zhaolu 2 stopped working! help!
Dec 18, 2006 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

educator

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using a zhaolu 2.0 for the past six months with absolutely no problems. Suddenly it just stopped working. No led's light up. No sound. I opened the case and didn't see anything wrong. It was still warm inside indicating it had been working until just before I tried to use it.

Any ideas??!

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using a zhaolu 2.0 for the past six months with absolutely no problems. Suddenly it just stopped working. No led's light up. No sound. I opened the case and didn't see anything wrong. It was still warm inside indicating it had been working until just before I tried to use it.

Any ideas??!

Fuse?
Did you check the voltages?
Opamps get +15 and -15 so you should get 30V across.
The rest should het 5V I guess.
You did check the LEDs inside the case?

Dec 18, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't know too much about electronics. Also where's the fuse in the zhaolu? The left back section of the inside of the dac has a special cover with an electrical warning on it. Is the fuse in there? If the power is disconnected is there anything dangerous in there?

Thanks for helping.

Dec 18, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 16
The fuse can be found right next to the IEC power inlet on the outside of the chassis, in a little compartment that can be removed easily. Look next to the IEC inlet, there's an illustration of a fuse and some writing - the fuse is in there. With the power cord removed use a small screw driver and insert it in the little slot on the inside of the IEC inlet and then pry the fuse slot outward toward you and then pull it out. There's the fuse and a spare one in in there as well. Swap the fuses and reinsert the fuse compartment into the IEC inlet. See if that is it.

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 16
Great! I don't know what could have made it blow, haven't heard of that happening other than when people have installed an opamp in backwards. As a side note, if you install an opamp in backwards in a 2.0 or 2.5 those DC blocking caps will protect the DAC chip from frying and blow a fuse, but if you short those DC caps via the popular mod you have to be more careful as installing an opamp in backwards after that you will fry the DAC chip. If you were not fiddling with the opamps then I'm not sure what could have caused it. As for where to get one, just make sure you buy the same value and I am betting something like Radio Shack should have them.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 16
Your fuse problem may be due to the specs and tolerance of MIC (made in China) fuses.

I will normally replaced these fuses with fuses that I can trust to do the job.

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your fuse problem may be due to the specs and tolerance of MIC (made in China) fuses.

I will normally replaced these fuses with fuses that I can trust to do the job.

So that they don't blow?

Fuses are made to blow!

Dec 19, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 16
Ive had fuses blow when the power cord had worked its way loose and was arcing.

May 25, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 16
hm sorry to "bump" this per say, but I'm currently have the same problem. I did switch the fuse, and it did turn on, then i turned it off and tried turning it on again and it stopped working. I checked the fuse and it died :/ I do have a modded d2.0, so could that be it? The thing has worked well over a year, I'm just wondering if I can use better fuses as suggested, and if so, which ones? The fuses that were included by default were f0.5a250v

May 25, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 16
That would indicate that the current exceeded 0.5A. Just go to ratshack or a hardware store and get the proper form factor 0.5A 250VAC rated fast blow fuse (and maybe some friends for it, as in don't buy just one). If the new one blows, then you may have something wrong inside the DAC.

May 25, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 16
hm the fuse that came with the dac is an F0.5A 250v fuse. I went to radioshack and they gave me a 5A250v fuse.. Anyways, I put in the 5a250v fuses back in, and the dac starts, but is making a weird hum sound. I immediately shut it off, and there is now a nasty smell coming from the dack! I google F0.5A 250v, and all I get are weird links to chinese sites..what fuse can work with this thing without blowing up my house?!

May 27, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sketchr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm the fuse that came with the dac is an F0.5A 250v fuse. I went to radioshack and they gave me a 5A250v fuse.. Anyways, I put in the 5a250v fuses back in, and the dac starts, but is making a weird hum sound. I immediately shut it off, and there is now a nasty smell coming from the dack! I google F0.5A 250v, and all I get are weird links to chinese sites..what fuse can work with this thing without blowing up my house?!

Am I reading right and you installed a 5 amp fuse instead of a 0.5 amp fuse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back