Zero vs Apogee Duet with DarkVoice 336SE/LD III/IV
Aug 15, 2008 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

twfact

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just picked up a Zero on here and am trying to decide what my next move should be. I'm using the optical out on my Macbook to the Zero and so far it's sounding pretty good, but I've also read some good things about the Duet. I plan to get either a 336SE or a LD III/IV (is it really worth the $100 price bump?), so I'll probably be plugging one of those into either the Duet or the Zero eventually. One night thing about the Zero is that it's got a decent amp, but I'll have to buy one if I get a Duet. I'm using it with a pair of AKG K240's right now but I'd like to try the K701's sometime in the future.

So is it worth it? Losing the built-in amp, paying $300 more, and being locked into only Macs?

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 7
The built in amp in the duet is quite good. I wouldn't be surprised if it bested the other amps you're considering.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 7
I can help with the Duet vs 336i, I think.

I have done a comparison of my Apogee Mini-DAC with Blutarsky's Apogee Duet, and found them to be very close to identical (using the stock PSU). In seque, I have been able to compare the mini-DAC ($1095 but as a DAC and Amp) to my DV336i with a great tube set that would cost about $100-120 ($420 total with shipping). I think the Headphone out of the mini-DAC/Duet is a little better resolved and refined vs the 336i, but not by a huge margin.

The mini-DAC/Duet headphone out is a little smoother and the 336i can be a little sharper, which sounds funny when considering the Apogee is solid state discrete output and the 336i is a tube amp. The Apogee DAC's actually have a lot of the sonic traits of my TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid, but with better speed and detail. Nevertheless, they are all very good sounding and very enjoyable.

With most good amps the differences are often small and subtle, and a doubling of price may only be a 10-15% improvement. With that in mind, my $1150 Maxed WA6 with pseudo-dual PS is a little better than those two but not worlds apart, and my $1,700 Single Power Square Wave XL (also solid state discrete output) is only a little above the Woo and Apogee. But, as you move up in quality (but not always price) the increases in refinement and transparency and neutrality become a much more clear window into the music - more like open window vs closed window vs dirty window.

Also, much of which choice is better is going to depend on personal tastes, headphones being used which affects synergy, source and tubes, music preferences, etc... However, I am fairly sure any of these options discussed here will have a somewhat better headphone out than the Zero with upgraded opamps, even the OPA627 that is so popular. I have compared two nice SS amps using OPA627 opamps (M^3 and Travagans) to the Apogee mini-DAC, and they are all on pretty much the same level, but I don't see a $99 + shipping Zero surpassing the mini-DAC or Duet any time soon.

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Larry, if you get a chance to try an upgraded Zero, you might be surprised.

Through ALO-recabled K701's, the Duet sounded unbearably analytical compared to the Zero with OPA627s. I wouldn't say the Duet or Zero have the edge on each other. With my current Denons, there's little difference.

Another thing, the Duet is powered from a Firewire port, so it has only as much grunt as a Mac can provide via it. It doesn't drive especially low impedence phones as well as a mains-powered amp. It does do remarkably well though, considering it's not designed as a headphone amp.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, if you get a chance to try an upgraded Zero, you might be surprised.

Through ALO-recabled K701's, the Duet sounded unbearably analytical compared to the Zero with OPA627s. I wouldn't say the Duet or Zero have the edge on each other. With my current Denons, there's little difference.

Another thing, the Duet is powered from a Firewire port, so it has only as much grunt as a Mac can provide via it. It doesn't drive especially low impedence phones as well as a mains-powered amp. It does do remarkably well though, considering it's not designed as a headphone amp.

I think we're still pretty much on the same page.
smily_headphones1.gif

I noted that two SS amps with OPA627 vs the Duet/mini-DAC headphone out were "on pretty much the same level" and that Apogee is slightly better than the 336i, and that "I don't see a $99 + shipping Zero surpassing the mini-DAC or Duet any time soon."

