Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Oct 5, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #5,311 of 6,090
  I repeat myself. The only bad thing about them I can tell is that they should sound louder. They isolate good enough so the background noise does not cause any trouble, but I miss that sweet extra loudness that makes audio tracks sound even better. 
basshead.gif

Would a nice DAP, like FiiO's X5ii, make a difference?

The output power provided by my smartphone to my earphones is a lot lower than the output power provided by any professional audio player out there, right?

Which should mean that for example a 70% of a PRO DAP's earphone volume equals the 100% of my Samsung's earphone volume, right?

Buddy, i think you need an amp more than a DAC. A $60 Fiio E11k should drive your tenores and almost all other IEM's without breaking a sweat. Also you'll see a slight improvement in stoundstage. Else you can also get a Topping NX1 for $35. They are pretty much unbeatable for their price i heard.

Cheers. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #5,312 of 6,090
Depends on what his source is right now. Out of a laptop or something? His DAC is going to be passable. Out of an iphone? Its practically the weakest link in his setup in that case.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,313 of 6,090
Samsung phones actually don't have that much amp power. HTC M8/9 and iPhones from 5S forward are noticeably louder.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,314 of 6,090
OK, my question is:

How much louder a professional DAP like FiiO X5ii is compared to an average smartphone?

100% in the volume of the smartphone aprox. equals what % of a good DAP?

70%?

Besides output power (which I suppose is the loudness it can give), what else makes a DAP better than a smartphone?

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #5,316 of 6,090
OK, my question is:

How much louder a professional DAP like FiiO X5ii is compared to an average smartphone?

70%?

Besides output power (which I suppose is the loudness it can give), what else makes a DAP better than a smartphone?

Power to drive more demanding headphones. In my honest opinion a smartphone can sound better than a DAP. Just like Meizu M1 Note which has cleaner and better sound than Ap100. Two of my friends who have auditioned both M1 Note and Ap100 also found M1 better in all areas. The only con is the amp section which is weaker than Ap100 as you can all expect. However adding an amp into the chain makes M1 better and more refined.

I don't know which dac Meizu implemented in M1 Note but it's the best I've heard from an android based phone.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #5,317 of 6,090
Check out the LG V10 thread. :D

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #5,318 of 6,090
yeah...looking forward to the V10; get to JUMP upgrade for 'free' and hope this stops me from buying a DX90 or X5

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,319 of 6,090
  I also have bought many IEMs as an "upgrade" to Tenore, but ended up selling them.  Perhaps one day I'll try the Duoza.

Tenore are much better than Piston V2 in my opinion.  The only thing V2 has on the Tenore is bass quantity.

Agree 100%
Not even a close match,  Tenores are way better.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #5,320 of 6,090
Cuz we all love the word. The Tenore and iPhone 6S have some nice synergy. Noticeable increase in soundstage height and general opening up of the stage compared to the iPhone 5S.

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #5,321 of 6,090
  OK, my question is:

70%?

My subjective impression is that they do sound better if you get to level of X5.  X5 doesn't sound particularly accurate to my ears.  Smartphones do not push dynamics to the level of some of the portable players. With the right iems, high dynamic recording, comparison will be noticeable. I've heard the new Apple products, and it's not as dynamic as the next smartphone, but it has clarity.  The draw with some of the better players is the dynamics it puts out.  If you have the right headphones, the difference is more noticeable.  

As far as power, if you are using iems, it should push out lots of volume, but that's about it.  I don't know if there is some secret DSP work hidden underneath some of these portable players.  Spec and measurements are always great, but don't know what makes the most differences.

I suggest borrowing a hyped player and comparing with a good iem.  Make sure to get a recording that is dynamic and good for comparison.  That should do it.  I have a CIEM that I can rely on at the moment.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5,322 of 6,090
Adding the Tenore's to my collection, $38 shipped via Amazon Prime. I have Thinksound Rain's, Brainwavz Delta and V-Sonic GR02 BE for IEMs and my fullsize are AmazonBasics Premium On Ear and ATH-M50 LE. 

I have the LG V10, don't use it much for audio but turning the DAC on/off I didn't even hear a difference. Didn't try it with a FLAC track though. Most music I play through my laptop using my FiiO E07K DAC/Amp and on the go I use straight out my iPod Touch (sometimes use my E07k too)

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #5,323 of 6,090
Update... Just got them, $38 Amazon Prime shipped. Amazing headphones. Exactly what I've been looking for. Listening to Oh Wonder self titled album per earlier song recommendation, awesome album to show off these IEM strengths. Probably gonna buy a pair for my GF since they are def great for side sleeping

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #5,324 of 6,090
After 2 and a half years my Tenore is still going strong.

The only earphone I found that I like better is the Yamaha EPH 100, but I've always had a soft spot for them. Oh and they cost around £70. Which is way more than Tenores.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #5,325 of 6,090
I just want to say that I've recently acquired the Flare R2Pro, which I consider to be a direct upgrade from the tenore. It has the same sort of sound signature, but the sub bass is there, sound stage is a little better, clarity is a little better, etc. It also has the same form factor and fits nicely. I'd recommend checking out the R2 and R2Pro if you like the tenore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back