Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Nov 8, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,326 of 6,090
I just want to say that I've recently acquired the Flare R2Pro, which I consider to be a direct upgrade from the tenore. It has the same sort of sound signature, but the sub bass is there, sound stage is a little better, clarity is a little better, etc. It also has the same form factor and fits nicely. I'd recommend checking out the R2 and R2Pro if you like the tenore.

Yeah but £175??? Are you freaking kidding me?

What a rip off for a marginal increase in quality.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5,327 of 6,090

I agree, but the price/performance of the audio world has always been ridiculous. At least they keep me satisfied enough to avoid $2k CIEMS for now.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5,328 of 6,090
I agree, but the price/performance of the audio world has always been ridiculous. At least they keep me satisfied enough to avoid $2k CIEMS for now. :D

True, however for anyone that's looking for a marginal upgrade for the Tenores I'd advise to try the Yamaha eph 100.

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,330 of 6,090
If you want a cheaper upgrade option, check out the LZ-A2 thread.  I'm still burning in, but I like them more than the Tenore so far.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5,331 of 6,090
Yeah, $264 vs $38 shipped Amazon Prime is a big difference lol. I love these Tenores, put a smile on my face with many songs. Hearing new things in the songs, DJ Snake & AlunaGeorge "You Know You Like It" sounded like a whole new song to me. The quick kick drums in Metal songs Opeth and System of a Down is awesome. Then throw on Willie Nelson's "Crazy (2001 Digital Remastered Version)" and it felt like I was in the room with him, loving the sound stage. They are definitely non-fatiguing, I do find though I'm having to turn my FiiO E07K up to 38-40 where as all my other gear I leave around 32-35, weird since its only 16 ohm but I guess the highs not being so shrill to my ears it doesn't bother me

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,333 of 6,090
I have a pair of ts-400 complys and a couple sets of bi-flanges I'm gonna swap on tonight and see how I like em versus the stock tips that came on them which so far have been fantastic. I have bi-flanges on my Delta's and they are a bit bulky for me but still fit fine

EDIT: Tried it with the bi-flanges, didn't care for it, bass seemed to be slightly improved but the highs were very fatiguing after 20-30 min and the mids more recessed, seem to miss some details. Went back to my stock tips and all was good again. Will have to try my complys still

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #5,334 of 6,090

I would disagree that its a marginal increase in quality - the clarity in the R2s is far superior, the overall sound is much more natural and the soundstage is nothing less than stunning. Its just a pity that they're so damn quiet and need to be driven much more than most IEMs I've encountered. Ok they're ten times the price and I love the sound of the Tenores at the price point they're at but sound wise, there is no comparison.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5,335 of 6,090
For how much more they are I would expect them to have a big difference in sound lol

Damn these little guys though, I tried to go back to listening to my Brainwavz Delta and I couldn't, the sound is so muffled and narrow, though the highs are a bit more engaging though. Kinda scared to see how I feel about my GR02's now lol.

I also ordered my girlfriend a pair of the Tenores and got them yesterday, listening to them fresh compared to mine which have about 10-15 hours burn in, you can really hear the diference

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #5,336 of 6,090
  I did a Google search on LZ-A2.  The first two were head-fi friendly, the rest were monoclonal antibody related.  Would not want to put that in my ears!

Haha!  Here is the thread to them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/786210/new-3-way-hybrid-ba-dd-iem-lz-a2-including-dd-a1

Here is the seller.  On sale tomorrow for $82:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Newest-LZ-A2-Dynamic-and-Armature-3-unit-Headphones-HIFI-Fever-Earphone-As-K3003-DIY/32501370155.html

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,337 of 6,090
Nov 11, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #5,338 of 6,090
They look really big and ugly lol

You think so?  They're gold :)

They sound amazing.  Since I'm still looking for perfect sound, the only knock I have on them is that they aren't tuned as naturally, so they sound a little artificial and not like the singer really sounds.  However, they are better than the Tenore in clarity and energy.

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #5,340 of 6,090
One thing I noticed is these have the most microphonics out of any earphone I own, doing the over ear cut it down to zero and actually made the ear tips slightly more comfortable. I have the meelec biflange on order, gonna see how they sound since the biflange I used before were from my V-Sonic GR02s so it wasn't a good fit for the ZA. Considering order the 6 pairs of the JVC Medium Spirals for $20 off Amazon Prime, saw them mentioned a few times in this thread, not sure if any definite sound with them are. Stock are fine but hey can't have enough tips right?

Also, threw on some of your Trance mixes Andreas, left them to burn in for a few hours, came back and through on some of my music and wow they sounded even better. Seems like there was height added to the sound stage now, everything sounded a lot more open. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back