Zero DAC(130$ DAC)+60$ dvd player= ???$ CDP
Sep 3, 2008 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alxwang

100+ Head-Fier
Like title. I want to know Zero DAC(130$ DAC)+60$ dvd player= ???$ CDP.

I am looking for a CDP now but I do not know which price tag I should look into.

I already have Zero DAC(130$ DAC)+60$ dvd player so if the new CDP is worse then this I just should not get it.

Thanks a lot!

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 10
I've never heard the Zero, but IMHO, source is something that you need to spend a lot more to get significant objective improvement (rather than just sounded different).

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 10
Agreed!! I have my Zero connected by coax to a sony DVD player and the optical to four sony CDP-cx455 jukeboxes....both sound fantastic!! I will take the Pepsi Challenge with my setup against a Cambridge 840C or a Marantz SA-8001 any time!!

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpfloridian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed!! I have my Zero connected by coax to a sony DVD player and the optical to four sony CDP-cx455 jukeboxes....both sound fantastic!! I will take the Pepsi Challenge with my setup against a Cambridge 840C or a Marantz SA-8001 any time!!

Really, so you think the Zero is as good as those units? Have you heard the 840c or SA8001?

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 10
Yes, I have heard them both extensively..I was going to buy one this summer until I discovered the Zero on a thread here. With the proper mods to the Zero; it is very good!! ...but I will not discredit the SA-8001 for SACD. That is another topic.... But since I only collect Redbook CD's I will take the Zero against the other two any day.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpfloridian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have heard them both extensively..I was going to buy one this summer until I discovered the Zero on a thread here. With the proper mods to the Zero; it is very good!! ...but I will not discredit the SA-8001 for SACD. That is another topic.... But since I only collect Redbook CD's I will take the Zero against the other two any day.

You're kidding right!?

840C : Dual-Mono AD1955s, no coupling cops in signal path, differential output stage.
Zero : Single AD1852 with OPA2604 on output and correct me if I'm wrong, but those are electrolytic coupling caps?

By the way, I read your post in the Zero thread, you said you put an OPA637 in your DAC and it sounds good? Funny, OPA637 isn't unity-gain stable, it wouldn't work at all. How exactly did you make that finicky opamp work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back