Zero or LD MKIII
Oct 27, 2008 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

solessthanthree

100+ Head-Fier
I didn't know where to ask this so I thought I'd try here. I'm starting up with a pair for DT770s (as my computer as the source) and I was wondering whether I should try out a Zero with DAC first or a LD MKIII. I really only have enough in my budget for one so I was wondering If the DAC was entirely necessary or if I should just go with the LD. Thanks :]

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 6
If you have a good soundcard, I'd say go for the amp (LD MKIII).

If you are using your onboard soundcard (or any other crappy soundcard), then go for the ZERO, the amp (LD MKIII) will only amplify the crappyness of such a source. The ZERO will give you an excellent DAC for it's price, and give you a decent amp.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 6
x2 what DaMnEd said. You'll be more satisfied with a good DAC/amp combo than you would with an amp that just reveals that you have a crap soundcard. The Zero's inbuilt headphone amp (if you get the upgraded version) should cover you nicely until, down the track, you feel a want or need to buy a dedicated amp.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a three year old Audigy 2 ZS, so I think I'll probably go check out that Zero. Thanks a lot for the straight forward responses guys! :]

Edit: Errr... What's the difference between the normal and upgraded ones? And where can I pick one up (sorry for the noob questions :[)

Edit: Ahhh stupid me. Looked up two posts and clicked on Currawong's link XD really helped out :]

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 6
There are several upgrades but the most popular is probably an op-amp upgrade. The most popular op-amp is probably the OPA627. It cost about $40 and you can do it yourself or buy the Zero with them already installed.

I'm not sure where the best place to buy one is. I think most people buy from Chan Chi Kwan (biglawhk) on ebay. You should probably ask over in the Zero thread and make sure he still sells them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back