Zhaolu 2.0 ARRIVED!!! IMPRESSION INSIDE!
Aug 7, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #841 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulcata_geo
Thanks Ori.
Should I remove the four caps and make bypass? Or is it OK only bypass without removal.If later, it's very easy.

No need to remove the caps! Just solder a wire from side to side... the easy way...
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #842 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
No need to remove the caps! Just solder a wire from side to side... the easy way...
biggrin.gif

I performed the bypass surgery.
It was easy.
580smile.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #844 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulcata_geo
I performed the bypass surgery.
It was easy.
580smile.gif

Excellent!!! Now you can proudly call yourself a DIYer!!!
k1000smile.gif

But... How is the sound after the mod!
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #845 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Please post pics.

JvDtNTBq81FPr1toddik2dkEfwnnq4GIHfzje65IECNNXpO1hdCIlgs6cZ5TbXHB.jpg

I used solid copper wire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
Excellent!!! Now you can proudly call yourself a DIYer!!!
k1000smile.gif

But... How is the sound after the mod!
biggrin.gif

The sound is more transparent.
580smile.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #846 of 858
i just came across somneone selling a ZHAOLU 2.5 on ebay... around £120...

sorry if its been coverd in the thread already,,, ( not got 4 days spare to read through,, hehe)
But could anyone please give me a quick answer if these are good as headphone amps? i have some Senn 580`s and never got round to getting a headphone amp for them,,,, so saw this and thought might be time
smily_headphones1.gif

unless anyone can suggest anything else at a similer price (or lower if poss,, im skint atm ;0( ) that would be better.. thnx for any help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #847 of 858
The integrated headphone amp sucks, imo, but I hear the discrete one is pretty good.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #848 of 858
Well, I had to undo the "bypass the four caps" mod, because I was getting 'thumps' on my left speaker and my headphone amp each time I switched from or to the DAC, so there you go, they DO have some use after all...To be honest I don't feel I've lost that much sound wise (sound seems a little "narrower" now), maybe even gained a little bass?

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #849 of 858
Can I use single channel opamps in the D2?

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #851 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a tiny distance, so any wire you can solder would work fine. What you used looks mostly OK, but check the top right solder joint - looks like it might be a "cold" one.
The wires are very long, but probably OK. Since they are long, you can yank on them to make sure the solder joints don't come apart. Also, make sure the exposed ends don't touch the adjascent traces.

Zho2_mod.jpg

As you can see in the pic, I used bare copper wire. I first removed the caps, then used a solder "wick" to remove solder from these holes. I inserted the wire from the top side, soldered on the bottom and clipped the excess wire. Comes out much cleaner this way...
The pic also shows two more optional mods:
Disconnecting XLR: do this only if you never intend to use XLR outputs. De-solder (or clip) the end of the 4 resistors, as shown. I left them hanging in there, so it's easy to restore the XLR connection in the future.
Default to coax input: This is a brute-force way of doing it, but it works... solder a wire across the contacts under the board. Disconnect the flat cable that goes to the switches on the front panel.
Of course, the headamp should be totaly disconnected. The pic also shows the two OPA2604 opamps, replacing the LT1057 that Eddie sent. Beware of [people] bearing gifts...
biggrin.gif

Start to finish takes about half an hour, if you turn on the soldering iron and let it heat up while you remove all the case and main board screws...
Ah, before I forget... Please disconnect the power cord before doing any work on the unit (just to cover my behind...)

Disclaimer: These mods were tried only on a single unit. If you don't feel comfortable possibly taking a slight risk or you are somewhat dangerous with the soldering iron then don't do these mods. As they say in Legalese, this picture and text are for entertainment purposes only...

Best first noobie mod EVER! But i did lose a screw and burnt two of my fingers witht he soldering iron... Oww... I lost my finger prints too
eek.gif
... *cries*

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #852 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best first noobie mod EVER! But i did lose a screw and burnt two of my fingers witht he soldering iron... Oww... I lost my finger prints too
eek.gif
... *cries*

congrats... that was my first (and last) mod i'll ever do.... hopefully your experience was better than mine.

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #853 of 858
What's the story?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #854 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the story?
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought a sodering kit just of the occasion. i messed it up so badly i had to take it to a radio repair shop to get them to put it back where it was... i did finally get it.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #855 of 858
What's the consensus on the latest Zhaolu D2.5c ? Why'd this thread just end and die? It was all about the D2 and D2C but now there is D2.5C and I am new to discovering these Zhaolu DAC/amps. Have any of your Zhaolu owners kept up and can tell me what the differences are? There is a D3 also but I bought the D2.5C with discrete amp module because I wanted a headphone amp built in to my DAC. Dunno if I made the wise choice or not... I also found and bought a Zhaolu look-alike called Zero 24/192 DAC/amp which uses the AD1872 DAC and OPA2604 op amp (headphone amp uses JRC5532 op amps). I swapped the opa2604 op amp with opa627's and it sounds better to me. pretty good! Is anyone up-to-date enough to tell me what are the differences I am asking about (above)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back