an ipod or a turntable, but the zhaolu looks a little bit more versatile. Im am curious to hear about the sound

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I was thinking about the Zhaolu 3.0 also but I went with the zero dac instead. So far it sounds pretty good, an improvement over my x-fi elite pro right out of the box. I am going to wait a bit and then do a huge review of some sort. If the zhaolu costs the same as the zero for you, then I would go with the Zhaolu, it uses a better dac called the CS4398.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedauntlessone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, the Zero uses the older AD chip? I guess I'll get the Zhaolu 2.5C. I can get it locally too.

BTW Zhaolu 3.0 doesn't have a headphone out.

I didn't know that, yeah the Zero dac uses the ad chip, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad, sounds pretty good to me!

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know that, yeah the Zero dac uses the ad chip, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad, sounds pretty good to me!

Two points .... One) in my experience the quality of the analog output stage has a far greater effect on the sound quality than the choice of dac. Two) the stock Zhalou is quite good, especially with the discrete headamp option.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two points .... One) in my experience the quality of the analog output stage has a far greater effect on the sound quality than the choice of dac. Two) the stock Zhalou is quite good, especially with the discrete headamp option.

and why are you telling me this? I already know the zero sounds pretty good even though it has an older dac chip and I said that I would of gone for the Zhaolu before.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and why are you telling me this? I already know the zero sounds pretty good even though it has an older dac chip and I said that I would of gone for the Zhaolu before.

I wasnt telling you anything I commented the final sound is more than the dac chip which you seem focused on. All dacs have an analog output stage and a lot of people overlook this fact. Most of the dac chips after 2000 are very good and the analog section is what really makes the sound quality difference in most examples.

#2 was a general post on the topic for you and the OP after reading the previous posts. I commented here because you didnt appear to know much about the Zhalou. I had the stock Zhalou with the discrete headamp before I had the dac modded with a zap filter analog output stage ..... which transforms the dac by the way. I was confirming the Zhalou with the discrete headamp is good. However, without the discrete headamp I can tell you I was much less impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back