Even you are putting the modded Zero vs Duet headphone out on about the same level, accounting for synergy (Denon) or lack thereof (K701) with certain headphones. Your Zero did not cost $99 after 2 or 4 dual channel opamp upgrades, and hasn't surpassed the Duet according to what you wrote.

In regards to synergy of the K701 with Zero and Duet. I realize that you are not saying that failure to please with one headphone means failure with them all. I had K701 for about 3 days and I assure you that it was easy to find an amp that will make them "unbearably analytical" as you put it. Out of my Dark Voice 336i that is exactly what I got out of the K701, and I got the same unbearably analytical result with the W11R, W5000 and CD3000. But that same Dark Voice really shines and sounds great with HD600, RS-1, HP-1000, Edition 9, D2000, Grado HF-1, Proline 2500, HFI-700, HFI-780, Yamaha HP-1, AKG K240M and Alessandro MS-1.

Obviously I am not gonna say the Dark Voice 336i isn't a great amp based on the failure to make those very few headphones sound good (12 out of 16 were a success). At the time I got the K701 my 336i was my best amp in the house, and I didn't know about the nice bassy Tung Sol 5998 tube for it, but I did have a nice JAN CRC RCA 6AS7G in it. So the K701 were sold because I did not yet have anything to drive them that would make them sound good. It's good to know the K701 have more synergy with a SS amp with OPA627 opamps.

What I saw here was the OP being happy with the Zero but looking to upgrade the Zero's headphone amp to either a 336SE or a LD III/IV, and in his musings he wrote about maybe buying a Duet to go with the new amp. It looked like he was assuming the Duet doesn't drive headphones (or assumed it doesn't do it well, not sure). So, my goal was just to express how good the headphone out of the Duet is, and that the 336i is very close to that. I didn't mean to phrase my reply in a way that would make it look like I was putting down the Zero.

He could certainly drive the 336 or MkIV with the Zero and get great sound, but will it be better than modding the Zero's opamps? Don't know. But, what I do know is that if he buys a Duet then it might actually sound the same or better via the built-in headphone jack than when driving a Dark Voice 336i. I've spent a fair amount of time listening to Blutarsky's Duet, and it is wonderful with Grado RS-1, Grado HP-1000, Grado PS-1, Denon D2000 and HD600.

I don't know how the Zero sounds, but I wanted to help and was able to use some circuitous reasoning to at least compare the other items that he asked about - i.e. I have heard 336i vs mini-DAC, mini-DAC vs Duet, 336i and mini-DAC vs 2 other OPA627 amps that might sound like a modded Zero, etc... Then I threw in a couple of amps that I have heard that might be a more clear upgrade over what he has (or over the Duet) than what he listed. I would hate for someone to end up spending $500 on Duet and $300 shipped for tube amp, just to find the combo only a little better than what he has and end up being disappointed. Obviously you would hate for him to spend the $800, when he could buy opamps for $60-120 to upgrade the Zero first.

So using that reasoning - if you say the Zero with OPA627 opamps is similar to the Duet and better with K701, and I say the Duet/mini-DAC is slightly better than a 336i and slightly behind a Woo WA6 - then one option is to upgrade the Zero's opamps, but then if not satisfied he could add a WA6 amp to the Zero (as a DAC only). The WA6 with only the pseudo dual power supply mod would be about $700, and added to the modded Zero as the source should be an upgrade over the 336i or the Duet (or both together). It wont be transportable like the Duet, but he wont be locked into Macs and will get a better headphone amp section in the deal.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks Larry for clarifying. I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for my LD MKV as the Darkvoice with K701s. I'm off to get a Shanling I think...

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Larry for clarifying. I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for my LD MKV as the Darkvoice with K701s. I'm off to get a Shanling I think...

It took me a bit of work to compose my reply, so it would be clear. I'm glad you understood it. I am dying to know what the OP thinks about everything we've said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back